1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dri Archer going to be cut.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by troybellringer55, Sep 21, 2015.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Write it down.

When Bell returns this week.

This will end the Dri Archer era in Pittsburgh

I think you can see the writing on the wall, when Jordan Todman, got the ball late, and they didn't even run Archer.

2. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I hope you are right. It's long overdue.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Perhaps. It seems like the most logical choice, but this coaching staff has such a love affair with him I wouldn't be surprised if they cut Lyons.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Either play the man or cut him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He adds nothing to this team. Time to pull the plug...

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    He looks really good standing in the end zone on kick offs.

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    IF, and it's a GARGANTUAN if, the new kickoff rules weren't such as they are MAYBE, and it's a TITANIC maybe, Archer would be able to have some effect on the kicking game. BUT the rules are what they are and there's no sense in having a guy there to just watch kicks sail over his head. I still think he can't really be an effective returner because he always goes down on first contact.

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He should be cut, I think Todman is a better version of that type of RB , he has better vision and better balance so it really should be a easy choice ...The Team can actually use Todman as a RB , Archer needs 2 or 3 seasons of all strength training the wind from the snap of the ball throws him off balance ...

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Since we're on the subject of cuts how long do you think Scobee makes it?

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I've been iffy on Archer since we drafted him because he's not the type of player who can succeed at his size in the NFL. He has great straight line speed, but he is only as elusive and shifty as a typical 220 lb back. Also, he has shown no ability to catch any pass other than screens and slants. He was awful tracking deeper passes in college. My faint hope was that he could learn and develop elusiveness and/or pass catching ability, but it's not looking good. I would absolutely keep Todman over him.

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I remember last year when I said we had a 3 headed monster in Bell Harris and Archer... looking back now, I think I need some help lol.

Bell, Williams and Todman though...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    We have too many better options on offense than Archer. I'd rather put the ball in the hands of any of our receivers, Miller, or Bell/Williams before Archer. It's never going to change either. He goes down on first contact and doesn't make anybody miss. Simple as that.

13. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    That's the most damning trait. A dude like that needs to make people miss. He doesn't. He has zero wiggle, and unless the path is clear he is done. It was a legit experiment, but it's time to go with the football player (Todman) over the track star.

14. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Should have been cut at halftime ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Have I missed something with Todman? One run for 11 yards isn't a huge body of work to go off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Well he is proven as a legit 3rd string RB as Archer is not. I was all for Archer but with pads he isn't that fast, he cant move and he stumbles sometimes without even being touched. He also muffs a lot of balls. There is NOTHING for him here. Sorry Archer if you are reading this, I wish ya the best of luck lol

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, hes not Archer :lolol:

Lot of dislike for that little man.

18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Honestly, with the much better than expected performances by Deangelo Williams.... as long as Bell & Williams stay healthy.... I would be surprised if ANY other RB ever saw the field.

19. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yes... we need a garbage time RB to run while we are up by 3 scores :D

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I understand your principal but disagree with the garbage part. If we are up by 3 scores, aren't we better to eat up the clock with Bell and Hall?

21. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    He's still here?

22. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think Lyons or Walton are going to get the axe. To me they aren't going to cut anyone who has gotten a helmet on gameday and nor should they. Some suggestions have been to cut Nix but I believe he has been the lead blocker on 5 TD runs so far on the goaline. To me he is you prototypical FB who just loves to open up holes and bash people on the goaline. With the emphasis on red zone scoring I think he stays for that reason only and he has 2 special teams tackles also.

23. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think Williams will be unhappy when he gets less work as Bell returns. He will want to be the starter elsewhere after the season is over.

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I probably would cut Archer too. Bell, Williams, and Todman is a good backfield. No reason to keep him around IMO.

I'm not gonna pile a bunch of hate on the guy tho. Our offense just took a different turn than expected and he was the odd man out. When we drafted him two years ago we were coming off of a mediocre offensive year under a new OC. We couldn't run really well and a guy like Dri could've been useful to help spark things and be a game breaker. Then all of the sudden Bell broke out and Bryant made his presence felt too. Now we have a multitude of weapons and no reason to put a guy like Dri on the field. We don't need specialty players to score points. We just line up and execute and the scoreboard lights up.

I would cut him and wouldn't for a second question the pick. It didn't work out, but our offense is better for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I think you are way off. He said when he came here it was Bells team and if the Steelers wanted him to hand out water he would be the best waterboy he could be. He also tweeted this morning that he is Bells #1 fan. This isn't Blount we are talking about here. He never complained once while in NC and sorry Stewart is no Bell. He signed a 2 year deal knowing Bell is our Bell cow back. Williams is a stand up dude.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1