1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Early First Round Targets

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by NY STEELERFAN, Jan 6, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

—Delaware's Nasir Adderley was the best small-school prospect on the field all week. A smooth operator at free safety, Adderley could push himself into the first 32 picks of the 2019 NFL draft thanks to his above-average coverage skills and excellent range. He's a potential day one starter at either nickel or safety.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    There's 3 CBs that are being talked about as potential Top 20 guys - Greedy Wiilliams, Deandre Baker and Byron Murphy.

I'm hoping Greedy blows up the combine. I'm not as high on him as most and have him ranked 3rd out of the 3.

Between Baker and Murphy, i think most have Baker as the more overall polished player where Murphy may be seen as having a higher ceiling.

Can't go wrong with either Baker or Murphy but I would be a little more excited with the Washington CB.

I think one of them will be there at #20. If not, then there should be a LB/pass rusher that has fallen which will be a nice consolation place.

We just have to hope there's some desperate teams out there that push these mediocre QBs into the top 20.

• Like Like x 2
  3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I have said before Murphy is my early guy and that scares me that he will be gone cause I usually don't agree with many here with our first round pick. I have read that Williams may slip to off the field concerns. I will have to go back and find it but there was a report that GM's are worried what he will become after he gets paid. I will try and find where I read that....

4. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I saw something similar.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    This week, WalterFootball.com has heard about a number of high profile early-round prospects who have character concerns, including Jerry Tillery, Jachai Polite, Greedy Williams and Noah Fant. There are two other prospects who have come up as having significant off the field concerns. Those players are Utah safety Marquise Blair and Texas cornerback Kris Boyd. Some team sources really liked how Blair played at Utah, showing physicality and playing like his hair was on fire. Boyd has a decent skill set, but a lot of technical issues in coverage that hold him back.

However, teams are concerned about some of the habits that Blair and Boyd have. They are worried that both of them could have issues leading to suspensions because of that. Thus, Blair and Boyd have the potential to slide in the draft lower than where their talent level indicates they should go.

Here is the link some good stuff, I know some here don't like Walterfootball but it is what it is. Reah about the LB they compare to Leonard.....pretty interesting!

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2019rumors5.php

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I just found the article I was referring to:

Another high-profile prospect with makeup concerns is LSU cornerback Greedy Williams. Evaluators have some concerns about how Williams is going to respond to getting a multi-million dollar contract. They also are worried about family pressure and those around him being a distraction. Some sources feel that Williams is one of the most overrated players in the 2019 NFL Draft. They say LSU's 2018 games against Georgia and Alabama illustrate that. They felt that he took his foot off the pedal in his late season tapes and was protecting himself. A few sources said they graded Williams a late first-rounder, while another AFC scout said they graded Williams in Round 2. On top of the makeup, Williams' thin frame is providing some on-the-field concerns about how he will translate to the NFL. Williams will be in store for some interesting interviews at the combine, and it would help him if he could add weight to his frame.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well his name is Greedy :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Interesting. With Lewis gone, I wonder if the Bengals will be more or less likely to be drawn to these kinds of propsects like a magnet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Very good point and the Raiders too right?

10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Sounds like Tomlin's kind of guy :lolol:

Like I said, I have him 3rd out of the "Top 3" guys. Now if he goes to the combine and runs 4.4 at 6'1/6'2 and looks good in drills, he won't last to #20, which in my books is a net positive for Pittsburgh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Agree wholeheartedly regarding Murphy over Baker if both are available. Pittsburgh has historically banked on potential and Murphy is the better of the two. Add the fact he is fairly polished as well and he sure sounds like the player who can assist us for certain.

If not him, I do believe my other two candidates will be in play. Jachai screams Pittsburgh Steeler. That dude was born to hunt down quarterbacks. If not him, I am sure fans will love Bush's fearlessness and might get over his height limitations. If anything, today's NFL structure makes Bush's role a bit easier.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    With the way they are looking at TE (which seems like later round blocking types) but with not knowing the status of our two free agents and McDonald's injury history, would they consider TE early? The two from Iowa, Smith jr., the kid from ND would all be nice to add. With just a blocking TE, and McDonald going down would retard that part of the offense. I know we need defense but so much depends on what we might be losing on offense potentially. I wouldn't have that if we came away with a ten year good TE.:cool:

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A willing and able tackler is and should be a a top scouting concern when
    evaluating any DB going forward especially for a team like the PGH Steelers who requires their CB's and safety's to tackle.
    This is why a 170 pound db concerns me
    after they get tired of tackling a 225- 235 lb running back the whole first half,
    will they shy away from him in the second half? AKA Leonard Fournette
    against the Pgh Steelers 2017 in regular season game and playoff game. A quality db
    must have all qualities. I am a firm believer this person must be able to play man to man
    and be able to find the ball to make a play on the ball. Create turnovers. See Steeler TO ratio
    I believe it was -15 this can't happen and expect the Steelers to be Superbowl contenders.
    Yes you can say Ben caused these numbers to skew. And I truly believe he is a big culprit 15 INT's
    but the defense must also create their fair share of turnovers and it just didn't happen.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Just because a guy is 170 or 182 like I read don't mean he isn't a willing tackler. As a matter of fact Murphy had 37 solo and 58 total tackles last season. I get the idea of staying away from the smaller guys but if a guy has ball skills I am not worrying about size. Like I said before this is a pass happy league and if we have to worry about our DB's making tackles on every play we have bigger problems. This D has shown the lack of ball skills and a major lack of coverage if I see a guy with these skills this year in the draft(Murphy) then I am all in and size isn't an issue for me. JMO

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Our DB 's do make a lot of tackles. The two safeties lead the team in them. The corners are right up there with a lot too, so yes there is a problem. If our linebackers were doing their jobs our DB's may not have to and they could do what we need them to do.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Youre dead on. I've seen alot of tape of a very willing tackler. For his size he can also knock the ball loose from WRs. I've seen him come in like a missile on swing passes to RBs.

I know he had the foot issue that caused him to miss 6-7 games but his frame really isn't to blame for that one.

I think Murphy is going to weigh in at 180-185 and run 4.4 and showcase superb COD skills at the combine.

He's currently my #1 option, the question is, Does he last until #20. 50-50 I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Friends, I am not singling out Murphy, I am sure he is a great talent
    and will have a wonderful career. All I was trying to point out is to be a realist
    when evaluating your favorite players. There are lot of things scouts and evaluators are looking at
    when they are contemplating on spending a small fortune of the owners money on this talent.
    I happen to love overachieving BIG MOTOR players that may not have the measurables but have
    a love for the game of football.. The biggest question evaluators must ask themselves,
    how will this talent transition to the pro game where all players are good.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i know one that has talent and we are not talking much about is julian love from ND. i'm also still on the brice brown train if we wait for a later round guy. he's a talented corner. the kid from miami isn't too bad either. this is a pretty good class of corners this cycle. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Love is kind of a jack of all trades CB, master of none. I like him. Solid corner. But just kind of average across the board. More of a round 2-3 type of guy.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this early in the process a lot of these guys that had injuries get pushed down for the flavor of the month. brown and love fall into this category. as i said this class is very deep in corners, so getting a top player at another position still gets you a pretty good player down the line as well. possibly a player like brian burns. even if he starts out as a situational pass rusher for us, the kid creates turnovers. we need more of that. more pressure and balls coming out faster makes the DB's better. guys that can play up near the LOS and jam guys create a lot of chaos where a pure downfield cover man can't. i'm not against a guy like murphy at all but we need so much, i'd hate to miss on guys that could help the overall defense. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If they lose AB, have to wonder if they'd consider a first rd pick on a receiver. If there is no DB or LB worth picking or if they have an extra first, I'd want N'Keal Harry. He'd be just what they need and could be there at 20.

23. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    You will see lots of publications predictions up until the draft, all I am saying for us arm chair Gm's
    scouts /evaluating talent, Be realistic with your expectations and remember who these players
    are competing against. Now put them in against a JUJU or AB and see how they might do trying to defend
    that type of player. Pick the position it really doesn't matter just try to imagine these players against
    PRO PLAYERS There is a big difference. I do not spend the time as some of you people do,whether it be your
    hobby, or you just enjoy doing it. I am just expressing an opinion. Scouts should be watching a lot of tape and talking to alot of people
    up until the draft. Be prepared. I can only hope the Steelers are. And usually 2-3 years later will know the answer if it was good
    draft year.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

I did put this on the backburner initially because I thought that the Wide Receiving position was deep. I now realize how horribly wrong I was. There really is only two, possibly three, First Round receivers. Everyone else is up in the air. They are as follows:

D.K. Metcalf: Best overall in terms of talent. Thing that separates him from the others is his athletic ability. Not the best combat catcher but is a close second. Best trait is deep play ability.

N'Keal Harry: Love JuJu? Meet his bigger, stronger clone. Love combat catching? You will love him. Once he contests the catch, good luck to the poor defensive backs that face him.

Kelvin Harmon: Most physical receiver overall. Not just his routes but his demeanor. Not as great as Harry in terms of high pointing and will not beat Metcalf in a race but has some nasty to his game.

Deebo Samuel could be an option but am still unsure about him. AB's cousin is someone I would not consider either. Beyond those two, not too many other receivers that have my attention currently.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Even if we move AB, which I still rate as unlikely, I can't see us going WR in rounds 1 or 2. Those really need to go to the Defense.

Because overall this is a Defensive heavy draft, good WRs will get pushed down to the middle rounds.

Maybe it's time Colbert go find us another hidden gem.

One name I will throw out is JJ Arcega-Whiteside of Stanford. Mike Evans like ability. I think he's a 1st rounder all the way but most seem to rate him as a 3rd round type guy. I'd look at him if that was the case but will re-visit after the combine.