1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dumervil's hit on Brady and hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ray D, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    First, the hit (and what a beautiful hit it is):

[youtube:1cge9279]Z71qrrSFa5c[/youtube:1cge9279]

Now, I know I'm a cynical jerk. I know I'm a naysayer and biased towards my Steelers.

That said...

All I'm reading / hearing all night is that this hit:

A) Proves the NFL is still a tough man's hitting league.

B) Is a textbook hit, and guys like James Harrison could learn from it.

Now I'm calling :bscow: :bscow: :bscow:

Firstly, I'm friggin AMAZED that hit wasn't flagged (and it could still be fined). It's Tom Brady for Cripe's sake! What if he got hurt? Did you see how Dumervil DROVE him into the ground? Nope? Now put a Steeler uniform on him. Bet they see it then.

Did you see how Dumervil lowered his helmet as he launched? No? Why? Because the impact with Tom's arm jerked his head back? Or because he wasn't wearing a Steeler uniform? I don't mean he led with the crown of his helmet... but he sure as hell led with his forehead (just like virtually every hit Harrison et al have been fined for).

HE LED WITH HIS HEAD!!! Initial contact was WITH HIS HEAD! Now, don't get me wrong. *I* am not saying he's in the wrong. Your head is above your shoulders. It's kind of hard NOT to lead with your head if you're going for center mass. I'm merely pointing out that, yes, he did indeed lead with his head. This is important. Here's why:

*** If Brady sees him coming and cringes or ducks, there is ZERO chance Elvis would be able to adjust, and there would be H2H contact. It's fortunate it didn't happen, but we all know it easily can. Yet Harrison is always criticized because even though his target moved, and the head dropped into his head's path, it's his fault for launching head first. But all of the talking heads praise THIS hit. :bscow:

*** I don't know how Tom Brady managed to hang onto that ball. But Elvis is LUCKY that Tom Braced his arms to his chest. Had Tom been opened up, preparing to throw, Elvis' natural momentum would have carried the top of his helmet into Tom's facemask, which is also defined as H2H, and if it was a Steeler, there's no excuse. As it stands, Tom's arms stopped Elvis from rising up, but it easily could have gone the other way.

If James Harrison made this EXACT same hit, he'd be flagged, and likely fined. They would criticize him for leading with his head. They'd call him dirty for driving the QB into the ground. But it isn't James Harrison, so all of a sudden, this is a great, textbook hit that shows you can still hit hard in the NFL.

:bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow: :bscow:

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Greatest hit of the year that I have seen, Decleated the chosen one.
    The big baby that hardly ever gets hit. It was great! I loved it. Did I fail to mention
    that I hate the Ravens and the Pats!

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's hard not to agree. We don't need to turn this into a "NFL against the Steelers" thing, though (however much people want to compare it to Harrison). What it shows is how the rules on tackling are too open to interpretation to be enforced with the severity they are being.

Also, good to see Brady getting his ass handed to him. Cheered me up on a Monday morning.

4. SteelEd

SteelEd Member

Nov 15, 2011
    The NFL is becoming TYRANNICAL....

There are currently no rules.

They make up rules and penalties as they go.

I saw at least a dozen no flag hits on QBs this weekend...all of which would have gotten Harrison suspended.

WAKE UP EVERYBODY....THE NFL WON'T STOP THIS BEHAVIOR UNLESS THE FANS DEMAND IT!!!!

Did you see the pass interference against the Rams on Cincy's Green?? The defender wasn't within three yards of Green. Green tripped over his own 2 feet and a PI was called on the Rams

What the H is going on????????????????????????????????????????????

5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    It's also too loose to be consistent in deciding whether to flag this hit or that... which leads to calls and non-calls that can alter games. Now, a paranoid man might even think this was by design...

Again, I think this hit WAS a beautiful, completely legal hit. But if the NFL wants to split hairs, so can I.

(And if anyone truly believes Harrison especially, and our team in general wouldn't get flagged and/or fined for that hit... you're naive.)

6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was actually looking for a flag when he led with his helmet but I loved who he was hitting.Surprisingly,lil marcia brady jumped right back up?!

7. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    O.K. I'm going to disagree on this one. Maybe he led with his head some, but he hit him in the chest. No way he gets fined for it. I'm not saying there isn't a bias against Harrison/Steelers hits, but this probably isn't the best case to show it.

8. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly! Harrison left his guy unconscious. It's not even close.

9. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    yep probably not the best case but very good try

10. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I generally think that people are full of it when they say that the Steelers are unfairly targeted, but sometimes I do begin to wonder. I watched the Bungles/Rams yesterday and there was at least two instances where Clemons was hit late or directly head to head and of wasn't called. I have come to the realization that the NFL wants the game to be played a certain way, and players have to adapt to it. What I don't like is there seems to be absolutely no parity when it comes to calling these hits and fines. If its illegal, I'm okay with it (in context anyway, not that I agree). But they should call these hits across the league the same way, not pick and choose.

11. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This hit was much more questionable than the hit JH put on Fitzpatrick last season (which was flagged, took away an INT I think, and then fined to put on this habitual offender BS list).

12. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If James Harrison makes that exact same hit (especially against that player) he would automatically be flagged for roughing and fined and possibly ejected and most likely suspended.

He is such a targeted player in the NFL right now that the any ref would certainly be reaching for his flag the second he started to lead with his helmet.

That being said. I agree with all that say there is not a set standard of rules right now for the NFL.

I saw so much H2H contact by running backs yesterday that could have casued serious neck injuries or concussions that I lost count. Why is it acceptable for a running back to use his helmet in H2H contact but not a defensive player?

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That was a solid football hit. It's a shame it's turning into a questionable NFL hit. They need to just quit toying around and get a pink flag hanging on each hip of the QB. Once it's pulled the play is dead.
    James Harrison didn't like the hypocrisy either~ https://twitter.com/#!/jharrison9292/st ... 6153016321

14. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It was a sweet hit!

I do think Harrison would have been flagged (another Steeler doesn't get flagged, but I would put money down that Harrison would)

I saw several cases today where the QB was running and defenders pulled up from hitting them... thank you NFL for putting a glass case around the QB!

15. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    I can't get twitter from work. What did he say?

16. harristotle

Oct 17, 2011
    I love Harrison, but the dude needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. :frustrated:

:godell:

17. harristotle

Oct 17, 2011
    "Kill it! That's a part of the helmet in the chest, the same thing I got fined for against buffalo last year!"

18. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I'm with you. The "technique" was the same. But Dumervil was fortunate in that Brady is about 2-3 inches taller than Colt McCoy.

19. 6stinkyfingers

6stinkyfingers Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Did Dumervil ever say that he wouldn't piss on the gay NFL commissioner if he was on fire? Harrison should simply not speak. Also, the impacts (comparing Harrison's hit) weren't even close-his helmet was in his chest while Harrison's was in the chin. Unfortunately, I think Harrison's hit would have been fine (no pun intended) if he kept his head up instead of lowering it at impact

20. Guest

Guest Guest

I thought that was a solid, clean hit. He put his face in Brady's midsection and took him to the ground on the side - not with his full weight. If Harrison hit McCoy like that he'd be playing tonight.

21. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :this!:

22. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    And - McCoy would have been playing yesterday. :D

23. traceman

traceman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Whi is it some of you keep comparing to the hit on McCoy? The comparison is to the hit on Fitzpatrick last year, which was flagged immediately, and a fine was handed down.

24. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011