1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Edmunds Regressed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The issue with drafting Edmunds in the first was that the S position had become too much of a position of need. There are a number of factors leading up to that, like having too much faith in Mitchell, Davis not panning out and missing on or not pursuing some FAs.

And that in turn is affected by the moves they made in the first round to replace Worilds and Woodley.

Colbert started drafting against his own draft philosophy. Some of that was events outside of his making; some was entirely; some was just picks not working out.

They did the same this year with the TE position. Thank goodness Vannett worked out. Shame Fichtner forgot he had any TEs most of the season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We used 3 draft picks on Bush and he gave up far more TDs then Edmunds did, yet hes the second coming. Barron made a difference in this defense over vince. Vince the guy benched in 2018, replaced in 2019 yet we want to replace the guy that replaced him. Vince will count 7 million dollars towards the cap next year. 27 solo tackles this year.

Bostic had over 100 tackles for washington this year. 2 passes defended, a sack and an interception. 3TFL, 6qb hits. He counted 1.8 mil. towards their cap.

Fort had 26 tackles. 1 pass defended. 2 sacks. 4 TFL. 4 qb hits. 650,000 dollars.

Vince is stealing money. This was one of the worst signings Colbert has ever made, yet everyone wants to keep Vince around and make him a possible starter again and then ***** about edmunds.

June 1 cut and split that money into 2 years. Save the 968,000 and use it elsewhere.

Sure cut Barron and edmunds. Make Dangerfield and Vince starters. Here we go backwards again. No dupree or chickillo. We still have cam, watt, bush, fitz, haden, Nelson and a one armed Tuitt to about 4 games. We should be fine.:cool:

3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Edmunds is the new whipping/bust boy. Bush might be on that list next year.

The good thing is the Steelers have several young promising defensive players in which they can continue to build around.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You like tackle stats, so here goes:
    Vince had 55 total tackles and 356 defensive snaps (.154 tackles per snap)
    Barron had 82 total tackles and 720 defensive snaps (.114 tackles per snap)
    Your boy Bostic had 104 total tackles on 960 defensive snaps (.108 tackles per snap)

Vince is no star, but he’s been effective. I don’t want him ever getting 900+ snaps again, but cutting him would be foolish for the minimal savings.

Barron, Edmunds and Bush were the weakest links on this defense. Edmunds and Bush still show promise. Bush actually shows a lot of promise because of his instincts. Barron is a finished product at this point in his career, and that product is not good.

• Like Like x 2
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    VA Tech fan here. DeAngelo Hall and Kam Chancellor were pretty damn good.

Jason Worilds was much better overall than Bud and Jarvis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    my point is he would have been there round 2 or maybe round 3. that's the bust in my mind. want him to improve slowly? great pick him where he doesn't cost you passing on a 1st round talent. We're stuck with him now.

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not too concerned about Bush. He made alot of plays in the run game. Will he ever be a good coverage LB? Who knows.

Edmunds just doesn't have the instincts to be a SS. I actually think Davis played SS better.

Get rid of Barron and I agree put Edmunds in that hybrid role. Indo agree with Scribe that I do think his instincts are just that bad that he may never be a good NFL player.

As for Vince, get rid of him too. Let's see what a healthy UG3 is capable of.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Are we going to trade him for a bag of footballs too?

9. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    This team has many mediocre players. Edmunds is only one of them.

10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We will never know if he would had been there in round 2 or 3. The Bengals selected a safety in round 2 before the Steelers. The 28th pick in the 1st round of the draft is not very far from the 2nd round.

Young players in the NFL develop at different paces. You can continue to see the young man as a bust. I will continue to pull for him to get better.

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Now we just need Jamal Adams and Aaron Donald to be good again lpl

12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s up to the coaching to mask that though

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

People tend to forget that Kam Chancellor would have been a HOF player had that neck injury not got him. The modern Kenny Easley; save for the unfortunate kidney issues. Ultimately, a major reason why the "Leigon of Boom" run defense was so good was because of Kam.

Teams generally did not elect to run at "Bam Bam Kam" for a reason.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Colbert was not always like this mind you. Up until 2015 where the shortcomings became magnified, Colbert was arguably the best. 2015 onwards?! Not so much. As you said, too many external circumstances beyond his control.

That said though, there is also blame to be placed on the Coordinators; Keith Butler and Randy Fichtner collectively. Why it took Keith to FINALLY realize that the Single High Free Safety who can play the Deep Centerfield is the new paradigm of the NFL is BEYOND me. This is even before accouting the infamous Artie Burns pick.

That, my friends, is what is called a REACH!! :@

What is worse is that Xaiven Howard, whom the team MET at Baylor's Pro Day, was STILL on the board!!

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Well, it is likely Jamal Adams will be dealt this offseason. Keep in mind the team elected to trade him just before the trade deadline. The issue was that the New York Jets wanted two first round picks.

While I do agree that Jamal is worth a first, to say he is worth two is absurd. Unless a tier one pass rusher is being dealt with in that trade, heck no. For that matter, Strong Safeties within their rookie contracts like Jamal Adams are rare but Free Safeties within their rookie contracts like Minkah Fitzpatrick are next to IMPOSSIBLE to obtain.

The aforementioned statement though is just further confirmation that Miami got FLEECED!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Devin Bush busting out?! Doubtful in my opinion. People with the demeanor, intensity and desire to match like him don't bust out. Besides, he has had his father and two HOF Linebackers to guide him to this point.

No way he busts out. Terrell Edmunds on the other hand?!?! Unless they change his position, add him to the bust list.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Prime Troy would be worth 2 first rounders imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Same goes for Ed Reed. Acquiring either for just a First Round pick in their prime would have been the steal of the century. Two picks would have been the bare minimum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    The most disappointing thing is that we took him 5 picks ahead of Lamar Jackson.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    it's hindsight and Ravens not only believed in him, they built their whole offense around him to succeed. Our coaching does not do that

• Winner Winner x 2
  21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Your avatar cracks me up... gonna show it to my brother.

Harbaugh coaches circles around Tomlin. Hate to admit it, but Harbaugh is one of the best HCs in the league... top 5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am constantly amazed at the usage of the "we took Terrell Edmunds over Lamar Jackson" statement. It really intrigues me for one major reason. For that matter, a big one...

Does ANYBODY believe that Randy Fichtner will get out of his own way to change?!?!? Randy Fichtner is not an Offensive Coordinator. Randy Fichtner is Ben's best friend.

That is the sole reason why the team did not draft Lamar Jackson. Keep in mind that both Tomlin and Colbert appeared at Lamar's Pro Day. It was clear to the both of them that not only would Lamar not fit into their system, the offense was not going to change for Lamar due to having Ben the same.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Oh I agree, I was kinda making reference to the other thread that was talking about how many SB’s we would have had with Marino.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Marino with the Blitzburgh D, Barry Foster, Bam Morris, Yancey Thigpen, Ernie Mills, Eric Green....and the 90's O line. Yep.... at least 2 Super Bowls there.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't get that either. They were never going to draft Jackson in the first to sit on the bench. Maybe if he fell into the later rounds they would have taken him.