1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Edmunds Regressed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Dec 29, 2019.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Burns and Edmund's have been busts as 1st round picks. Shows that drafting for physical talents alone with high picks is not working.

Colbert has done a great job with many picks but those aren't two of them

2. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Well it definitely does look like Edmunds is playing the wrong position.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This isn't a matter of hindsight. I and many others said that Edmunds was a terrible pick immediately. We were right. He hurt the team this year and he did it quite often. Even fans can see him taking terrible angles, missing tackles and misplaying balls in the air. Aside from maybe Barron, he was the worst player on that defense.

4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not in tuned with today's NFL? Ok. Then why do teams (not just the Steelers) take players like Dupree? Injuries probably set back Dupree's development a bit.

There are also no guarantees when it comes to drafting 1st round picks or any draft picks. There is a long list of 1st round picks that don't pan out from every team.

Teams can have control of 1st round picks for atleast 6 years if they want to use the tools available. Teams typically sign first round picks to 4 year deals with a 5th year team option.
    Teams can use the " tags" if they want to keep players for at least 6 years.

NFL teams have a high percentage of roster turnover every 4 or 5 seasons.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m thinking he might be better as a third baseman.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That makes as much sense as all the talk that he only needs to switch positions and he will finally live up to his draft status.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    So what if you believe you were right? What do you want a cookie? At the end of the day all fans have are opinions. Sometimes fans are right and sometimes they are wrong.

What players didn't hurt the team this year??

Edmund's story isn't over yet. Players can learn from mistakes and improve.

Fans are simply to quick to pass judgment. It's ok. I still have hope for the young man.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Didn’t people want to do that with Jarvis Jones?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The answer is simple - because they expect the players to pan out. Nobody’s drafting players in the first round thinking that it will be fine if they take 5 years to play like first rounders. For the record, I loved the Dupree pick when we made it. I thought he’d be a beast by year two. I was wrong. I didn’t care for the Edmunds pick at all, and part of the reason was the sting of Dupree taking too long to pan out. I don’t like project players in the first round. They rarely work out for the team that drafts them.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Given the fact that his most successful season at Virgina Tech was playing Inside Linebacker in addition to Keith Butler alluding to it I don't see why not. Who knows what could happen?! He was second on the team in tackles.

He is best playing downhill and seeing what is in front of him. For that matter, this is why Terrell had success when he was in the box. Considering that he has experience of the position, Mark Barron going bye bye anyways and an offseason to implement him into the new position, I don't see how this could not change his fortunes.

As I have said before, Pittsburgh is not paying two safeties from the same draft class. Heck, it will be difficult paying two players from the same class anyhow. Why not max out with one of the players with what he does best?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    PWP wanted shazier as a safety

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:facepalm:

Do I remember THOSE days on another forum I used to frequent!! :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He wanted DHB as a safety.

Shortly we will have a post where he wants McCullers as a safety.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That nobody's perfect garbage you keep cluttering this thread with is ridiculous. By your incredibly low standards, no player is ever a bust.

You claimed this was hindsight. It is not. That is why I mention that I and many others were right about Edmunds. It is one of many was you are wrong on this thread.

Edmunds was a bad choice and he has proven it consistently over two seasons. Even Dupree flashed big-play ability at times before this year. Edmunds doesn't make big plays but he sure gives them up.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Then the excuse will be that he hasn't played there long enough and we just need to give him more time. :facepalm:

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    That’s right you’re correct lol still someone wanted shaz as a safety haha

17. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree they expect picks to pan out. Teams know that most players that come into the league need time to develop. Players develop at different paces for different reasons. College schemes, speed of the NFL, what players were asked to do in college, ect are some factors that delay development.

Realistically most organizations probably expect 1st round picks to bloom by their third year. By that time they can decide if they want to resign those players to long teals. If not they have a couple more years to decide based on how those players perform.

At the end of the day the Steelers have Edmunds. Should they cut him or trade him now after 2 seasons or continue to develop him into the player they envisioned when they drafted him?

18. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Sorry if you can't handle the truth that no one is perfect.

I don't dwell on if players are busts or not to be honest. I don't care if people believe the team drafted a bad player. I am an optimist. I realize players should be given adequate time to develop. I also realize that players develop at different paces for different reasons. I also realize that if players don't pan out teams move on. No point dwelling or crying about it.

One good thing about the NFL is that teams generally have a large majority of roster turnover every 4 or 5 seasons.

Edmunds has shown ability contrary to what you and others believe. We will see how his career develops. The Steelers are going to give him time. Nothing is going to change that fact. I will be pulling for him to succeed instead of believing he was a bust.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not a safety, a running back. Keep up man!

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Quick question for those of you who have broken down film on him for two years. Is the role he played last season with Davis the same or different this season once Minkah was brought in? Reason I'm asking is if he played one way and then changed it can cause a regression. This in no way absolves him of bad plays and choices but could frame why he was making those.

I mean if you go back at look at Mitchell and when he played with Troy, he had issues because Troy was allowed to freeLance and he didn't know what to do. Then he really got exposed when he was paired with Davis and wasn't directing him to where he needed to be. This seems like an issue.

21. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Don't you actually have to be good at some point to regress?

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By your logic, the Steelers should re-sign Artie Burns because nobody's perfect. Duck Hodges should get another chance to start because nobody's perfect. Maybe they should bring back Jarvis Jones and Limas Sweed while they are at it.

Defending a player by saying nobody is perfect is meaningless at best. It is a waste of keystrokes that justifies nothing.

Size and speed aren't the only ways to measure ability. Intelligence is part of it. Being able to pick up a ball in flight and react to it properly is part of it. That last one is an ability Edmunds lacks, which is a huge thing for a safety. He also takes terrible angles in run defense and in coverage. Physical tools are meaningless if an athlete has no clue how to use them. The Steelers got it wrong, just as you got it wrong when you claimed the criticism of Edmunds is hindsight. Next time, at least have the integrity to admit when you get something wrong like that rather than doubling down on the snide. Thank you.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought he was a slightly below average starter early in the season, but he got even worse in the final few games. I think part of that was teams figuring out that he was by far the weakest link and taking advantage.

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Why not at least give it a shot right? Right now he doesn’t look like the answer at Safety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Time will tell if the Steelers got it wrong.