1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

EDGE Rusher vs. Inside Backer?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Edge Rusher

25 vote(s)
    96.2%
  2. Inside Linebacker

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Which one do you think we need come April? Keep in mind that Lawrence Timmons, Jarvis Jones and James Harrison are likely gone by the end of the season.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Edge rushers big time. Problem is we haven't struck gold yet. Besides that we need D line depth and I think we will be ok

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Pass rush is the most important aspect of a defence. Even a mediocre LB can sit in the middle and rack up tackles. A mediocre LB'er will never get to the QB. We need pressure. If we don't have the horses outside or inside, then move to a 4-3

• Like Like x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yep this

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The inside guys are at least solid behind Timmons/Shazier. I'd say another edge rusher, but maybe not the traditional OLB role. The defense seems to be transitioning to getting pressure and sacks from the DL. So maybe go after another Hargraves/Tuitt type player and get a decent rotation going.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    BPA on defense. We aren't heavily stocked at any position per se. If there is an outstanding talent available anywhere on defense, grab the talent. Don't pigeon hole.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I was going to add cornerback due to the ludicrous amount of depth in the upcoming class... but only a few would end up working out. Most prominent would be Sidney Jones IV.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Is this even a serious question? Edge rusher and it's not even close, they can get by with Shazier, Vince Williams at ILB. They need a OLB and DL who can rush the passer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Agreed, definitely edge rusher over ILB. If Timmons is gone I'm comfortable with Vince or even Dirty Red running with Shazier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    As much as I hate seeing Timmons get abused in pass coverage, I truly think we need OLB first. I think next year we may see more of the old 3 man Dline staying around. Hargrave has proved he can get to the QB. Why not have Tuitt, Hargrave, and Heyward on the field together more even in passing situations. Add in Dupree and a new OLB, one of which rushes and the other drops in coverage (you can change it up however you want). This allows us to be better against the run and get to the passer.

I see Timmons being the guy next year coming off the field to go nickle. One of the Dlineman come off if we want to go dime.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Edge Rusher with pass rushing moves. Not singular move but moves. Von miller
    type will do just fine maybe larger.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think OLB, since you have Vince Williams who I think can be a starter if need be.

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Timmons will be gone after this season. No talk about contract. He will be a FA. Been a staple, a great player.
    Jarvis Jones, bye bye don't let the door hit ya...
    James Harrison. Man one of my favs but it's time. Hopefully they bring him in as a coach. A strength coach.

We still haven't seen the best of Dupree, he is still a work in progress. I'm liking the way Chickillo plays. High motor, always around the ball. He has seen extended playing time. I have said these two will be the starting OLB's next season but this may happen sooner.

Yes they will have to upgrade the OLB position in the draft.

I like what Mac said, Safety. A ball hawk FS that can cover. Look I appreciate the hits that Mitchell delivers but face it folks, he is slow and not a quality cover safety. That's just my opinion. A one trick pony so to speak. 2nd or 3rd round.

Another good pass rushing DE for the rotation in the 2nd or 3rd round.

This season might be the time to really explore the QB position in the 1st. Ben is getting long in the tooth and their is always the paranoia of him getting injured. And when he does it's doomsday. But i'm sure their are some that think that Laundry Jones can man it until they figure it out :lolol: This is my pick for the 1st...

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I say neither ...My first look would be at a real #1 CB..Next on the list would be a true FS....After that I would be looking for a good DL ...Next up would probably be a QB ...Basically LB whether it be inside or outside should be way down the list...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Timmons wont be gone he already has said he will take a pay cut to stay here, and he had a good game on turkey day and has been playing well, I see him staying here on the cheap side of big money.....

17. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    We need a Khalil Mack :icon cool:

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dude they just drafted a CB in the first round this year, the Steelers aren't a team that depends on a Revis type CB. A good edge rusher will make your average CBs look a whole lot better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No they want, because Teams are throwing a lot of 2.5 second routes...You have to be able to stop those first before any rush can work...To add to that most Teams that are very good with pressure have the ability to play 1 on 1 more to allow them to send pressure and different types of blitz looks ...

So while we did get 1 CB that can play we still need another 1 just as good as him ,plus a true FS and then you will see constant pressure and a solid Defense ...

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I cast my vote for edge, but as is usually the case for me, I think a few positions are in play depending on quality at the position when we pick (I.e. I don't like reaching and passing on a top talent just to fill a need).

I see edge, DL and LB clearly in play. Maybe S, or even RB (Cook) if we do not retain Bell. Not CB though. We have young, maturing players at the position, and I don't think it makes any sense to go there when we can't even get close to the QB with a 4 man rush.

Edge makes the most sense to me if the right guy is there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt they will use a high draft pick on a CB next year, they could use a playmaker at safety like Landon Collins of the Giants.

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep you are probably correct, but I think DB should be the pick again early...

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    In a vacuum, meaning no other positions are in play besides edge and ILB, then I would say edge for sure.

Working against ILB as being the pick is the depth. VW98 and a year 2 Matakevich are capable spot starters to cover for injuries. Shazier has not shown he can stay in the lineup consistently but that does not overcome the lack of fire power on the edge. And I believe Timmons will be signed on a 1 year deal at a team friendly price. The Steelers have shown they hold on to their long time vets, whether you like it or not. They will not leave a hole at ILB until they can find that replacement in the upcoming draft and Timmons will be that insurance policy. And be realistic, no team is going to offer an aging ILB like Timmons any substantial FA dollars enough to draw him away from Pittsburgh.

On the edge we have Dupree as a starter and that's it. I believe they let JJ95 walk as they should, he's weak. I like how Chickillo is developing but I don't believe he is a full time starter. He works best as a rotational piece and that's fine, not a slight. Moats is depth and Feeney is a question mark.

Is the edge guy an OLB or DE? Until the team announces they are changing, you have to assume its an OLB.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if they re-sign gilbert and use him finally and shabazz makes some strides, we may be in decent shape at corner. shabazz is big and showed pretty well in preseason last year. golson is the question mark again. burns, cockrell, gilbert, shabazz, golson ?, gay ?, we could be ok there. safety we need at least one. edge with chick and dupree we need one minimum. feeney and kevin anderson from stanford are in the wings. i still like our ILB'ers if we re-sign fort and timmons. johnson should be back too.

i wouldn't rule any position on defense out. i want speed and size. with hargraves new found talent when he is not at the nose, i believe we just solved our depth problem. by next year in the system he and mathews should become even better. walton will be in year 3 also. saying that, a good big quick DT may be in the mix too. big dan is hit and miss play to play. not in the first though. we are still young on defense and many guys should improve by next season. we are not that far off. shamarko, dangerfield, golden, mitchell, this to me seems like the spot to upgrade. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Boy, the results are overwhelming in this poll. By the way not surprising.