1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Eagles just gave the recipe to BEAT Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Sep 26, 2016.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The WR screen game..The RB screen game..Misdirection and quick slants from free releases...KC will be loading the playbook with these plays and why not ? What can the Steelers do to stop them ? I don't really see a answer..Do you guys see one ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm not sure the recipe goes beyond "turn up and play".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Some of it was execution. Even with a blueprint about beating us, executing better and as a disciplined unit we should be able to solve many problems.

However, if that blueprint was created, I expect our Staff better be creative and use that in our favor.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hit and destroy would be good.

5. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    So here is the question: do the Steelers recognize this weakness and seek to adjust?

Here is what they will do. Nothing. They won't make any adjustments, because they'll spend the week trying to work on (improve) what they do.

Only once, in the past 9+ seasons have I noticed the Steelers actually change what they do to game plan for an opponent: 2010 vs Pats. And they won that game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Does this recipe involve brownies with something baked in them?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    A few seasons ago NE were meant to have given the league the recipe for beating Lebeau's defense. It never really worked out like that, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep ,but that D wasn't as bad as this one ..We had at least 1 CB that could press and take away a lot of the WR screen game, he was also a good tackler and we had many more good tacklers ...I really don't see a answer with the talent level of this group..

9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I don`t think you can read much into that game. For one, we got beat at the lines of scrimmage from what I saw. Once your beat there you have no control of the game. They got just enough pressure on Ben and it seemed to me our receivers did not get as open as they usually do. Between all that and the penalties and Wheaton dropping a couple key passes early on, this game was doomed.

I think after the Bungle game our O and D lines were either tired or uninspired to play hard this game. We gave up, not to mention the game plan which turned out deeply flawed.

Give the Eagles credit. Wentz probably just had the best game he will have all year and it seemed to me they made no mistakes.

We can score on the best defenses in the NFL. This game was an aberration.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It was 2011... not '10. Steelers got demolished by the Pats in 2010.

11. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh man, that Sunday night game. I went to that debacle. It got cold in the stands that night as all of the fans ditched the game since it was so ugly. That's also the game that got Jeff Reed canned.

12. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I live in KC and this Chiefs game scares me. Their defense really showed up against the Jets yesterday, six picks in one game is insane. They have a secondary that matches up well against our receivers and won't play soft. They can also get pressure with rushing four. I hope to hell our boys get their **** together by Sunday night. If we dump that one, I will be getting my balls busted for weeks.

13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Its not hard to beat our vanilla defense. Everyone has move the ball on our defense. Its all about taking your time and throwing the ball to a wide open receiver

14. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    We got destroyed in the trenches, I doubt that happens again.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The recipe to beat the Steelers is the same for the Patriots, Cardinals, Packers, Vikings, Seahawks, and other playoff caliber based teams..

Play fundemental football and exectue. Do neither and you will lose.

16. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    that recipe is old. the eagles didn't show the league nothing they didn't know. most teams will bail us out by not being patient. the eagles will dink and dunk cause that is what they do. no surprise. we have to tackle

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Which goes back to the fundementals.

18. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Recipe????

It's not like our team has been unstoppable and the Eagles discovered our kryptonite and is sharing it.

1) Since 1982 when they started keeping sack records this Steeler team is the ONLY team to record but 1 in its first 3 games.

2) We have a slot CB playing outside, an outside CB designed to play press playing off.

3) A rookie SS lost and afraid to tackle

4) 2nd string ILBers

5) 4-3 OLBers playing 3-4 OLB

6) A DC who may not be what we hoped he was going to be.

7) Our OL isn't as solid as we thought

8) We have TWO WR that can't catch and one injured .

9) No FB

10) 3 TEs that can't block

11) One old RB ( who has played well ) and two bench warmers

12) A QB that can't throw in the rain and seems overly concerned about keeping AB happy

There is no blueprint. This team we knew from the beginning had to score 35 points a game to be successful and that was before all the defensive injurys and poor DL play. Heyward and Tuitt are studs playing Avg football.

Every member of this team better check himself or our season is over. It was bad from coaching to every player.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Yes. Thanks. That is correct.

20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Honestly the reason we won that game is because we went against what we had been putting on tape forever and started actually playing tight man. They didn't expect it and had no answer for it. I guess if the pats have one kryptonite it's that they aren't a very physical team and if you take them out of their routes and bang them around you have a much greater chance of beating them. That's what happened that day. That was Woodley's last great game as a Steeler and he even wound up hurt in that game. Sigh....

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need to play better in all 3 phases of the game, we will be alright This is an 11-5 team.
    We need to get hot at the right time. Will we ever be able to stop a good TE?

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We also had Ike Taylor, Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu. Even though they were aging and not as good as in years past.. they played a great game and beat Brady by playing smart, fundamental football. We don't have that kind of talent at CB and Safety anymore. Not even close.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I seem to remember the chiefs beating the hell out of the patriots 41-14 in game 4 of the 2014 season, they said then the chiefs showed the recipe to beat the pats, and everyone started to question if Brady was too old to be the starting QB anymore, which Belichick laughed about. And of course the pats went on to a 12-4 record and won the superbowl against the seahawks that same year, moral of the story, dont spend a lot of time trying to figure out why a team can lose an early game in a blow out and then go on to win a superbowl..........

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    i keep saying how many teams before have done this. smh everyone ready to throw in the towel lol

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Its's not a throw in the towel thread..I agree all Teams are capable of a bad game here and there ...That is not what is going on in this case ..We have 1 sack in 3 games and are giving up over 300 yards passing in every game ...Washington and the Bengals both kind of stuck to their game plans very little misdirection not a lot of WR screens, and not a ton of quick throws...Both of those Teams moved the ball up and down the field , but couldn't convert.. The Eagles showed that quick game with misdirection can get the poor playing poor tackling unit confused as well...To me that is the recipe the main ingredients already there and when you add the deception this Defense is in trouble...That is why I am concerned.....
    0 sacks and 300 yards a game in the air will not beat most NFL Teams those are the facts not flukes it's the pattern and that pattern must change ..My question is how?