1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Drama in Baltimore!

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 16, 2023.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Question: Doesn't Lamar have to sign his franchise Tag to be traded?

If he signs his Tag for the $32 million, then the Ravens can trade him away for anything they can get correct?

If he doesn't sign his Tag then it is 2 1st round picks and a contract that the Ravens will not match?

I still think the Jets should jump all over this, just to get away from the whole Aaron Rodgers thing. They should also bring in Greg Roman to build the offense around Lamar.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He hasn't been put in a position to do it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats not at all what I was talking about. He’s acting like he can’t support his family on a 133 million dollars.

He can just say I feel I deserve more and not pretend his family is going to starve.

Also, you need to realize he works for these billionaires, they are the boss, since when do employees make as much as the business owner. Not how it works.

4. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    When the employee is a large part of why people come support the product then yes. People don't come to the games to watch Steve Buschatti.

And smh he's trying to maximize his earnings. Never said he couldn't support his family on 133 mil

5. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Latrell Jackson
    Lamar Spreewell

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Have you not been paying attention

He’s been exactly in the position to do what he can based on what he agreed to when decided to work for the NFL

He has the right to go work anywhere else MLB for example if he wants to

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If Lamar does not play next year the NFL will not loose a nickel

He’s just not that important

He should be thankful for the opportunity the owners have allowed him

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    People wouldnt come to the games at all without the owners providing teams. There will always be people lining up to play for them.

If players don’t like the pay structure, start their own league. See how that works out for them.

And he did so say he is looking out for his family, as if they wouldn’t be set on what the Ravens offered him.

As I already stated, just say you feel like you deserve more, crying you can’t provide for your family on 133 million is not going to win you much support.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He has to sign the tag in order to be traded. He'd would have already had talks with the trading team to determine future compensation. I mean there's a chance he couldn't have and the Ravens just do him dirty and get him to sign that tag and trad him to a team that he doesn't want...THAT WOULD BE HILARIOUS!

10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny, Do you think he knows that the Ravens Can't trade him until he signs the Tag offer? He is claiming he asked to be traded on like March 3rd???

If he signs his tag Baltimore could trade him away for a 7th round pick and not having any dead cap space.

Also, with him not signing his Tag, it will make it impossible for the Ravens to trade Lamar on draft day. I don't think the NFL would allow a team to trade a player for draft picks that the team did not actually own the right too.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He knows, he just let the team know so they can start fielding calls. Takes that collusion off the board doesn't it? Why would you negotiate a big deal and have to give up 2 first rounders, when you could negotiate a trade for less and extend him after that?

I mean why even consider going that route? The Ravens know they're not getting 2 first rounders for him in the RFA scenario. That's just handing them even more draft picks because they would definitely get High round comp picks for losing him on top of it! They want 2, but it's clear no-one wants to give 2 outright. I'm guessing teams might be trying to squeak out 1 and a swap or vice-versa.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Will you still be a Ravens fan if Lamar gets traded :rolleyes:?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He's saying he's looking out for them by trying to get the most money possible.

Look at Tampa Bay for example. Let's see how many prime time games they have without Tom brady next yr and if they bring in the same revenue they brought in without him.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They have only been in the NFL since 1996, and Have won 2 SBs....that's 26 years, and 5 of those years with Lamar Jackson ....one whole playoff win with Him. LoL.
    Believe Me ....people will be watching thr Ravens after Lamar is retired .
    Everyone that said I didn't know what I was talking about years ago about Lamar Jackson....should say I'm sorry. LoL

16. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011

Everyone's getting all excited because the Colts and the Pats are reportedly interested and acting like this is some big victory for Lamar. But it's all going to boil down to will he accept something with far less guarantees than DeShaun Watson, because NO ONE will give him that much. Of course teams are going to be interested, but when they find out that his demands are too much and he's not willing to compromise, they'll be out

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Lamar doesn’t have to put billions of dollars at risk to allow the organization and the league to exist. Any professional sports league exists because there are people with money that’s being put at risk to make it work, just like any other business that people invest in. But…. That’s not even the reason for the current situation. The owner isn’t saying “I don’t want to pay money to Lamar because I want to profit more.” The Ravens are going to spend right up to the cap like most teams do. This is about the team having a limit to what they will pay Lamar and still feel like they can build a winning team. They look at what a stupid Browns front office did, and are saying “losers gonna lose.”

• Winner Winner x 4
  18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Mason Rudolph has had the same amount of offers as Lamar Jackson. Zero.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. UKSheffieldSteeler

UKSheffieldSteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Loving this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I can only go by what was said on the radio, to tired to look it up. The Ravens had several options on certain dates, exclusive franchise tag, Non exclusive (which they excercised), transition tag, or let him walk. On the 2nd they could not have traded him, the franchise tags need signed before they can do anything. The option he is under is I believe nonnegotiable, if he gets an offer from another team, the Ravens can match it..or decline and get 2 1st rounders. Cowherd today said something like the Pats trade their Qb and a 1st, but that is now how the CBA is structured. There might be ways around it, but as I read it the 2 firsts are written in the CBA. I really do not know if it is written tht you can trade an exclusive tagged player. it is talked about, but not sure how that works. A player could just refuse to show up at the new place and the deal would be moot as the exclusive tag is used to work out a deal between the team and player, the player cannot talk with the other team without permission...blah blah.

Lamar supposedly wrote that letter, but the Ravens had no right to explore a trade at that time, he can now contact any team and work out a deal...how is that going lamar???

• Like Like x 1
  21. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I just read where the 2 first rounders are obligated as part of the CBA, so there is no middle ground. If they lift the unsigned tag he is a FA, os he either signs it and works out a deal with another team..ravens dont match and get two 1st rounders, or he does not sign and sits out the year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's what I was saying. The Ravens probably want 2 first rounders in a trade deal as well, but he has to sign the tag for the trade to happen.

Also, teams are probably working on a different compensation like a pick swap and 1 first, that's the only way I see them pulling a trade off. No one wants to give 2 firsts, but a swap means you still have a pick. He can go ahead and sit out a year though if, he wants. That doesn't seem to help much in negotiations.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just my opinion, I am not sure why Tennessee would not want Lamar?
    They like to run the ball, Their QB room is underwhelming why not sign
    Him there, he could tutor Willis .

24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    There are about 200 million + reasons why. I like TN and hope that booger doesn't get wiped on them.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is time to get on with his life's work.