1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dual QB's

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel machine, Aug 26, 2024.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Lost the article but a few talking head's are predicting Mr. Tomlin is going to utilize a two QB system. Guy made some interesting points how it would work and if I'm being honest I liked it. It's all theory of course. Guy is predicting that is what Mike will say at weeks end.

Has to be downside to it but what I read was all positive. Sorry I lost damn thing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We'd be crazy to not have some packages for Fields. He's electric and we can do a lot with his legs. We just can't overuse it. Maybe bring Fields in for some different looks in the redzone, or if we go stagnant give him a series. Wilson needs to remain the solid QB 1 in this scenario, but I don't think having a package for Fields and giving him snaps/a series in certain circumstances is bad/wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Just need to make sure we don’t electrocute ourselves.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    It's possible they get teams thinking Fields is only coming in to run the ball or an RPO of some kind. Hopefully it draws the safeties closer to the line of scrimmage, give him one read to worry about and chuck it deep. He's got the arm for it and if the safety doesn't bite, take off and run.

5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It's one thing to have an elite athlete or person with particular skill set and create some packages, thinking of Slash and more recently the guy for the Saints. That said, I cannot remember a time when a 2 QB system worked in the NFL (and it has been tried). The rhythm, cadence, style, everything needs to change in a moment's notice. Alos to 'go with the hot hand' can divide locker rooms quickly.

Make the choice and stick with it, if it is Wilson and he is stinking up the joint and you make the change, then make the change and make it 'permanent', (as in it's yours to lose). This is not back yard or even college football, you need to establish the flow of the O, and that comes with the team developing and having confidence in the field general.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You make a good point but I can see Mike taking some chances with the idea.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I always liked how Tom Landry declared (to the end) that alternating two QBs in a game was the best system. Even though the one time he tried it with Staubach and Morton it went horribly.

8. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    2 different QB's entirely. Morton was a good QB in his day. Was in 2 Sb's with 2 different teams, but had Landry just went with Staubach he may have had better success.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Fields will be used in some capacity, not sure if Russ plays
    Above the line that fields will get much playing time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Sounds to me like he feels he was handed lemons and therefore needs to make lemonade. 2 QB systems rarely work in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with this. Even in lower level football it messes with the chemistry. You got a trick play here , and there....that's one thing, but otherwise....pick one , and stick to it.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I remember this,,but did he really declare this to the end??? Serious question....because I can't remember.

13. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, agreed. it wasn’t meant as a comparison to our situation in particular, more amused at Landry in favour of a system that nearly broke his season.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Not sure he declared it on his death bed exactly but he has defended it since. See here at about 2.35:

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thank You :thumbs_up:

16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    When the QB competition was between T'Zak, Slash, and I believe Jim Miller, at the beginning of the season Cowher announced T'Zak would be starter and Slash would do his thing. In an interview later T'Zak was frustrated saying I lead the team to the 10 yard line and someone else takes over. Now he was not great be any means, but that statement is felt throughout the locker room. When Slash first came into the league and took a role as WR because of injury, it was obvious you had to find a way to use him. If Fields had shown the same thing in different situations then you might say the same thing, difference is he has been starting QB for 3 years. He can be a gadget guy, but gadgets can be schemed for over time and it loses its effectiveness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I agree with John Madden. "If you've got 2 quarterbacks, you have none"

• Agree Agree x 2