1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Drafting a WR in the 2nd/3rd round?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelerNDC, Mar 26, 2012.

1. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Ok, I know WR isnt one of our needs yet but if Wallace leaves next year, it will be and WRs normally take a year to learn the position. We could only have Brown and Sanders so I think we will take a WR sometime, though a 2nd might be early based on other needs (ILB, CB, NT, OL).

One thing I don't understand is why Ryan Broyles isnt a top tier WR. Most sites have him listed anywhere from 6th to 13th best in the WR class. Ryan has the most catches in all of CFB history and when he went down last year, the Sooners offense sucked terribly. He made the offense, the offense didn't make him. Now Kendell Wright is seen as a sure fire 1st rounder, yet in the same conference, Ryan was better, caught more balls, and wasn't just a slot guy but a guy who would line up everywhere. Also, while the two are the same size, Wright ran a 4.6 and Broyles ran a 4.5.

His only negatives is that he is short (5'10") and has some injury issues (broken collarbone and torn ACL) but I mean, even with those injuries, he still holds the most catches in CFB history by 33 catches!

I think he will make a great #2 or #3 WR for us in the near term.

http://www.nfldraftgeek.com/ryanbroyles.html

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I have trouble with taking a WR when we don't really need one too early. Wallace isn't going anywhere (IMHO) this year, so taking a 2nd or 3rd rounder for someone who will only be our #4 receiver when we have so many other needs doesn't make sense. I'd be willing to take a chance in the 4th or 5th on him, as long as ILB, NT, and OL are taken care of first.

3. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    WR is one of the hardest positions to learn post college, (CB and S too). Grabbing a WR when you need one is a bad idea. I just think Broyles in the 2nd/3rd represents too much of a value to pass, even if we pass on some other needs.

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    There WILL be value at positions of need in the 2nd and 3rd. Even without Wallace, WR will not be a big need. It won't be as good as with him, not by a mile. But it will still be near the bottom of the pile.

5. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Having a good QB makes it easy to find WR's. Ever notice before Ben how hard it was to find good ones. Then when Ben came around they all got better. Now the WR scout is fishing in a stocked pond..... use a 4th or 5th and bring in a nice big bodied possession type.

6. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We had some good receivers in the past years when we had terrible QBs. Lipps and Tigpen stand out to me, Hines, Plaxico, even CJ was a good receiver.

7. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

Qb's drive WR's.....

Welker in Miami or Welker in NE with Brady? Or Wes Welker in NE with Cassell? (Brady makes him a 9 million dollar WR?)
    Harper in Dallas or Harper in TB? (Aikman or Dilfer)
    Marshall with Cutler or after Cutler? (look at same Miami guy in Pro Bowl with great QB's and was unstoppable)
    Steve Smith with Claussen and Moore or Cam?
    Washington have any WR's worth anything in last 10 years?
    Branch in NE? Branch to Seattle? Branch back to NE?
    Housmanzada with healthy Palmer? Him in Seattle or Baltimore?

Name all the WR's that Brady won Super Bowls with....

Granted top talented WR's will get their stats, bad or old WR's will not no matter who is throwing the ball.

Being successful as a WR in the NFL has become easier than it ever was with the evolution of offense and rule changes. - Everyone of the WR's on this list were not 1st round picks (wll Alvin Harper is only one that im not 100% sure about) coming out of college.

Each one of them has put up huge numbers at one point and the only given is that they all did it with great QB's.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Isn't it amazing how a good QB can make wide receivers look good?
    There are not to many Larry Fitzgeralds out there folks. Even less Ben R.