1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dupree's lack of sacks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Dec 14, 2017.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I brought this up in another thread and thought it was worthy of discussion.

The talk on SNR is that Bud is being asked to contain the QB and force him up in the pocket for the inside pass rush. Which kinda makes sense considering most of the sacks have come from the DL and ILB positions.
    Not sure if this is really what's going on or if they're just making excuses for him?

2. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    If he's containing then why did the Rats kill us on the outside run last week. I think he's maybe not all we thought he was..

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Talking specifically about containing or pressuring the QB.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You might have missed the mark on that one.

5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

There was an article on SD yesterday defending Dupree. In short he has one less sack than Watt, but 5 more pressures.

Linkage
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12/kozora-dont-give-bud-dupree/

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Dupree is not a world beater this season but a steady player who still might be nicked up. The scheme has changed under Butler in which Glenn touched on with the OLB not the primary sack makers. Personally I don't care who gets to the QB as long as they do. Should they call up Jarvis Jones? :lolol:

7. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I really must not have gotten enough sleep last night. I first read the subject as "Dupree's lack of socks" and I was wondering what socks had to do with anything important :grin::hmm:

8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe if Bud wore socks he would have more sacks. Honestly, I like Bud and I think he is doing fine. There is room for growth and the potential is there. Remember he was raw when we drafted him. I think he is one of those guys that take a little longer to catch on...that is what I remain excited about. If we are still discussing his lack of growth in the next season or two, I will change my mind about him.

9. sec108

sec108 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    His lack of everything, 1 Tackle in the Ravens game!!!

Every play he would rush, the tackle would simply guide him up field, pushing him past the pocket or allowing the running-back to cut under him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    This is what I’ve been seeing. But my eyesight is not too good.

11. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    your I sight is fine...

12. sec108

sec108 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Whole game I was screaming at him to play the run as his pass rush was worthless

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    There was a couple games early in the season where they would stunt Dupree inside and he had a lot more success. But yeah, he still runs up the field a lot...

14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    When James Harrison got cut 5 or 6 times I give everybody a chance to make it. People used to hit on Heyward the same way.

15. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014
    Have him drop some weight and play ILB

16. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    As mentioned in other threads, Shazier flying around, causing havoc, and disrupting opposing offenses-allowed for Dupree and others to get into the play and make contributions now and then.

With 50’s absence, the spotlight is on everyone who is not making the plays and especially for this “raw” talent that we watch being pushed away from the action. If it’s a designed “funneling” to feed Cam and Co, all good for sacks.......

.....as for the run, 1 tackle vs Baltimore (as posted above) speaks for itself.

Let’s hope the mentality is not “I did my job, I contained made the back cut upfield. I hope Spence makes the tackle”.

Yet maybe this is what is being coached as in-everybody do their job and all will Be ok.

17. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    We all see that Dupree gets run wide pretty often. If we see it, he has to know it as well. I wonder if he ever even considered to try to cut back inside when he is being run wide. It's worth a shot, no?

18. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014
    Runs wide pretty often?? he usually runs off my tv screen and its a 50" inch screen lol....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can anyone remember seeing him ever line up with his hand in the dirt and explode up into the blocker?

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    shoulder injury basically neutered a decent olb to Jarvis level

21. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    As long as he remembers that time-honored bit of wisdom: no socks before the big game.

• Like Like x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Dupree = Jarvis Jones, Alonzo Jackson, Bruce Davis 2.0

• Like Like x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The hyperbole really doesn't help the analysis, guys. Dupree is better than Jones, though still quite disappointing.

I am far more concerned by his failures against the run than his lack of sacks. I know losing Shazier hurt, but plenty of other teams have hurt the same way the Ravens did Sunday night. Part of that is Dupree's inability to set the edge. He actually does cut back inside, as pjgruden suggested. That is part of why he gets caught inside too often against the run.

24. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Excuses. Containment isn't 10 yards behind and to the left of the QB.

25. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    OK, that is 6 plays out of how many? What and how is he doing on the vast majority of plays? We may see more of Chickillo in the playoffs.