1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dupree's days may be numbered

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, May 23, 2018.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I just read that the coaching staff is going to switch Bud to the opposite side. So now he will be going against a left tackle which is usually the better tackle, he can't set the edge or win one on one battles now, is this supposed to make him better?

Maybe the switch will be good, remember how good Worlids played when they had him switch sides? I'm holding out hope it does get better but it is a long shot and perhaps this is how they decide whether to keep him beyond this season or not.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it's probably a move to increase their versatility. It's actually smart because you never know how someone's strengths and weaknesses matchup. Although there could also be a reason....they may think Watt would hold up better against the run and the tendency that they run to that side probably more often.
    ...but at the same time you might end up being right , curious to know where they project Adams. If they project him on the right side for now,you could be on to something

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  3. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    More evidence this staff thinks they can "coach up" raw physical talent that lacks football instincts. It doesn't work. It didn't work with Dupree and it won't work with Edmunds.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Please explain Big AL and Marcus Gilbert

• Like Like x 2
  5. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    1st of all, Big Al never even TRIED to play OT before so how can you even claim he didn't have instincts to play the position. Secondly, comparing OT to safety and LB not the same kettle of fish. As an OT, you have to master the space of a phone book; as S and LB so much more comes into play.

6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not comparing any positions. Your narrative is that they think they can take raw talent and coach it up with you saying here is my evidence that they cant. Unfortunately they have taken raw talent and coached it up some more successful some not so much however that doesn't fit your narrative so now you are adding criteria like position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm all for any change involving Dupree. He can't produce less and remain a starter.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Left Tackles are the superior tackle?

Lane Johnson, Ryan Rymczyk, Jack Conklin, Rob Havenstein and even our own Marcus Gilbert would have words with you. The proverbial "Golden Era of the Left Tackle" had already closed its vaults since the start of this decade. Those days are not coming back.

Today's game has changed far too much to fully entrust everything to one side of the offensive line; the legendary "Blindside Tackle" especially and notwithstanding. Building an offensive line in that vein in today's NFL is asking for trouble as any opposing defensive coordinator would simply attack your weakest area of that line with their strongest assest. In short? Attack the right side. Teams nowadays elect to either build from the interior or field an offensive line with two stout offensive tackles.

How does any of this have to do with Dupree? Simple. Find the matchup he can best exploit. When that weakness has been exposed, continue to exploit it until some form of schematic change is made to nullify the damage.

A better question would be why was this not experimented upon in the 2017 OTA's? Given the fact that Watt had played both at Wisconsin and Dupree also had some experience of being moved around himself in the Steel City, why now is quite unusual as I see it personally.

However, better late than never.

9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I think it all had to do with Harrison. He only played the one side so Dupree was playing opposite his first year and then last year with Watt they didn't want to dbl up on one side so had him play behind Harrison or thought he would and they just never changed it when Watt just went off.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They said it was all about making both tackles having to prepare for either OLB and not just the tendencies of just one guy for each tackle the week of the game. It's got nothing to do with dupree or watt being better on one side or the other. Makes great sense, make the other team have to prepare harder to play us. This is going to work just as well with all the looks we can give teams to have to prepare for using these safeties.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Actually Big Al played OT in college.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They picked up the fifth year option on Dupree. If his days are numbered it'll have to wait till after 2019.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You really ought to check your facts before making stuff up. Are you new to football?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Al played DE as a freshman, as well as receiver senior year, while at Army they moved him from DE to LT his sophmore year:

From WIKI:

In his sophomore season offensive line coach John Tice lobbied to have Villanueva converted to an offensive tackle which occurred near the end of his sophomore year. By his junior season he started every game at left tackle.

15. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I'm sure it will go one of 2 ways:

1. Complete fail with an underwhelming season and the ax.

2. Blows up and then wants top pass rusher money and signs elsewhere.