1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

DraftWire 7 Round Steelers Mock

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TheMatrixHasYou, Apr 1, 2018.

1. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Heck yes to round one.

Heck no to round two.

Steal at three.

Good pickup options in the fifth round.

Like the first pick of the seventh. Loathe the second.

Overall. Solid mock. I would trade Terrell Edmunds over Marcus Allen in a heartbeat.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No thanks to that draft, the first pick would be good there are much better safeties than Allen to be had in the 2nd.

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    1st S Jessie Bates
    2nd OLB Lorenzo Carter
    3rd ILB Genard Avery
    5th RB Kallen Ballage
    5th WR Allen Lazard
    7th ILB Oren Burks
    7th OT David Bright

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe switch 1 and 2. Not sure Burks last until until the 7 the either, but that wouldn't be bad. :cool:

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I'd switch one and two. Love both picks though.

Oren Burks would not be there in the 7th. His Pro Day performance jumped him into early fourth round selection; his combine no less.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Bates won't be there at #60, safety is more a need than OLB.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Perhaps so. Safety is more of a need than Outside Linebacker but outside of Bud's fifth year option there are other reasons as two why I would switch both.

With the Morgan Burnett signing, we have more flexibility now than we previously did. Furthermore, I would also not leave out Terrell Edmunds in round two as both Colbert and Tomlin were at the Virgina Tech Pro Day. Keep in mind Tomlin's tendencies towards safeties tend to be fast and explosive; both of which Terrell provides.

As for Lorenzo Carter in Round One, while it is unlikely to happen as we speak currently, both Evans and Vander Esch will likely be within the Top 25. Barring something that has not happened since 2013 in which Jarvis Jones was selected that Pittsburgh nabs a First Round pick without either Colbert/Tomlin seeing their Pro Day like Justin Reid.

Now, that being said, Jessie Bates III received the full treatment of both Colbert and Tomlin at the Wake Forest pro day. That alone could make him possibly worth selecting in Round One but all options are likely exhausted by then.

Within the same token, there still has not been any official word to pick up Bud's fifth year option. While Kevin has been on record to state we have not seen the best of Dupree, not picking up the fifth year option with the draft closing in fast is not a good sign either.

In short? Realistically, both Bates III and Carter are likely in play for Round One unless the Steelers bring the house tomorrow for Boise State's Pro Day aa that will be all the information we need if the Steelers are truly interested in Vander Esch. If not, back to those two.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I like Bates because I heard some scouts say he can play that single high safety role.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As do I.

The league is changing into more of a track meet with some teams using overglorified "Air Raid" offenses. Pittsburgh need an "Anti-Air Defense" safety with ball tracking skills and range.

While he did showcase a 4.5 at the combine and you generally want your Free Safety to be in the 4.4s because they cover more ground in the Cover 2 than the 4.5s do, Bates has the ball tracking and instincts to make up for those deficiencies.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Bates
    Edmund's
    Flowers
    Reid
    Harrison
    Brown - with a position switch
    Hopefully igwebuike is in play
    Brian Allen already here
    Davis already here
    Burnett signed for three years
    All these guys are in play at safety. I'm not sure we spend a 1st on a backup. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Middle line backer is still not a high priority. The chances of 4 MLBs being picked before #28 is low, especially with up to 6 qbs being picked before us. Every mock draft has one WR, one CB, and one or two OLBs picked before #28. I can pretty much guarentee that those positions will be overdrafted before 4 MLBs get picked.

13. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I tend to agree. I think one of Evans or LVE will be there when we pick, assuming we want them. That is the ultimate question. You hear about guys like Reid being first round talent by some people and not by others. The draft is still very much in flux and we are going to get a player and fill a hole.

I will make one prediction....if we draft an ILB, that ILB will be starting before the end of the year. They guy who will go back on the bench....Vince Williams, not Bostic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We need that pass defense from that spot but also more run stopping ability too. Can we get that from Evans? Not so sure. That is my biggest draw back of him. Can bostic? Not sure. I'd sure like to see more speed added than either of LVE or Evans. I think that will be essential to us making the transition smoother. Bostic should help against the run. I do agree Vince will be back as the reserve for at least one of the slots by years end. IF. :cool:

15. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    When it comes to adding speed at ILB, I would be hard pressed to not draft Malik Jefferson from TX if that is the case. The problems with him though are documented. He has his flaws, but I do think we need to stop drafting guys who can be starters and start drafting guys who have a skill we can use to create matchup issues. Now, I know that may sound silly to some, but NE does it very well. They take guys who have a skill set and use that to the fullest. Yes they have flaws, but if they can do X, Y or Z, we'll just use that skill whenever. They do it on offense and on defense.

16. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Didn't LVE gain 15-20 lbs for the combine? Came in at 256 lbs and ran a 4.5 but played the season at 235-240 lbs I think. He may be even faster than he timed at the combine.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he ran a 4.65 at the combine. :cool:

18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Right, pardon my mild dyslexia lol. Still he may be even faster at 240 lbs was what I was getting at.

If Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James are both gone at safety and Roquan Smith and the Edmunds kid are both gone at ILB, I think LVE has to be the pick doesn't he? I've got a bad feeling about Evans and Harrison is more of a box safety.

Who knows? I have a feeling this draft is gonna surprise me.

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They have The Evil Genius ,we don't. No one obsesses over the game of football more than him. He will always get more out of less better than anyone. I feel that we run a system and try to plug players in that fit that and I don't see that changing any time soon. I've lost a bit of faith in our coaching staff in identifying weaknesses and addressing them in a timely manner(Mitchell) is a prime example. I'm really hoping our new coaching additions are major upgrades....I have a good feeling about them because they seem to be about fundamentals and technique.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    The pats are a team that like Carter a lot. Must be something about him that's good. :cool:

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Never said there wasn't and I also didn't go around making up facts to try and disparage Evans either. I don't really care if he's the pick but at the same time ,even if I did have a bias against him...I still wouldn't make things up to support my argument....it's tough to have a honest discussion without the facts....
    If Carter is the pick great. I hope he is All-pro for the next 10 years. I don't have a agenda against him. I'm not sure you would feel the same about Evans...This all started off with opinions on players and who we like and don't like. We are both entitled to our own opinions but we're not entitled to our own facts....

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    What are these facts I'm making up? :cool:

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You said that you see Alabamas DBs making too many tackles and that Evans wasn't and wouldn't be a good tackler at the next level. When in fact he was tied on the team with tackles I think that was a attempt to criticize him and it wasn't true You mocked his PDs when he had 5x as many as Carter while according to your words "not starting" for 2 years....you also mentioned in another post regarding LVE that the SEC was having problems with guys making it in the league. When in fact they have more players in the NFL than any conference. If your gonna ridicule a guys stats at least get them right and if your gonna compare them to others you need to compare them to the guy(s) you like as well. If not it comes across as cherry picking and inaccurate. I'm not sure if it's the SEC you don't care for or Alabama themselves. I just don't understand that if you did the research on Evans and read all the scouting reports, watched film and video breakdowns that are out there you don't come away with at least a healthy respect for his ability. You make him out to be a bum who lacks any kind of athletic ability. Actually watch the tape and tell me that's what you see because you would be alone in that thought. Scouts are describing him as ...in the mold of today's new age LBs. I would recommend another look with a more open mind..... already know...not happening,your mind is made up already.

Like I said Mac I don't really care who we pick as long as we get it right. There a reason why he is highly regarded....is he the next Ray Lewis no but the guy has done nothing but perform at a high level at the highest level of CFB. That has to count for something. I'm not saying your not entitled to your opinion....just try to be fair. I come here to have fun ,hopefully learn a few things and maybe even share some knowledge I have. I respect the hell out of your football IQ and appreciate the knowledge you bring to this forum. We may not always agree but that's what makes all these conversations between the members fun. This place wouldn't exist if we were always right and on the same page. There would be nothing to discuss....
    Like I said I know you know your ****.....bring your knowledge to the discussion. You don't like what you see from Evans or anybody else for that matter.....it's all good. When you are gonna try and breakdown why you don't like a player though bring the facts and a fair perspective....other wise it's throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks.....

24. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Wait. Are we talking Lorenzo Carter? Yuck. I think he will do great for the Pats as they will find a skill of his that he excels at and then just use him to do that all the time, but for us, I don't think he is a fit. I just don't.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Waiting.

wow now whos making things up. that is not what i said at all so quit putting your twisted version of what i said out there as a lie. was he tied with harrison for the team lead? yes. harrison is a DB right? again yes. i have read many teams concerned that the DB's and d-linemen made alot more of the tackles that a LB should be making. overall. see where im going with this? its not just my biased opinion as you say and no im not making facts up. if you look at the two LB'ers carter had more tackles. the rest of the stats are very similar in numbers. you will have to show me where i said SEC guys are having a hard time making it in the league. :cool: