1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ebron

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelerGlenn, Feb 22, 2014.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm going on record that there's no way we take Ebron in the first round. We are good at TE for the next couple years!
    We'll take one of the three positions in the first round CB, S or WR.
    Also can't see much of a chance that we take an OL in the first three rounds.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think the 3 positions you picked are the right ones for the first 3 rounds. I wouldn't mind picking Ebron, but I'm with you. I think the Steelers will go a different direction.

3. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He ran a 4.5 today. I'd be OK if we took him but I'd rather have several other players.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I agree not interested in a TE in the first round, Heath still has probably 3 good years left. Draft a CB or WR in the first round TE isn't a major need right now.

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Steelers don't draft for need, right...? I don't know how anyone can flat out say we won't pick him. I don't personally think we likely will, but it's hard to say. This discussion has gone on a lot here, but I'll say that a) we're not good at TE for the next couple years b) WR isn't really a position of "need" either, just a perceived need c) if Ebron is the BPA at 15 then the Steelers will take him d) having Heath has little to do with drafting a TE. You can have more than one on the field at one time e) I could probably go on...

It's definitely easier to guess who they won't pick than who they will though.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I disagree WR is a position of need the only proven one is AB and if he got injured they would be screwed, Wheaton has potential but he needs to show it on the field. You need at least three good WR's on your team IMO.

7. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with everything said here, almost. I do think we need to get a WR though, either through free agency or the draft. I would agree it's not a "need" early in the draft. There's some good ones later on IMO..

8. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, I should have clarified that, but you know how I feel about the WR depth in this draft. They drafted two WR's last year, and will likely either re-sign one of their own FA's or bring another in. Colbert just spoke on the expectations for Wheaton this year.

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't draft a WR this year, but mainly because of depth in the class, and well, history is on your side for predicting a WR in the draft.

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'll pick you apart a little here ;)

A) I can remember the outcry when we spent a 3rd round pick on Matt Spaeth in 2007, after investing a 1st round pick on Heath in 2005. I liked the pick at the time as I said it would free up Heath to run more routes and be more productive. As we have seen since 2007, TEs are indeed becoming more important and having 2 or 3 good ones is becoming more in vogue. As we currently sit with Miller & Spaeth, we ARE pretty good. However, we have nothing beyond that. Do we need another TE? Absolutely? Is it critically a high priority? I say no.

B) We have AB as our best receiver. Is he a TRUE #1? I'm with numbah is saying no. That being said, he is very good a nd could put #1 type statistics. Who else do we have right now? Wheaton & Moye. I thinks its naive to think these two can come in and produce at a high level. Sanders is gone and will be replaced by Wheaton at a lower production level. So currently who is the #2? Maybe Cotchery if we re-sign him? Well, I don't like that scenario. I'd rather him be a #4 type. This is why I like Evans (or even potentially Jordan Matthews). Someone to come in and put up #2 type numbers while possibly pushing for t hat #1 role down the line. This is why I think WR is a bigger need than TE.

C) IF Ebron is the Steelers BPA at #15, there's certainly a chance they would draft him. I guess it all depends who else is in the neighbourhood. For me personally, if I take a step back I think I could rank our highest priorities as: CB, S, ILB, WR, NT, OLB, OT, TE. We are thin at CB and could be even thinner if we part ways with Ike. We currently don't have a starting FS. Larry Foote & Vince Williams will fight to be our #2 ILB. Do we like that? As I stated, Cotchery is not signed yet, and even so, are you comfortable with him as the #2? Steve Mclendon could be upgraded at NT. Either Worilds or Woodley will be gone. We are thin at OLB depth. I think these are all bigger issues than bringing in a 3rd TE.

D) As I outlined in A, yes just because we have Heath doesn't mean we won't bring in another TE. A good TE is just another weapon. But if you take a TE @ #15, he is expected to be productive, immediately. If we were to draft a TE in Round 1, then I think that would signal a shift to many 2 & 3 TE sets. So now, you only need 1-2 WRs on the field. Is Haley and our offensive philosophy ready to go down this road?

E) That's what we are here for! :thumbs_up:

Despite both WR and TE are a little lower on my priority list, I do think we should pick up one of each in this draft.

To me, Mike Evans vs Eric Ebron is kind of the referendum we are having on this board as far as grabbing a weapon in Round 1 is concerned. Both are big, and both run 4.6 (jumping ahead a little but that's where I think Evans is too). Both can offer "some blocking" but in all reality, they are there to catch the ball. Who can do this best? To me, its Evans.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Too much truth and logic in this post.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Miller and Spaeth are good for the next two years. WR not so much. I don't see the Steelers taking a big reach just to get a player at a position of need, but with as deep as this draft is the won't have to reach.
    It's been widely talked about on Pittsburgh radio that the Steelers are in a position that the will lean more towards drafting players at positions of need early in this years draft rather than taking one at a position they feel they are deeper at.
    As for as saying there is no way they will take Ebron, that's JMO as is most of the stuff posted here.
    I'll take it a step further and make a wager with you. If they draft Ebron in the first round I'll donate $50 to the message board and if theydon't You start a thread admitting I'm better than you when it comes to predicting what the Steelers will do?

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyones finances are different, but should be doing that anyway. And I think you'd need to give him some kind of odds since it's really not a big leap in predicting they wont draft him.

They won't draft for need either, only if the players are of equal value, Colbert has already said thats how you screw up a team.

13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    That was picking me apart? That was painless. :-D

A) I agree with you in that it's not a critical need. Not by any means. The Steelers don't draft for need though. :)
    Also, I thought you were down on Spaeth?

B) We're just going to have to agree to disagree on AB. He's the X receiver. He gets paid like one and he performs like one. I guess it comes down to how one defines what a true #1 receiver is. (I will say that I was in that camp before last season).

Why do you say Wheaton will produce at lower level than Sanders? I can understand the pessimism regarding Moye. That's completely logical and I share in that. If you look at Wheaton's college performance, I think we have more reason to believe he'll be a factor this year than not. I imagine many people had a similar view on AB going into 2011.

C) I agree in part with your priorities, but it's really difficult this year due to the amount of free agents. I imagine we'll all be having different points of view 5 weeks from now, than we do today. Depth is an issue in many areas, but the secondary is definitely the biggest area in need of serious improvement.

D) Yes, I could definitely see that.

I'd be alright if the team took either of them, but I've said before that I don't think either will be the pick. I'm not one of the Ebroniacs here. The odds are that both of them will be gone by 15, IMO.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not that it's any of your business , but I have donated before(twice) The wager was for fun with TTF not you.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they have so'oto and wasterman and carter as OLB depth for camp. each with some experience. so'oto 3 years and wasterman 5 years.

garvin will also be in the mix at ILB.

I wouldn't rule out them bringing DJ back either at TE. even if they draft one. they may carry 4 again. we will draft a wr somewhere in this draft. it may or may not be a big guy, but one capable of playing that #2 spot. whether he starts over wheaton will be determined.

moye is a mismatch though and I fully expect him to get a shot. cotch is important but won't be the #2 if he's back. just not his role here. he's our slot guy and can beat the 3rd corners or safeties that will cover him there.

that gives us a 6-4, 6-3 and 6-1 receiver if we don't pick another. a 6-7,6-5 and 6-2 TE's and a 6-2 FB. oh and a 6-1 RB. most of our guys are already mismatches.

maybe they do go for a Benjamin, or coleman, or Hoffman anyone's guess.

will ebron or evans or benjamin be better for us than a corner at the top? that's the question.:cool:

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Touchy. Not much of a bet then is it? Anyway, It was more of a general statement, people should donate but TTF isn't comfortable with this being discussed so I'll drop it.

Also, might want to clarify when you post things like that, that was a "fun" wager because it didn't seem like it and came across pretty offensive.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Spaeth can't be viewed as a weapon. He's an average #2. Spaeth's contract was designed to make him very cut-able, and he is from a cap standpoint.

No one on Pittsburgh radio knows what the Steelers will do.

Like I said, I don't know how anyone can say there's "no way we take" a top player who fits. I know it was your opinion obviously, I just think it's a poor one.

As to your wager- umm, no. Why would I do that? All I can say is that you have some serious issues...if you feel like you need for that to happen.

Like I said, it's a heck of a lot easier to try to predict who they won't pick than who they will from an odds standpoint.

I've actually been pretty low on taking a TE early in this draft. I've said many times that I think they'll take a WR in round 2, because the drop off is so low, maybe even later.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, I didn't interpret it as "fun" either.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I bet if you asked Big Ben what he prefers a big WR or another TE at #15 he will go with the big WR. To me it's a no brainer if Evans and Ebron are there at #15 you take Evans, give me the player who scored 12 tds last season over the player with 3 tds.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Colbert keeps speaking of maturity of this class of underclassmen. how do evans and ebron stack up in that department? I'm sure it's going to figure in to their decision.:cool:

21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I couldn't say, though I know he's not part of the scouting dept. ;-) Wheaton had 13 TDs his last season in college...
    Yeah, he raised a great point regarding all the underclassmen this year. Evans is a sophomore. I know this one senior who will most likely be available in round 2... :lolol:

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe, we'll see how he does in front of the scouts. big ball grabbers, and I'm not talking about sam.:facepalm::cool:

23. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    To me...top3 needs in no particular order LB, CB, and WR

That being said..the last two times the Steelers took a TE in the first round....they went to the Super Bowl that year. (Bruener in 95, Miller in 05)

HACK

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :roflmao:

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Again none of your business and not your place to call people out for donations. So yes I do get touchy.