1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Early 2021 draft talk

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Oct 16, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Dotson has never played at LG though. It is still impossible to speculate what 2021 has in store for us in terms of teams getting a Training Camp or not. If anything, I would rather just head into the 2021 NFL Draft and acquire an Offensive Tackle as this year is loaded at the position. Granted, not as loaded as 2020 but it is close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He went to LG in the ravens game when chuks got hurt and Feiler went to RT. :cool:

3. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Perhaps but that is merely a one time showcasing. Could Dotson hold up for an entire season?! That remains to be seen.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Offensive line is the #1 priority for me in the first round. I would rather have an OT but wouldn't be upset with a C capable guy either.

ILB is still #2 probably until I see more of Avery Williamson. I had high hopes for UG3 but where the heck has he been?

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

UG3 is back on IR. I suppose he is just like Travis Feeney; super athletic but super brittle. If anything, if Dylan Moses is available by then, I would nab him in a heartbeat.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't remember seeing that transaction, so that explains why I haven't been hearing his name mentioned lol. Was it his back? Back injuries are the worst for anyone...

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Sadly so. I do not have the details sadly but he likely re-aggravated his back yet again. Even with today's medical techs and medicene/treatment, back issues are still a major problem to overcome.

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Hey AQL, have been thinking something for a while and some commentators were talking about it this morning, so I thought I would get your take.

The specific thing they were talking about were covid opt outs and the draft, while my thoughts were about many schools with limited games and how this would affect evals, especially those coming out early. Scouts know how to separate talent, but that fine line between grading say late 2nd to 4th round...many times the real depth for a team. Do you think next years draft has the possibility of high risk/late reward? By this I mean w/o a lot of vid and game scouting taking someone with great potential to high, and on the other hand many quality players dropping to the later rounds (say from smaller schools) because teams will possibly be cautious.

So many unknowns as well as next year colleges will have the ability to have expanded rosters for those who opted out this year. Will some choose to go back and try and get a better draft position the following year? Ought to be an interesting spring for those who follow the draft..

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nothing special watched him against Coastal Carolina.

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He didn't play well in that game, but he has been good the rest of the season.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd be looking at the kids from North Carolina at ILB and at RB. Their kid at QB looks pretty good too.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Kyle Trask late 1st if available . Can sit behind Ben and Mason for Ben`s last year , Mason`s too. I like Trask , big with a strong arm and they say very coachable and teamates like him. 5 year college player that has paid has dues.

If not Trask, get best OT/C players in round 1 and 2.

Have to rebuild the OL and it takes a year or 2 to get them all on same page.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Corner could be another place to look with haden age, Nelson in his last year next year and hilton and sutton being free agents. They have plenty of holes to fill. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is was the only competent team they have played though.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I still think he will be a first round pick, he has a good arm.

17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree, and even with all the needs if they get a 5th pick in those rounds (trade or comp) I would not mind a 3rd OL with a later pick (of those 5) if someone like Dotson is available. C, T, RB, ILB and G would not be sexy, but could be the strength for future.

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I agree, the lineman picks are never sexy to most, but I like them. They really set the tone for the rest of their particular units. The Steelers are a perfect example...look at all the good to great WRs we have and Conner, imo, can be a great back when healthy. But the offense is sputtering because the o-line is banged up and long in the tooth in spots.

I would love to see 2 OL, an ILB and an OLB in the first 4 rounds.

I can see a RB being drafted as Conner is a FA. If a good one slips to the 2nd, I think they may think long and hard on it, but its hard to peg a round until we see all that's available and who leaves of course.

19. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree Turtle, if they can retain Banner a FA coming off an injury then it gives more options on the line. If Pouncey comes back (no reason to thin other) you can still go C or T in first if one is there you really like, RB, ILB G and even TE..I know CB might be a need as well (especially if they lose both Cam and Hilton, Layne unproved and Haden getting older. So as always an interesting off season, buts lets get through this one first and pick at 32.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Chaz Surratt NC ILB
    Williams NC RB
    CB
    center
    NT
    OG or OT
    TE
    :cool:

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    What about Zaven Collins everyone?! He has impressed me all season long. Would not mind adding him in Round 1 assuming they cannot keep Bud.

Then again, Alex Highsmith has been playing very well despite his limited production.

22. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The Steelers need to adjust their offensive philosophy to a more balanced attack and draft accordingly. Move Okafor to LT, Dotson at LG, draft and interior OL to back up or sign Wisniewski again ;), if they are keeping Pouncey and DeCastro, Banner at RT, and draft a tackle that can play left tackle. They should be able to find a decent blocking tight end in free agency. They need a stud RB and a stud QB, this is where it gets tricky, because the needs are greater than the number of premium picks the team has. On defense they need depth at DL, ILB, OLB. CB and S if Sutton and Hilton leave.

This doesn't even factor in the changes in coaching that need to happen on offense.

23. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think you have to at least take a couple of lineman in this draft. I'm not sure they need to be first rounders, but you need some guys. If you assume we go into next year with this....

Chuks/Dotson/Pouncey/Decastro/Banner

Feiler and AV are let go.

Hassenhaur and Gray are backup interior. You have zero, and I mean zero tackles for depth. You don't have any backup caliber player at the C or G position who can do anything more than play a game here or there. Let's just say that we draft a LT in the first. A stud. You take a RB in round 2. You take a RT or Guard in round 3. TE in round 4. OLB in 5. BPA the rest. That is just my thoughts at the moment. The Oline must be fixed.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Hawkins is a swing tackle. Coyle, Leglue, Walton.:cool:

25. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised to see another 2-3 rd wr to replace Juju. Washington has one more year and hasn't really developed. You gotta keep fresh pieces coming in.