1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ebron and the draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Apr 6, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ok, we have a te that can be used as a wr now. He doesn't really bring a lot in the blocking game. What if he gets hurt, which really isn't a stretch for him? Do they draft one of these clone type tes in this draft to replace him or have to change what we would have done it he was on the field?

There are several that fit the " more wr then true TE mold". Could this be a target over a true wr or blocking te? Could claypool fit that need plus. Could Gibson from Memphis fit that need with his rb also ability? Harrison Bryant is another guy in that mold. Even moss. Could this be a smart way to fill two positions and keep the offense intact?

If we go into camp and the start of the season with the design of using ebron as a major part of the offense, shouldn't we have a backup plan with his injury history? Could Samuels or Watt fill that role? :cool:

2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    On a related note, what are the vegas odds on Scotland-Williamson becoming anything? Or Rader for that matter? Thought he he was a really good blocker.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Slim to none

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Draft Claypool he's almost as big as a TE

5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    And he runs a 4.47 at 238lbs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    are we going to use 10 tight ends?:cool:

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Should be a decent battle for that 3rd string active TE position between Gentry and Raider. Who is better at Special Teams?

I expect to see Watt receiving more of the H-Back/TE plays than Nix ever did.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't think we have enough draft picks to spend one on a TE, at least not this year.

To me, we need 2 OL, one center/guard capable and one tackle.

We need a NT capable guy.

We need a FS to backup Minkah.

We need an OLB to potentially replace Dupree next year. This is less of a need should they get a long term ext. worked out, but we will still need some depth.

We need a WR to add to the mix. Someone who can play on the outside not in the slot.

We need an ILB thumper to backup Williams. Not a S/ILB tweener. A true run stopper to play in William role.

That is 7 picks. We only have 6. I think we look to the late cut vet pool for whatever position we are unable to meet, but to me the game is won at the line of scrimmage. Time to start reloading the cupboard for the Oline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

it's not like they haven't been reloading the cupboard. Chuks was a 3rd, grey was a 7th, they had Hawkins which was a 4th but traded him. I'm not sure we look for a tackle this year. Unless they think he can play guard ala ramon. They were high on chuks and grey. Another year older for these two. Feiler, banner can play guard or tackle. Remember, they had 3 of 5 starters that were udfas. We do have that 3rd center we can keep on the ps for an emergency. The kid from bama. I know everybody wants a shinny new toy but the steelers haven't worked that way for years.

That said, I like who they are looking at. I don't mind who we have right now. Do an unprecedented pick of 3 this year and we could have a rebuilt line for the future. Cushenberry, simpson, mckevitz would replace all 3 interior spots in year three. Chuks taking over AVs spot next year and grey over Feiler next year. Then we add depth once the books are a little clearer. Won't happen but could. Signing bud would make it much easier. It could totally change the draft for us. :cool:

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Our OC doesn't even know how to use 2 let alone 10.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ben does, and when Ben is on the field he's more the OC than Fichtner is IMO. In 2018 with Ben, McDonald and James combined for 111 targets, 80 receptions, 1,033 yards and 6 TDs. Not elite numbers, but not bad, especially considering that James isn't all that much of a receiver compared to Ebron [I'd also note that in the Steelers' last playoff game, Vance had 16 targets, 10 receptions and 112 yards - in 1 game]. As long as Ben is out there, I think we can run some productive 2 TE sets.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Canada can throw some wrinkles in as well and make it easier and quicker to read the defense without taking the play clock to zero.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Canada is a very good Offensive mind and QB coach very demanding also.
    Ben could learn a lot from Canada if he wanted too.