1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ebron

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelerGlenn, Feb 22, 2014.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Good point... Maybe there's room in the Ebron camp for one more? lol I pretty much agree with your assessment on our top 3 needs. Although I do think FS could be thrown in there (equal to ILB in my opinion), seeing how we don't currently have a FS on the roster outside of Golden. Top 4 needs are definitely CB, WR, ILB, and FS for sure though.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    My sense of humor really doesn't come across well in text, for that I'm sorry. It was meant in a fun way.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    He didn't call any one out. You brought up donations, Glenn. Enough already.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    OK.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats rich, coming from you about calling people out.

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm with you, TTF. If AB were 6'3" instead of 5'10" would there be any question that he's a true number one?

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not all 6-3 guys are #1's either. steve smith has proven he could be for years. his problem is injuries. when on AB and smith are as deadly a #1 as anyone. I dare them to leave AB single covered all game.:cool:

8. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Nope because then he'd have that one piece of the equation that he's missing IMO.. size.

Size matters..:smiley1:

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Wait. I thought it was how you used your size, and not the actual size that mattered? lol I hope so at least, since I'm not very big... 5'10'' just like AB haha

In all seriousness, I find it pretty impressive that he out performed (numbers wise) all those bigger #1 receivers despite not being "prototypical" size for the X receiver. Numbah, we can disagree on whether he is a true #1, but I'm sure we could both agree that we're glad he's on our team haha

10. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :applaud: Absolutely!!

11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Regarding Markus Wheaton, I just meant he won't match Sanders production from last year, in terms of this year and maybe the year after. Sanders had 740 yards and 6 TDs last year. I think Wheaton will be a while before he matches that production. I want our offense to be better than last year. Will AB match his numbers from last year? I think that would be tough to do, but let's hope. So I am just trying to find where our production will come from in 2014.

I think after his combine there's a great chance that Evans will be gone by #15. Even if he gets close to us, I still wouldn't be surprised if either Baltimore or the NY Jets traded ahead of us in order to secure him. There's a much greater chance Ebron is available IMO.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    How can anyone think AB isn't a true #1 after last year kinda boggles my mind. So the guy that holds most of the steelers single season receiving records isn't a true #1? Well what the hell does that say about the rest of our wide outs.

13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Statistically, AB put #1 numbers. There's no denying him there. Let's see how he looks this upcoming season. Hopefully he can or will come close to duplicating 2013 numbers. His greatest ability is to create separation and put up great YAC numbers.

Is he a DOMINANT receiver? Not yet and I'm just not sure he ever gets to that level. Someone on 3rd and 4 and YOU KNOW the ball is going to go his way and he still comes up with the catch. He's going to see alot more double coverage in 2014 I expect. Let's see how he does.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    let's not forget AB the year before last was the first guy in the NFL with 1,000 receiving yards and 1,000 return yards in one season. two years in a row he's proving he's worthy but ebron or evens will walk into the nfl and become the can't miss, last piece of the puzzle that will take over all our offensive woes? c'mon man!!:cool:

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What separates the great ones from the good ones is work ethic. If some of these big guys come in and work as hard as AB does we might have something. If all they're going to rely on is there size ,no thanks. Give me a 6ft guy who does nothing but work on his craft any day of the week...

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, mostly. I think we could get around 500 yards from Ebron in his first year similar to what Eifert did for the Benglas last year but I don't understand why any WR we draft is going see the field much with Wheaton, Moye and J Brown all sitting in front of them and all with year under their belt. Especially Wheaton, whom I am expecting a lot more from, with Sanders most likely being gone.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he didn't hit that mark being the main man in college. that would be a tall task with AB,bell,heath,wheaton and cotch. if anything I think he would be first down targets and red zone targets. you know how ben is if a guy drops those too. he seems to not look for him much after that. he makes some great catches, but his drops worry me. those are drive killers. :cool:

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't follow, he put up 973 yards this season? And that's without Ben as his QB. With the other weapons we have, I wouldn't expect that from him and also it being his first year, I suspect the numbers would be lower.

As for his drops, numbahs said that anything that touches his hands is considered a drop if he doesn't haul it in, I don't think thats exactly a fair evaluation given this guys catch radius. He gets his mitts on a lot balls that others might not come close to.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If the Steelers draft a WR at #15 he will play more than Moye and Brown, because he's more talented. Moye and Brown aren't even locks to make the team just because they were on the team last season doesn't mean anything.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Anyone we draft still have to make the transition to the pros, big difference from college, have to learn the playbook too. Wallace in his first season had around 700 yards I think, no WR we draft would come close to those numbers because they can't come close to his speed.

21. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    If we drafted a WR at #15, I can assure you, he would not be sitting behind Wheaton, Moye & J Brown. Maybe on the 1st day of training camp I guess, but it wouldn't be for long.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If he's not ready, he's not going to play, really that simple. If Wheaton, Moye and Brown can go out and do better because they know more, they will, they aren't going to sacrifice wins and losses just to get a 1st rounder on the field.

I know Bell wasn't a first round pick, but MT flat out said, if he can't do his job blocking, hes not playing.

If we take a WR in the 1st round, he'll only see the field if he knows what he is doing.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Agreed.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    WR and RB are two of the easiest positions to learn and get on the field, so if they got Evans at #15 I have no doubt he can get on the field and be productive.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We're not taking a WR in the first round and putting him behind Moye and J. Brown on the Depth chart. Guaranteed! There's a good chance Moye doesn't even make the team.
    I agree that if he's not ready he's not going to play, but I'd say the odds are in favor of a first round pick over practice squad scrubs.