1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

early top 5

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Dec 7, 2014.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    1. danny Shelton DT Washington- replacing Thomas and possibly mclendon.

2. Cameron erving OT Fla.St.- can play center also, but he's the money spot replacement kicking beachum inside to LG.

3. Anthony harris S Virginia- love this kid and can play either safety spot. he's always around the ball, can man up and makes plays.

4. kevin white CB TCU- good solid corner

5. tony lippett WR Mich. St.- great size, uses his body and could be that #2 starter we are missing, allowing Bryant and wheaton to come in and create havoc in 3-4 wide sets. this would give us a nice rotation of big, fast and small and fast all over the field. tough matchups for defenses.

:cool:

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Trade up, trade down, stay where you are, I don't care. But draft a top CB. Enough is enough.

Even if Cortez gets it together and plays well next year, that still won't be enough. We need talent at CB.

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    There are some good corners to pick from at the top this year. Peters, Williams, Darby, Ekpre-Olomu, And Waynes among others. I really like Jeff Heuerman from Ohio State somewhere in the draft to solidify our TE position. He's been described my Urban Meyer as the best blocking TE he has ever seen, and he is also a pretty good target in the receiving game (as well as on the RZ). The positions I see is taking are CB, TE, S, RB, and OT. The rest of the picks can go wherever.

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't see a ton of talent at cb at the top. size and speed is an issue. E-O is short, we have that. darby is a possibility. guys like Shelton are much harder to come by.

safety has shown to be a position of need back there, as well as corner so far. harris is a good one. could possibly switch spots with erving, but I doubt it.

it sure isn't loaded at corner like last year, but the sure things last year haven't done a lot in the league either. only the guy I pimped all year at Chicago.

I'd much rather get a FA CB to step in quicker, then see how much better McCain, blake, webb and Richardson could get with their experience in this system.

white could be a good one had around the 4th rd. he can cover, but I'm not sure a draft pick corner this year would start.:cool:

5. USCGSteeler

USCGSteeler Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    In no particular order, we need a tackle, a corner, and a safety in the first 3 rounds next year. I would love to have the TE out of Florida State, he reminds me of Jason Witten, and Heath is not getting any younger, but we have too many other holes. Hopefully we bring in a decent free agent corner as well.

6. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree with everything except the "In no particular order" part. :thumbs_up:

Right now I have our big needs as:

1. CB
    2. CB/S (we really do need two CBs)
    3. OLB

Not saying I insist we draft that way, but we are so thin at CB and in the secondary in general that double dipping in the first two rounds wouldn't be overkill. Especially not if one of them was a FS. I still like Shamarko and can't figure out why he's behind W. Allen on the depth chart. I still like Worilds, and would be happy to keep him, but not at the pay he'll demand. I expect this to be his last year here, and at that point we'll be as thin at OLB as we are at CB. I've knocked OT off the high priority list. I needed to see more from Beachum this year, and I have. I think he can be the guy.

Some mid-late round picks I'd like:

1. TE
    2. RB (a real one)
    3. OL (You know, a Wesley Johnson type. Son of a...)
    4. DL
    5. DB

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Mac, are you looking at Cam Erving as a 2nd rounder, or is that your top 5 contenders for our 1st round selection? I'm pretty sure Cam Erving is a first rounder, maybe even a top 15-20 pick. He's very solid.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes he is very solid, but there are a ton of tackles rated as 1st rounders right now. his move to center may help drop him to us a little hopefully. it will probably send him up the boards though. I liked him last year too. darft scout right now has him ranked 2-3 rd.. quite low for him, I think.

it's early yet and after watching McCullers sunday, I think he can be of great use at NT, but Shelton is pretty special too in that role. my worry is mclendon not staying healthy. we are better with him, but he just can't stay on the field.

Anthony harris I love at the safety spot.

white may move up also, as well as lippett. all 5 are solid players that could help us.:cool:

9. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd be fine taking a DT early if he's one "that is hard to come by" like Mac says. I'll have to check him out. I strongly believe that if our front 7, or even front 3 become dominant it'll make the guys behind them much more effective.

That said, we do need a smooth and fluid DB, either S or CB, ideally big and physical, so that we have a presence back there. I really like Blake, but he has his limitations. I'll have to check out Harris, too. Collins from Alabama has my attention at the moment. I think he's a safety.

10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I like Fowler (OLB) a lot in the first. In the second maybe Harris (SS), Darby(CB), or Prewitt(FS). Third I'd look at Heuerman (TE), or even Cam Thomas (CB).

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    #1 should be Trae Waynes CB Michigan ST. He is fairly tall and fast and plays physical.
    #2 should be Alex Carter CB Stanford. He fits best in a zone scheme he has some speed and size and is physical.
    #3 should be Cody Riggs S/CB Notre Dame is a little small but has good speed and could cover a lot of ground as a Ball hawk at FS.
    #4 should be Brison Williams SS S..C.. Big strong and physical, exactly what a SS should be.
    #5 should be Frank Clark DE Michigan. Has flashed pass rushing ability may be a hidden gem as a pass rusher.

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Wow! I disagree with this approach in a big way. I'm not going to deny that we need to improve the secondary, but we have way to much uncertainty with our pass rush to just load up on DBs. Our DBs will all be better with consistent pressure up front. I am on board with 2 DBs in the 1st 4 rounds (as long as we don't reach for position), but I think a pass rusher needs to be in the mix for a high pick as well.

13. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    This. Just because we have a bigger hole at DB, doesn't mean we have the luxury of neglecting other positions. One of our top 3 picks will be a CB, the others will likely be a OLB and a Safety. Probably gonna double up at CB at some point in the later rounds but I'd also like to see us draft a RB and a TE as well.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If the Steelers ever did that, Colbert and everyone involved should be fired. Sorry PWP, if you were indeed serious, thats not how you build a successful team.

Agree with you Elvis, 2 DB's.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I am completely serious . We need upgrades at all those spots and we have had almost zero luck in drafting late round DB'S . On the other hand we have found some great DL later in the drafts .

We have a good Offense for at least 3 or 4 more seasons , field a Defense that can stop the big play and we are serious contenders with all Teams for that span .

If we where to draft that way and it worked , which it probably would . Why would anyone get fired ? It would show the ability to recognize the Teams most glaring weaknesses and to try and fix those as fast as possible.

Yeah we could go the DL approach like the Rams did in a 4-3 though mind you and it took like 5 years to put that together by then Ben will be gone or a shell of the player he is now.

I prefer a Seattle approach and get some pass coverage .

16. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    FWIW, Walter Football mocked us this way...
    1. CB - dude from Mich St...Tray Waynes
    2. DE/LB - dude from UCLA (haven't we made this mistake before?)...not even gonna try to spell out his name
    3. S - dude from Stanford...Jordan Reed

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't care if they all do work out, you dont ignore everything else to focus on one area and whos to say every pick would pan out? Then what, you've spent half your draft on DB's. And we are not set on offense, need to address the line, need a RB to back up Bell, although Harris may fill that role, to early to say. They need a TE, Millers days are numbered. On defense, you'll need another LB if Worilds leaves, need a DL too and they need to draft for depth so they're not caught in this situation again which they are in partly due to a couple of poor drafts.

They won't draft 4 DB's in the first 4 rds. I would be in favor of taking 2, that's it.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    carl davis from iowa may be a pretty good DE/NT type player too.

no way do we need to flood the team with corners. we need 1 safety and 1 corner as fairly high to mid round picks, that will be able to get on the field early. maybe not even as starters but contributors early. that's even if we do bring in a FA at either spot. :cool:

19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, while we're talking about the Seattle approach, I'd note for the record that Seattle has spent exactly one pick in the 1st 3 rounds on a DB since 2007, and that was a safety - Earl Thomas. The earliest they've selected a corner in that stretch is Thurmond in the 4th round in 2010. During that stretch that have taken 2 DEs in the 1st round, and a DT and 2 LBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

20. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    My Top 5 needs are:

1. CB
    2. S
    3. CB
    4. OT
    5. OLB

A few guys I am targeting with our 1st round pick include:

S Gerold Holliman - 14 INTs. 'Nough said
    CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu - Smallish but a bigtime playmaker
    OT Cameron Erving - Versatile and a solid player.
    CB Marcus Peters - Sounds like a real knucklehead but very talented.
    OLB Lorenzo Mauldin - Stout and explosive off the edge. Converted DE.

I definitely want to go S or CB in Round 1. I think there's going to be some value where we pick.

I know it may sound absurd to some, however, if one of the RBs (Gordon, Yeldon, Abdullah or Gurley) are available when we pick in Round 2, I think we may have to grab one. Our depth behind Bell is non existent.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I still love anthony harris from Virginia at safety and would add duke Johnson from the U to your list of RB's. :cool:

22. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    That's absurd. These days you can find decent starting RBs in the mid rounds. We just need a guy for 5-10 touches per game. We can pick that up wherever. We need high investments at CB, CB, S, and OLB, like you mentioned. Frankly, even after all those are covered, I'd be okay starting over and covering them again just to make sure.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if bell stays healthy and isn't suspended the first two games. we have seen how a RB can make a difference, if Abdullah was sitting there, I'd have a hard time not snagging him. I still don't think we grab that many cb's in this draft that early, the quality just isn't there.:cool:

24. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    no way the Steelers should take a RB that high..They need Olb, CB, and DL before taking a RB..pressure and more pressure from up front

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it comes down to what and who is available when they pick. just because we need a certain position the value at that position just may not be there.:cool: