1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

dwyer joining ike taylor

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheSteelHurtin2188, Apr 15, 2012.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Dwyer has decided to join taylor and work out with tom shaw in florida this summer. Shaw is very good at getting guys ready to go. Rumor is troy may join them for a bit in florida as well.

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Good to hear. I still have extremely high hopes for Dwyer. Now that it looks like we will be without Mendenhall for most, if not all of the season, I think Dwyer can really break through. Working out with Shaw should help his speed and his conditioning. If he can get into camp at a high physical level, I think he could be highly productive this season.

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I hope Troy joins them and is ready to go get another defensive player of the year award again this year

4. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know why, but I'm feeling extra excited about this upcoming season... is it football season yet!?!?!?

5. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Dwyer severely cut his playing time last year by coming to camp out of shape. Maybe he is getting his head in the game.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Great news. Dwyer's offseasons were his only real problem, along with lack of playing time. With both of those problems seemingly out of the picture, I'm excited. Man I hope we don't draft a RB. I want to see the ones we have.

Would be nice to see Troy down there too.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought Troy always worked out in California - he does that new agey type of training? Or was that just for his injury recuperation?

8. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think Dwyer will be much in the NFL. I certainly could be wrong, but if you show up to any camp out of shape that is a major red flag. Casey Hampton got away with it because of his position, but not at RB.

9. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    taylor had been begging him to come down there and the achilles stopped him last year. Think about farrior taylor and gay they never get lower body injuries i think that is what has a lot to do with it

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    But that's the point -- he's taking it seriously this year. And even after coming into camp fat, he worked it off and produced when called upon. He'll be called upon much earlier this year, and it looks like he knows it and is preparing.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    still none of them are a real outside, get the edge, make a guy miss,homerun,break away speed threat that can be another weapon in the pass game too. that looks like what they are looking at to draft. james,peed,miller,baker,raney is who they have been looking at. that's quite a different back then what we have here. i'd like to see them draft one. or at least try spann. he fits that mold. if we were to just keep what we have, a true FB would help their game. it just doesn't look like what they want to be on offense consistantly though. 3 yards and a cloud of dust isn't what they are trying to build here. what really has me scratching my head though is the big run blocking line they have doesn't fit the fast game but more the traditional FB -strait ahead style run game. i remember not all that long ago, the steelers were the best team in the league at running screens. we would also run ,traps and counters to perfection. our linemen were mobile though. now it just looks like they want linemen as big as possible and just build a wall around ben and let him pass at will. or mike. or heath. or......... :cool:

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't care about getting to the outside. I just want to see someone who can make a good pancake block on a blitzer and be a threat to make a first down at anything less than 3 yards.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe, just maybe these guys will dedicate thereselves to their
    profession. You would think even making the mininum salary which is probably around
    400 G that these guys IKE not included would come into camp in shape and ready to perform?
    I wander how bad a shape Woodley will come into camp, there is another dog when it
    comes to training.Makes all that money to play a half of season,don't you think
    the Steelers get tired of this?

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is great news.I can't believe more guys wont invest into this program.

15. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Farrior missed a game or two last year due to a calf injury.

This is good news about Dwyer and sheds a positive light where there has been some concern with his work ethics and how prepared he has been coming into camp in years past. The only knock on it is that it seems a bit late. Going there for one month so close to the start of training camp...there is only so much you can do in 4 weeks. So I hope he has been training hard wherever with whomever beforehand as well.

It is hard to say what motivates any of these guys. I recall an article last year that said Ben kept the name tag from his Super Bowl locker on his bathroom mirror at home to remind him of that lose and how bad it hurt. He said it motivated him to get back there and win it again. In terms of his physical conditioning last year I didn't see that determination. So far this year seems to be a different story with him as recent photos would suggest he has indeed been working out and shedding some weight.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yea, that should be good enough. :roll: :cool:

17. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Seriously? It's too late in Mid-April when the season doesn't start for 5 months?

The way those guys work down there in the Florida heat, I bet you'd be amazed at the difference in week 2 versus week 1. I haven't been a big Dwyer fan to this point, I'm in the draft a RB minority... but this does make me happy. I think Tom Shaw is a big reason for Ike and Farrior's success well into their's 30's.

18. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't see anything but positives coming out of this. We'll need a RB to step up for Mendy and I was hoping to see more of Dwyer this season. Sounds like he knows his number may be called and he's preparing himself for it. It's actually really good news imo.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    remember, he's gunning for the starting spot too, as will be clay and batch and spann. redman better be in shape too. there's nothing set in stone yet i'm sure of who's getting what reps. this is a whole new offense now, and just because you did certain things good in the old O doesn't mean he can do the new things asked of him in this O. our backs may be asked to run screens and go out in patterns more. maybe batch or spann have better skills at this stuff. it all depends on what haley wants each position to do in his offense. things are going to look different this year. :cool:

20. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I read the article on SteelersDepot before coming here and it stated he is set to spend the month of July there. That was the premise of my comment, which I now realize was not clearly stated here in this thread. So I apologize for that, but I stand by my opinion that 1 month is not a lot of time and he had better be working it hard elsewhere beforehand. I won't assume that based on how he showed up to training camp last year. If he wants to be taking a shot at starter or even 2nd RB he had better hit the start of training camp in top physical condition and not use camp/preseason to get there.

21. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Either way, how is him joining Taylor to workout a bad thing? It's not. I don't see any reason to put a negative spin on it. ;-)