1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Eli Apple and William Jackson III

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 9, 2016.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What do the Steelers do if both of them get drafted before #25? I'm not sure any of the safeties are first round material, the Steelers like to take BPA which could be a DL like Sheldon Rankins, Vernon Butler, or Andrew Billings. I guess they could settle for Mackensie Alexander, lately many have been saying he could drop out of the first round.

2. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I don't know that we'd be settling for Mackensie Alexander. He may not get picks, but he doesn't allow catches. We have plenty of people who can take the ball away, not many who can keep a receiver quiet.

3. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    What? You do know that we are one of the worse teams in the league over the last 3-4 years in getting interceptions?

4. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    More than likely it would be Alexander, based on how much focus they are giving the position with their visits. Billings would not surprise me. Maybe even Artie Burns.

5. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The last 3-4 years? I'm talking last year. I'm not judging how 2016 may go based on 2013, I'm judging it based on what they did in 2015.

6. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    If Apple is there and we pick him
    we can compare him to all things

if both are gone
    we get Rankins
    which would make my 1st rd pick right
    that holds precedent to all

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

We were tied in 6th place out of 32 teams in interceptions with 17 in 2015, thats good improvement but we can do better than that this year with some additions to the secondary, and not all those picks were made by DBs, but if they can snag enough picks to rank in the top 5 this year I will be happy with that......

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If Apple and WJIII are gone, I would be happy with Karl Joseph or Billings. I haven't seen where they've brought in Kendall Fuller, so is the interest there? With the injury, you'd think they would at least have a meeting to discuss rehab, prognosis, football IQ, etc. They haven't brought Joseph in either. He was talking to Tomlin at the WVU pro day but that's all I've seen.

I guess it doesn't mean they are off the list, but you would think they would meet 1 on 1 with their first rounders. I know they usually meet with a lot of their picks, but have they met with all their 1st rnd picks in the recent years?

9. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    If the Titans take Ramsey instead of Tunsil, then that will be a bad omen for us seeing Apple or WJIII.

10. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    They should take a LT to protect Mariota though.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think they will I think this is all smoke to make someone jump up with a great deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Hey NY, who do you like better? Jackson or Apple?

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  14. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    The more I read about McKenzie Alexander, the more I want to stay away from him. If Apple or Jackson are not there, I definitely dont want to reach for Alexander. To me, he's well below Apple & WJIII in upside and ceiling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have to watch them both again the 1st time I wasn't to impressed with Apple, but if I have to choose right now I like WJax3.....

16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I kinda feel the same way about Alexander. While I wouldn't totally hate the pick, it seems like he wasn't contesting many of the incompletions thrown his way. Maybe some of that was scheme related (played a lot of bail technique), but I couldn't tell you one way or the other. I like both Apple and Jackson, but it seems like we have shown a lot more interest in Jackson than Apple. I'd be surprised if we took Apple honestly.

I think Apple is the better cover player of the two. He doesn't get beaten near as often as Jackson did and is much more fluid in his hips. His lack of physicality and poor tackling ability scare me tho. Jackson is much more physical, but way more stiff in coverage. he's a good scheme fit tho. While he's more physical, he still isn't a great tackler. More of a hitter than a wrap up guy, so he completely whiffs sometimes.

Neither would get much playing time as rookies. They are projects in different areas. I'd be content with either of them, but depending on how the draft unfolds there could be better players available to us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    SG, I think this is a solid eval. I'm not seeing big upside to Alexander. I think he's the most pro ready of the 3 in terms of tackling and not giving up big plays, but I don't see exceptional speed or quickness to get a lot better. I wouldn't hate him at #25 because I think he improves our pass defense day 1, but my long run expectations would be that he'd simply be a good corner, and not a top corner.

I like Jackson's long term upside in our scheme. I don't think he'll ever be a shut down press man corner because of the stiffness you pointed out. However, we don't press much, and he has nice instincts and ball skills in off man and zone. What I don't like is his lack of physicality in tight coverage and his truly awful tackling technique. He will need to fix both to become an every down corner. I think he would see the field in some nickel and dime situations as a rookie, but he's at least a year away from being able to log significant snaps IMO.

I see Apple as having significant upside - more than Jackson because he has that short area change of direction ability that you want to see in a corner. He is pretty sticky in downfield coverage, and I didn't see him give up big plays when I watched film. Where I have concerns is his tackling. He seems a bit contact shy, and that raises a flag. I would also note the lack of red zone aggression that shows up on his Oregon tape when he gave up a cakewalk TD on an inside move. Ugly play, but very correctable.

My order of preference of the 3 is Apple, Jackson, Alexander, but it's close, and frankly (subject to medical) I'd rather have Fuller than either Jackson or Alexander for our scheme. I also think Artie Burns is knocking on the door of being in this group. He's yet another guy with upside that may not do much in 2016.

18. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Apple is significantly better than Jackson, in practically all aspects... and because of that has a much higher ceiling.
    Jackson is the consolation prize... if we drafted Jackson, it would mean none of the best fit/higher value players fell in our lap (Billings, Apple, Dodd, Ogbah, etc) and that we reached for need at corner...

Mackenzie Alexander just isn't very good....

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would like for the Steelers to trade back or even out of the 1st. round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    As bad as our secondary is, whoever we get, they need to start from day 1 because it can't get any worse then what we've seen the last couple of years. At least the guy we draft will be better then anything else we've got. I think the rookie corner WILL BE a big contributor this year; he has no choice based on what else we have.

21. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i tend to think apple will be gone and jackson probably too , if we reach for a cb will be burns that personally i like .. but this draft is an head scratcher if our first targets are gone i would try to trade down and pick one more player between the first 3 rounds

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  22. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I have a bad feeling that your right about Jackson and Apple.

23. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If both are gone I see them taking Billings. Rankings won't slide past 14 and the other DBs are solid , but not a 1st rounder IMO. However, if your team needs a CB and you take one 20 spots too soon according to other draft sites what does it matter? Dallas reached on a guy two years ago who was a 3-4 rounder with their 1st round pick and the guys a Pro Bowler, so it's all based on what the team desires. IMO our pick is gonna be Bilings, but that S from WVU ( forget his name right now) is very enticing.

24. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Hell of a post. And something I've been saying for years now. If you reach, as long as that reach pans out, it's all good. If your scouting is that good and your scouting says this guy is going to be a good starter, go right ahead and pull that trigger. Let the talking heads talk, because by the end of the season, once he pans out, the wagging tongues become silent Samantha's.

25. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I'm watching what the Bucs and then the Raiders do. I suspect the Bucs are going to take hargraves. And that's fine; I'm not a big fan of his. But then, the Raiders are the key. If the Raiders take Shaq Lawson then I think Apple and Jackson have a good shot at being there when we pick. At least one of them should be there if the Raiders go ahead and and by pass the cornerback position.