1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ebron

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelerGlenn, Feb 22, 2014.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I hope that whoever we take in the first round is good enough to be #1 on the depth chart at his position. Idc if its a DE, TE, WR, CB, LB, FS... Whatever. If we can manage 2 starting quality guys right away out of this draft, it will go a long way to getting us back into the picture for the AFC North title.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Again, if he's not ready, hes not playing, dont care who it is or when they were drafted.

And don't know why everyone is writing off Moye and Brown so much, I doubt Ben is working out with them because they are going to be cut. Pretty safe bet, that they are in the Steelers plans. And even if you don't buy that, forget about them, you still have a 3rd round pick in Wheaton who will be ahead of anyone they draft. With AB, Cotch and Wheaton, just how much field time do you think a rookie is going to see? Assuming they bring back Cotch.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I get that if he's not ready he's not playing, that's obvious. The other stuff is JMO.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Moye isn't a practice squad scrub. He was on the 53 man roster all last season.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Absofrickinlutely. That's why aside from possibly OT, defense makes the most sense in the first round this year for me. Considering the Steelers depth chart, multiple positions on D could be the #1 with the #15 pick.

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    And before anyone goes crazy, I'm not saying the Steelers need to use the #15 on LT...

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think its obvious to everyone, not sure why people think a rookie is going to jump to the NFL and know exactly what to do over guys who have already been here a year. Takes time to learn these things.

8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    If we draft one of the 6'5' guys in Benjamin or Evans, I'd assume they would be getting red zone snaps at the very least. Idt either is ready to contribute as the "Y" receiver as a rookie anyways. Matthews and Moncrief are interesting prospects because they are well rounded, and both very NFL ready receivers.

They way I see it AB and Wheaton are the only "locks" to start at WR next year. The Steelers are too high on Markus to not start him next year. Whether you agree or not, that's probably what is going to happen lol Cotch would provide veteran insurance if re-signed, so he would be the early leader for the final starting WR spot. Moye and J. Brown are wild cards since we don't truly know the Steelers' comfort level with these guys as potential game day actives in 2014.

My ideal scenario would be to sign Cotch to a 1 or 2 year (friendly $) deal. Draft someone like Moncrief or Matthews, who in my mind could very well be "Y" receiver capable as a rookie at some point during the season. And then find a way to keep both Moye and J. Brown around. We would then be able to cut Cotch after the season with no dead money, and start (x) AB (y) Matthews (z) Wheaton in 2015 with Moye and J. Brown being situational receivers (red zone targets maybe) and solid depth. We would be young and talented at the position.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    True, but mostly inactive. I just don't see some one with first round talent sitting behind Moye or J Brown unless the guy turns out to be a total bust.

10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Like.... Corner? lol what we've got is Allen, Gay, and nothing else. The first CB we take in this years draft will be at the very least the starting nickel back going into 2014 without even taking a snap at OTA's (unless of course we go the FA route at CB). FS is another position a 1st round pick (like Dix or Pryor) could start. ILB? Mosely, Shazier, whoever. Any of those players could be starters in 2014. Even OLB if we cant manage to get Worilds signed and Woodley goes and pulls a hammy at the grocery store this summer. I think it is very possible that 2 or 3 rookies find themselves in starting roles at some point this season... and I like it :smiley1:

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    First round WR's play plenty in their rookie year. I'm not suggesting he would start over Wheaton or Brown or even Cothery, but he will play over Moye and J. Brown. No way you put a first rounder on the inactive list in favor of those two unless the Steelers totally missed on the guy or he's hurt. I think it's fair to assume that a WR with first round talent is going to be ready to play especially a guy like Evans.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He would get some playing time but people are under the impression that Evans will come in and be a 1,000 yard receiver. He'll be lucky to get 200 yards. Wheaton only got about 65 yards, I know some of that was due to his pinky injury but even before that, the guy looked lost out there.

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    your right but talent can make up for a lot of brain farts. most 1st round guys are good enough to play right away. I honestly believe whoever we draft first if its defense starts day one.

14. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    No way a first rounder is going to the PS (or get cut), so by rule if we have AB, Wheaton, Cotch, Moye J. Brown, and a 1st round pick... the first round WR is going to be in front of somebody (assuming we keep 5 WR's instead of 6). WR is a good position to get rooks on the field early since they don't have to be the best WR, just one of the best 3 on the team to get significant snaps (even 4th round WR's get a decent amount of snaps in today's NFL).

With that said, there are too many positions on D where the #15 overall pick will inevitably be the BEST at his position on our team... so I kinda hope we go that direction. We would get more production out of a starting CB or FS than we would out of a 3rd or 4th WR. If we draft Evans or Benjamin they better turn out to be a STUD, and quick.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he did miss all of mini camp because of the graduation rules. every guy that has done that has seemed lost the first year.:cool:

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No doubt. With a year under his belt, I'm expecting a lot more out of him this season.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I agree, I don't see him having that kind of impact.
    Didn't see it brought up in this thread, but we still could resign Burress too. If we take a WR in the first round and resign Cotchery and Burress, don't resign Sanders where would that leave Moye and J. Brown?

18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    This scenario leaves Moye and J. Brown off the 53 man roster as final cuts. I don't see any upside in re-signing Burress over either of these guys though. Yes, they are un-proven... but they are much younger, and worth a shot at developing instead of a one year rental of Plaxico.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I believe one of the two is signed, My money is on Cotchery although there has to be some reason Burress was hanging out on the sideline every week.

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I think the odds of Plax returning are pretty slim, but if he did, than I guess that would leave those much cheaper and younger receivers in the position to compete in camp.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Always been a Plax fan but I hope that doesn't happen. If Moye can't give us what Burress can at this point of his career, then cut him. I don't believe that to be the case though, I think will surprise some of you. There's a reason he was kept off the practice squad.

22. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    True, but he probably only made the team because Plax got hurt. He had a good pre-season but he still has a long way to go.

23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I just don't agree with this assessment. First off, Wheaton is on the small side. Plus he was trying to fill a position which was occupied by Emmanuel Sanders. Not to mention he got hurt early.

Look what Keenan allen did this year - 1000+ yards and 8 TDs. All you have to do is give a guy with talent a proper chance. I agree that in the past, very few rookie WRs made an impact. That's when we have been more of a running league. We are now in a passing league. Remember Marques Colston as a rookie on a passing team? 1000+ yards and 8 TDs.

If we selected Evans (which I do think is a long shot for multiple reasons), I think as a rookie he would have no problem finding 750 yards and 6 TDs.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    where does Brandon cooks fit in? the kid is a talent for sure. plus he's got that speed factor and is strong. he is also one of those well rounded receivers but not one of those tall trees that everyone thinks we all need and will take. couldn't we be just as dangerous with cooks, wheaton in the slot and AB? that's a lot of speed and talent for any team to have to cover which free's up guys like bell and heath to be covered with LB'ers which is a mismatch. we could then bring in a guy like moye and a guy like brown in red zone situations with the height along with spaeth,heath as the tree package.:cool:

25. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would love cooks but this board would explode if we took him.lol I think the height thing is a little overrated but I am in the minority. I mean for every fade pass to the endzone that works I see 20 that don't. I think he would be great with brown and wheaton and ur right I think we immediately have the faster wr corps in the nfl