1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dupree's lack of sacks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Dec 14, 2017.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Great athleticism does not mean great football player. Lambert was not great physical specimen. Some where along the way the brain has to engage. I watch him make the same bull rush time and time again only to be 10 yards to the left and behind the QB. Doesn't Porter do any coaching of technique?

2. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    From Lexington Ky area and watched Dupree play for the Ky. Wildcats and he was not that great then in my opinion .. People that go to Ky for football are good to a certain level but not good enough to start if they went to Ala, Ohio State or Penn St. University of Ky is noted for the basketball program.

3. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Looks like they've been using CB Hilton as the blitzer on Bud's side. He's been sent in more times than any CB in the league. They probably want Bud to do other things than just blitz the qb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I think Watt is the real deal. I just hope he has better luck than his brother when it comes to injuries.

As far as OLBs are concered... Steelers have had some good OLBs not named Porter, Harrison or Woodley over the years.

I wish Jason Worilds was still playing. The guy was a solid OLB for the Steelers like Clark Haggans was during the '04 & '05 seasons. Steelers could get by with one really good OLB like Watt... and a serviceable/workman-like OLB like Worilds/Haggans on the other side.

In Tomlin-like prose... Dupree has been "below the line" for a 1st round draft pick.

• Like Like x 1
  5. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Porter should have been replaced by Greene.. Tomlin blew that...

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Greene retires and somehow Tomlin is to blame?

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    First JuJu's bike, now Dupree's socks... Will the larceny never end??!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I said the same thing and got like 20 dislikes for saying so. :shrug:

9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Like Jarvis Jones, I'd be surprised if Dupree gets another contract offer/extension from the Steelers. That is, unless he plays lights out in the post season, creates turnovers and sacks. We'll see... but so far, it's not looking good. That will be 2 whiffs at first round OLBs in the past 5 years.

10. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Bud has always been a project; they fell in love with his measurables, and HOPED he would develop into a productive player. He had the size/speed combination to become great if he could develop the instincts....IDK. He's a freak athlete but not necessarily a great football player. I think the NFC East scout nailed it.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/bud-dupree?id=2552289

WEAKNESSES
    Tall but not long. Wins with athleticism over skill at this point. Some scouts believe his instincts are below average, leading to hesitation. Will get caught taking bad angles to the ball. Needs to improve hand fighting. Still raw rushing the passer. Doesn't possess a go-to pass-rush move. Appears to lack urgency in-game.
    SOURCES TELL US
    "He's a little slow to diagnose, which causes him to get a late start on plays. I would ask him to drop into space in zone dog looks and that's about it. To me, he's a pure see 'em, get 'em 3-4 rush end." -- NFC East regional scout

11. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    JJ was a huge whiff, BD isn't as bad but it ain't looking good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    A player trying to make the big play and not understanding where their team mates should be, or trusting them to complete the play, is exactly why we got torched by Jacksonville.

13. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Greene was our internship lb coach in 2008.. then GB picked him up in 2008 or 2009.. we let him go. then in 2016-2017 greene went to the Jets.. Could have signed him again.

14. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Glenn I think this is a more pressing concern for you and I specifically:

[​IMG]

15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    grasp at straws much?

16. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    He likes Greene straws.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  17. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If I recall, Greene came out and said he wanted to come back to Pittsburgh to coach. If you watched the football life episode about him, it's clear the guy bleeds black and gold.

I wish we'd have brought him in to replace Porter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    I was busy cracking jokes. You probably meant to quote the other guy.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    When Porter got in legal trouble last season, it came out that Greene wanted to come back to the Steelers as a coach.

20. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    So I guess that's no taking me off your anti speed dial list to help me with Dupree's evil white twin?

:lolol:

21. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Defense doesn't have the talent or overall discipline to be dominate. However, in their defense, haha, there are no more elite defenses. The NFL does not allow defenses to dominate anymore. The only shot for a defense to dominate is if you do what Von Miller did in 2015 or you get really lucky and draft a Russell Wilson and you can pay him 400k a year for 4 years and then you can load a **** load of money for a defense so you can do what Seattle did in 2013 and 2014.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I wonder if we pick up his 5th year option.

That's the reason why you don't draft a project in the first round. He might catch on or develop but will he before it's time to pick up that option.

As of now, he has not done anything that makes me believe he can be better for the amount of money we have to dish out for that option.

23. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    There - fixed it for you CK - this way we get 3 guys instead of just one - which we might need against you know who. ;)

24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Now you tell us ................[​IMG]

25. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I did lol sorry!