1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Duck’s Development

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TheWay, Dec 9, 2019.

1. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    I disagree blast. Even before Masons knock out he was getting recievers killed with his inaccurate passes and ball placement. He had ok numbers but his recievers bailed him out on some poorly thrown passes,

2. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I’m with you when you say Duck has that “IT” factor and just seems like he is always in control and is starting to look more and more confident calling and changing plays at the line of scrimmage. I can’t wait to see him in this game Sunday night against the Bills in prime time with so much at stake. I expect him and this Steelers defense once again to carry the load and step up big and be the difference in winning this huge 2-3 swing game as far as playoff positioning is concerned with the Bills.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe that if Duck can keep from getting in his own head and with some help from the person we call "OC", I think Duck will surprise people by the end of the season. Please don't read too much into that, I'm not saying he will be the second coming of Dan Marino!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Why not? I'm not saying that he should be in the HoF (currently), but why couldn't he actually make it as a bonafide starting qb in the nfl?

We all can list a dozen busts. So why can't it work the opposite way? What is it about him that actually makes it so he can't succeed as a starter long term? I just don't see it. I don't remember anyone thinking Mahomes was going to do anywhere near what he has done. No one at the beginning of the season could say that Lamar Jackson was going to make the Michael Vick experience pale in comparison.

I'm not saying that Duck is transcendent like those two. I'm just saying that he just might be far more capable than anyone is giving him credit for.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    With experience, I think Duck has the tangibles to become a top NFL QB. Right now, he reminds me of a very young Drew Brees.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think he looks anything like Mason pre-injury. Duck has made multiple throws the past couple of weeks that Mason has not made at the NFL level, even when he was playing well. That TD pass to DJ is not in Mason’s repertoire. Neither is the escape and pass to DJ near the 2 minute warning. Mason managed games with short passes and enough good deep shots to keep the defenses honest. Mason has not shown that he can throw the intermediate and short out passes with enough zip and accuracy. In particular, he has thrown behind the receivers consistently on passes in the 10 - 20 yard range, and making those throws accurately is critical for being a long-term NFL starter. Duck has that.

I’ll put it this way - when Mason was playing well, I felt like he was managing games very effectively. However, when we got into 3rd and long, I felt like the drive was over. Now I see 3rd and long and I feel like we have a chance at a big conversion.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Wow! I’m a bit more reserved on Duck’s potential, but I like that thought. Provides some holiday cheer.

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    His style is similar to younger Brees. Can make clutch throws on 3rd down and scramble when needed.

9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm singing his praises right now, but I'm with you on the reservation. I'm not going to project anything. I'm just looking at what he has done, and with the supporting cast he has done it with.

If he had last year's OL and AB? He would have thrown for over 3000 yards without breaking a sweat. I honestly believe that.

10. TheWay

TheWay Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    I don't know that the O-line has been that poor in pass protection. They've struggled against the run, but watch how much opposing defences load the box in running downs. Duck seems to get a little jittery in the face of pressure. He was trying to step up into the pocket more this week but still obviously struggles to see the field.

I agree it would help having an AB type player to take the top off the defence. I just don't think fans are giving enough credit to how predictable this offence is and the challenge that poses to the young Qb(s). For this offence to have any significant success they have to open up the field more than they have been.

11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I wasn't really thinking what if Duck had that this year. I was simply swapping Duck for Ben on last year's team. You know, the team with the OL that made it possible for the same cast of characters to run the ball? I think Duck is at the very least top 10 in the league last year with last year's supporting cast.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, totally disagree with you guys on Hodges. His offensive output is almost identical to Rudolph, they both struggle moving the offense. After Rudolphs injury I completely agree but before, I don't see much difference. Hodges is more accurate, I'll give you that but I'm not sitting there during a game saying, yeah, I'm totally comfortable now. He has a lot of improving to do before he's a legit NFL QB. In his defense, he only has 4 games under his belt and the game doesn't seem too big for him.

I'm very concerned about him going up against Buffalo. This could be ugly.

13. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    If you compare Duck’s first 3 starts to Ben’s first 3 starts...numbers are very similar. And I’d argue Ben had a better offense and the numbers support that he had a better running game. D rankings are pretty similar from that year. I’m not saying Duck is the next franchise QB. But he’s not done anything to this point that suggests he’s not capable of it. One play that made me pause from the Cards game. Last drive 3rd down...he read the D, changed the play at the line, felt pressure, stepped up rolled to his left, kept his eyes down field and made an off schedule play hitting Johnson for (I think it was 14 yards) a first. That is a big time play off schedule in a pressure situation. You hope franchise QBs make that play...not a UDFA. And he’s doing it with first year and practice squad players. Granted I want to see more. He showed he had more arm than I thought in the last game. I don’t want to jump the gun but I see a lot of Brees in his game (far stretch) but I recall watching Brees with the chargers and I think he had a lot of similar perceived limitations...hence trading him after an injury to the saints. I think his floor is Chad Pennington with a better arm. Which makes him a starting caliber QB capable of winning a lot of games if he has a decent supporting cast. I think his ceiling is Brees.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Maybe Duck is going to the HOF, maybe he'll be a great QB, I doubt it very, very much, but I'll accept that it is 'possible'

But one thing that is almost a guarantee, young starting QBs with a few games under their belts inevitably have an horrible game,even ones with far more natural talent, skills and pedigree than Duck. Teams have film on him, he's had an unexpected taste of fame. Gravity grounds the high fliers.

Duck will have an ugly game, maybe not next week or the week after. But it will happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    And Brees really didn't hit his stride until after his injury!

16. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's what the O-line was saying when he came in for Mason. First play he changes the protection and audibles! I can't remember who they quoted saying that though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Seriously though, you look for signs that the game is not to big for these young guys and for those few moments that pop out.

His throws, even when off, have been less likely to get his receivers killed, and are easier for the receivers to adjust to. He's had several "WoW" moments that pop out and say this kid has got something.

Couple that with the visible improvement on things game to game (Like stepping up into the pocket this last game after not doing it the game before) makes me view him as a keeper.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    A prediction: Duck love will never be bigger than it is right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think he has already done did this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I

They win a playoff game with him...it's going to explode!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Nice analogy. Think you nailed it. :thumbs_up:

Every qb has had ugly games. There's not a HoF'er enshrined in Canton that hasnt had multiple ugly games. If you don't make mistakes, you're not playing the game. What is important is how you respond to that ugly game. ;)

I'm more concerned with him playing football than World of Warcraft. What he does in his offtime is irrelevant. :aikido:

22. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Who schedules a 40th birthday party over top of a Steelers game, and doesn't at least have it on during the party? :club:

I didn't read any further than that. I can't get past it. :nono:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Dionte Johnson could possibly take this role.. He is young but showing amazing potential

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Thing is Duck can move. Mason could not. This to me is invaluable. He gets yards with his feet which Ben nor Mason was doing. The only prospect that could do it better was Dobbs

25. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steel_ben7.

Duck does seem to be a "cooler cucumber" than Mason. By no means am I writing Mason off. I have been one of his biggest advocates here. Maybe he just needs to look at the position from a different vantage point for now, the sideline (not trying to be funny). I did not look up Duck's college stats but it is my understanding that he lead the nation in many passing statistics at the Division 3 level. Some will argue just that D-3. I say so what. We can only go off of the body of work that he has accomplished at the college level and what he has done so far at the Pro level.

If he was really good at D-3, that counts for something IMO. So far, at the NFL level he is doing what we need him to do. The coaches will put more on his plate as they continuously evaluate him. He just has to remain cool (IT Factor) and not make any silly mistakes. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid