1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ed Bouchette

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Big30

Big30 Member

Jan 8, 2019
    They only time you abandon the run game is when u getting ur ass kicked and how many games did that happen this year Ben threw the ball way to many times this year 3 and 2 five wide stupid ****

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Just another one of Tomlin's odd decisions that never makes any sense.

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think this is the way we’re heading.

We didn’t renew the contract of a coach that’s mainly coached the traditional bellcow RB (AP, Bell). We hired a replacement that may be much more adept at modern offensive concepts based on his coaching history.

I think we’re seeing a shift in our offense. Spread the ball around a lot to many different options. No more reliance on one or two superstars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I think it's a gray area..... you want your best players on the field.... RB's typically need reps and time to get into their rhythm.... so I don't think you can necessarily have a HOT runner stay effective if you keep pulling him. And honestly, offense is only on the field for about 30 minutes of playing time (which is probably only 20 minutes of intense playing time).... every athlete on the field should be able to manage that amount of physical stress spread out over 3 hours.

5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Tomlin only believes in using backup running backs on crucial plays when they can fumble.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You just had to go there. We were trying to forget. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    If memory serves me, even Bell wasn't built like Bell to take the pounding like he did.:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    yep, not one of Tomlin strong suites in handling running backs. :hehehe:

9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I don`t think Conner was run into the ground. I think he is just not too durable. An argument could be made in prior years we used Bell too much and increased his chances of getting hurt. Ed could complain we didn`t have a better backup when Bell was starting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    You walked right into that trap

11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Why because he got injured? A lot of players get injured at RB. Conner did with less carries. Just happens more at that position. Bell's numbers show he did handle the load. How many more years of that though? Probably not many

12. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Fichtner and Ben call the plays :shrug:

14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
  15. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  16. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I mentioned this in an earlier post but it fits here. Samuels was hardly used at all until Conner got hurt and Samuels first game was a near complete right off. In Samuels second game once he was used to the speed of the game I think he went off for 128 yds.

If he had had a few more carries he might have been better prepared when he was needed. Not saying they should have platooned them but at least have him ready when needed. Just poor coaching not to have the backup guy prepared.

Next man up is crap if the next man up has only had 12 carries all year then he has to be the feature back suddenly.

17. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Wait, I thought most of us (including the media) were complaining all season about the abandonment of the running game? I'm also not sure I buy into the "running back by committee" stance either. Maybe a lot of teams are doing it now, but that didn't used to be the way. The all-time greats were not running in committees and somehow they managed to get through the seasons okay. I'll probably get a lot of hate for saying this, but I think the modern player is not as tough anymore. The slightest little twinge and they are out of the game. That's likely because they are all thinking with their wallets and not their hearts. I'm all for having a backup RB come in and spell the starter for a time, but the starter should be getting the vast majority of the workload.

Also, I do think Conner can be the guy based on what I saw this year and I think Samuels can be a decent backup. We'll see. I'm amazed there are still people who believe that Bell was this unique talent. He was a good player, better than most, but not nearly the generational player he and a lot of the fans think he is. I guess we'll know the answer to that when he gets to his next team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Players are both bigger and faster now. The forces they endure are multiplied. That’s a significant reason for the injuries.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Can't say I disagree. Will be real interesting to see how long it takes for Bell to resume his form, speed and endurance, assuming he even does, wherever he lands next season. Brown will probably do as well as Sanders and probably better than Wallace, Holmes and Nate Washington. Very likely better than Bryant.

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I was thinking the same thing GB, maybe the approach taken by Saxon caused his downfall. Saxon isn't calling the plays but the OC can't put in a backup if he's not prepared fully.