1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Early 2021 draft talk

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Oct 16, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Tylan Wallace from James Washington's own alma mater would be my first choice. Tough, reliable, very good route runner and can consistently make catches. Another is Kardarius Toney from the University of Florida. Absolute highlight reel and pairing him with Chase Claypool would be a lot of fun. If you want a Receiver with the speed to match, good luck finding anyone faster in this draft, regardless of position, than Anthony Schwartz. There really is not anyone that comes close in terms of speed, explosiveness and agility.

All this said, should Patt Freiermuth should be a top option for the team. I doubt the team intends to keep both Vance and Eric. Even if Eric is somehow retained, it is clear they do not like Zach Gentry's development. Patt may lack some polish in some areas but he is way too gifted and talented to let those shortcomings give pause to teams. Worth it in the first round for me if all options are exhausted. An absolute steal in Round 2; trading up or otherwise.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    QB.

If there is one there at the end of the first, I don’t see how they don’t do it. I’d definitely want them to.

Do we really think Ben has another season in him? I mean I think he’ll try it but they should have someone to step in. It’s the end of the line for Ben, needs to be addressed, now.

QB trumps all other positions, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope, badly needed run blockers with mean streak will be needed going forward. #7 expiration date is almost up
    and a young Qb will need all the help they can get.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope we are seeing some of these additions being done now as ways of shoring up some of the positions now. Leglue, isidora. Dotson looks good to me so that seems to be a hit. Chuks, Hawkins, coyle, hassenauer getting some needed playing time. Even if these guys are just depth that helps for next year. Getting familiar and some playing time in the league is a big step. Nearly all of them have been under live fire. Two of them center capable. Depends on banner and how well and how fast he can come back from his injury. I could see a LT drafted or brought in. :cool:

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If Trey Lance is somehow still available, I would trade up to get him. Definitely worth the pick if he is somehow there.

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    17 starts, 20 years old...sky could be the limit, but could be a bumpy road getting there. It's part of that gamble you take, but no denying the talent.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

True.

The NFL Draft is impossible to figure out anyway. Justin Herbert proved that point abundantly clear as immense but raw potential and talent does not always equate to success. There will be more of these types of players, QBs doubly so and no less but to not take the chance on such talents can sometimes backfire.

8. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I am sorry I don't see it with this group, maybe I haven't seen enough of them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Not saying this is ideal, but with the money we will have next year I could easily see this happening.:cool:

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    On the subject of raw QB potential, I am going to want to watch some film on Desmond Ridder in the run up to the draft. I’ve watched him play a few times the past few years, including one game in person in his freshman season vs. UCONN. He’s got legit NFL raw tools to work with, and he’s been improving every year. He’s a winner.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Sure is!!

I would not mind him myself. For me, he is just behind Kyle Trask on my board of QBs, 6th overall. Getting him to a quality QB Coach is critical for him.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Desmond Ridder...

[​IMG]

Definitely would not mind having him in the second round. Showed quite a bit of grit and toughness today against that vaunted Georgia Defense. Came away more impressed from this game than I have of him all season.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    C. Josh Myers from the buckeyes would be a nice start to the draft.
    RB Javonte Williams found two.
    ILB Chazz surratt round three. :cool:

14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Anyone who watched the combine last year noticed Herbert was special... I still took Burrow over him tho, and am kicking myself. lol I haven’t watched enough yet this year but I can say none of these guys impressed me outside of Trev and Fields.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would rather focus on a Offensive Tackle come 2021 given how barren the team will likely be at the position. Big Al and Matt Feiler are as good as gone. Zach Banner is the wild card here. Will he fully recover from his ACL injury?! As stated before, ACL injuries are very difficult to fully recover from; some players never regaining their athleticism again. Avery Williamson is a prime example of this as he did not look the same in 2020 as he did in 2018 after fully recovering in 2019.

16. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2021
    They need to draft a QB or hope they can win the Sam Darnold sweepstakes after the Jets draft Fields so they can focus on Linemen and Edge Rusher as a priority. I can’t relive the Tommy Maddox years watching Rudolph or some other scrub take the reigns.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think there is any question that chuks moves to LT. He's there draft pick. Hawkins, Leglue, Coyle, walton, Jones all have a year under their belts here. Then we can see where banner is. I like Hawkins more then most. He was actually looking good when they traded him at the time. He was also a 4 th round pick and will be in year 6. I'd love to have a really good interior guy like Myers at the ready. Pounceys days are numbered. DD ain't far behind. I kind of expect them to use the guys from within as they have done so much in the past. I'm also not sure they don't make an offer to Feiler. It won't be big money but I'm not sure he sees big money offered. He's a RT and not very good at guard. :cool:

18. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I like all these three players.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2021
    ACC is overrated.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

There in lies the issue.

The Combine and the collegiate season that Herbert played in are two different Flashpoints. The issue was not Herbert's performance at the Combine but why was none of that shown during the 2019 NCAA Season.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Rudolph looked good to me today. That said, he still has a lot to prove. Today was a step in the right direction though.

That said, as I told Blast, unless Lance falls that far, do not bet on the Steelers trading up to get one. It just is not in the cards.

22. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2021
    I think taking Alex Leatherwood is the best bet. Find a QB we can develop. Maybe it’s Rudolph, but I still don’t see it.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    ND Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah declared for the draft

Him and Bush on the field at the same time

upload_2021-1-5_17-16-36.gif

Also, if you’re looking at left tackle, Liam Eichenberg needs to be on the radar.

They’ve had success drafting ND players, Tuitt, Claypool.

Next year, TE Mayer will be high on my list.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This is all assuming Alex Leatherwood will be on the board by then. He is a Top Five Tackle in this class; Top Three Tackle for me.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Isn't JOK 215lbs. though?! How would that work given the fact that Marcus Allen, a player with similar weight, gets pushed around quite often?! Love the athleticism but he would need to bulk up 20lbs.

The question remains as to whether or not his athleticism will stay with him should he elect to do so. Cameron McGrone, a Linebacker from Devin Bush's alma mater, would be a good fit. Not only that, McGrone can be had in the later rounds; Pittsburgh nabbing an Offensive Tackle in the First Round being the goal.

JOK is a 4-3 WILL. Reminds me fondly of a supercharged Telvin Smith! :eek: