1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft traditions/plans?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by GB_Steel, Apr 16, 2012.

1. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Just a little over nine days to go until the Colts are on, and quickly off, the clock. I'm interested in hearing what everyone's plans are for the draft.

Me? I'm taking a half day on Thursday (would normally take the whole day off but I have a meeting Thursday AM :frustrated: ), and will be taking all of Friday off. I watch every pick live and track each pick by marking off the names on a cheat sheet provided by the PFW Draft Guide (the small book, not the large magazine).

I typically stock up on brew and junk food, as it's my one weekend each year that I really let myself go. I'm still debating whether to go the traditional MGD bottles, or change it up to Beck's (craving German-style pils), Bud cans, or a few large bottles of Arrogant Bastard. Since my goal is bulk, I may go with Bud cans (usually never touch the American-style pils/lager, at least not since college!) and treat myself to a 6-pack of Beck's Thursday night. I love the local Montana microbrews, but after 2-3 of those I'm usually pretty full, so like usual will focus on the lighter stuff for the draft. Will probably stock up on Jack's frozen pizza, maybe some cheese curds or something, a couple bags of chips, maybe some locally made elk snack sticks, and some diet coke (gotta watch the calories :bs: ). Not serious about the diet coke, but I may pick up a sixer of coca-cola just in case. I tried mixing in some sweetness one year (oatmeal cream pies) but that interfered with my brew, so will be sticking to the sodium overkill of the salty snacks so that my beer consumption doesn't fall behind :drinks:

Should be another good weekend and I'm really looking fwd to it.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    good stuff GB. go for the BUD. 40 years of drinkin the stuff as an official taste tester of it, i think i'll lend my infinate wisdom on the subject. :guiness: :herewego:

i will usually buy some pizza shells and sauce and cheese and sweet peppers, and pepperoni, and mushrooms and bake my own. my way pizza.

chips, maybe a french onion dip.

coke? not a problem, my wifes a coke junkie. it's always here.

OK, everybody leave me alone. small struggle ensues with my 270 lb. 22 year old kid :music: or my 230lb. HS freshman kid :music: until dad's voice gets serious. the get the H--L away from that pizza voice. God ,they're like feeding time at the zoo. :hello:

then i kick back and it's on.

after several picks i'll get on the puter and see who's left and see who we could still get.

usually followed by a nap, ( i'm old and full of beer, pizza and junk food). :shrug: :cool:

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I like to make a broad list of potential Steeler picks, in order of preference, and cross them off as they get picked. Then when it's our turn, I find a witness willing to put up with me and explain that if they pick this guy they will be right and I will be happy, and if they pick any of these guys they will be wrong and I will be sad, and if they pick that guy I am going to throw something at their/my TV, and keep throwing things until it breaks.

The only real tradition I have is being pissed off at the horrible TV coverage. The first round is usually pretty good, with a highlight package for every player. By round 2 it's half the players, and from then on out they just go back to talking about round 1 and only give you any information about one player out of every 6-8. There are still 5 minutes between picks. They couldn't devote one minute to each guy? 30 seconds? No, they're going to talk about Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin some more, in case we missed it. Meanwhile, my team just picked some guy I never even heard of, and they're not telling me anything about him besides his name and school. It's a shame.

Last year I watched NFL Network's draft for the first time, and was ecstatic to see them cover every pick in the 2nd round. I thought they were going to do that for the whole draft. Nope, they turned into ESPN in the 3rd.

4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I usually watch with a buddy and tell him who my "favorite" guy is that's still on the board and he will inevitably be drafted as soon as I say his name out loud, which has caused me to think maybe I should just keep my mouth shut.

I remember I really wanted Alex Mack the year he came out, and my buddy laughed his ass off when he dropped so close to our pick only to go to Cleveland after they traded down like 3 times.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    close in my office all night , (here the firsy round start at 1am) food drink icecream and hot milk , couple of draft links open (cbs espn) and the mboards for comments . i even have a steelers draft phone ( i bought an helmet draft phone 4 years ago ,awesome)
    like this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NARDI-HELMET-PH ... 4ab65120a4

6. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    good stuff GB. go for the BUD. 40 years of drinkin the stuff as an official taste tester of it, i think i'll lend my infinate wisdom on the subject. :guiness: :herewego:

i will usually buy some pizza shells and sauce and cheese and sweet peppers, and pepperoni, and mushrooms and bake my own. my way pizza.

chips, maybe a french onion dip.

coke? not a problem, my wifes a coke junkie. it's always here.

OK, everybody leave me alone. small struggle ensues with my 270 lb. 22 year old kid :music: or my 230lb. HS freshman kid :music: until dad's voice gets serious. the get the H--L away from that pizza voice. God ,they're like feeding time at the zoo. :hello:

then i kick back and it's on.

after several picks i'll get on the puter and see who's left and see who we could still get.

usually followed by a nap, ( i'm old and full of beer, pizza and junk food). :shrug: :cool:[/quote:3gtf1si6]

Very nice! Thanks for sharing, and Bud it will be!

7. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm with you, the coverage could be a heck of a lot better. I think the most annoyed I've been was when Mayock guessed the first 17 picks right, and something like 30 of the first 32 were correct. Thanks Mayock, for taking away all the suspense! I prefer the NFLN coverage as opposed to ESPN, while ESPN has better production, they have way too many talking heads and egos that all have to get a word in. NFLN is more subdued, and Mayock is very knowledgable and tries to keep the commercialization out of it as much as the others allow him.

:herewego: Kick ass phone man! I love it! I remember when I lived in Germany that the draft came on at some weird time, but I still watched the first few rounds (AFN never aired the entire thing).

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ok, change in plans. the wife made a black forest cake. :bowdown: :hehehe: :herewego: :cool:

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I had a similar change of plans, Mac. My first draft beverage was going to be the usual Guinness Stout, but I found a Saranac Black Forest that was hiding down in the crisper. Spooky.
    It must be a sign of a prosperous draft to come. :towel:

10. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    This is not a good sign. According to his Wikipedia page, Mike Adams' nickname is Black Forest. I seriously hope this is all just a coincidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Adams_(offensive_tackle)

"...Adams, known by family as 'Black Forest' since childhood[1], attended Dublin Coffman High School in Dublin, Ohio, where he was an All-State selection as a junior and senior. Regarded as a five-star recruit by Rivals.com, Adams was listed as the No. 1 offensive tackle prospect in the class of 2008."

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I literally spit-laughed a spray on my screen. Love how you added the footnote there. :lolol: :roflmao:

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Everyone can stop worrying about Poe now. :)

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we got the black forest covered with whipped cream ( of the crop). how cool is this? whoda thunk it? :dancing: :cool:

14. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Last night was different. I was watching it on a delay, like an hour behind, and I had to go pick up my girlfriend from the airport. 10 minutes before I had to leave and I was only on pick 14. I knew DeCastro was still around so I thought I'd fast forward until he got picked. "Hmm, he's still there at 15. That's odd. Oh, well. [fast forward] Hmm, he's still there at 16. That's funny. Isn't that funny? Hahaha, boy it's hot in here, isn't it? [fast forward] Well, no way he gets past Cincy, and they won't trade back. It was a good ride while it lasted... [fast forward] Oh my God. Trade up. Trade up. Trade up Trade up Trade up Trade up Trade up Trade up Trade up dammit the pick's in. [fast forward] AHH! Trade up! Trade up! Trade up! [fast forward] AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH TRADE UP YOU MOTHER****ERS! WHY AREN'T YOU LISTENING TO ME?! GIVE THEM THE WHOLE DRAFT, GIVE THEM NEXT YEAR'S DRAFT! GET DECASTRO YOU MORONS!! [fast forward] Oh my god, could we really...? No... Let's just catch up to live TV and see what's going on... [fast forward to live tv, see Detroit's pick is in and DeCastro still available, and I have to leave for the airport right now] Ugh, Detroit. I... will... murder you."

Then I run out to the car, start driving and search AM radio stations frantically to find the draft. "Oh those ****ers are gonna steal him right out from under us I just know it how could they do that to us we never did anything to them who are their guards anyway crap I don't even know so they must suck plus they'll want to protect Stafford but I know they need a tackle everyone has them taking a tackle and Reiff is still there but they probably didn't expect DeCastro to be there and he's better and they’ve been going BPA in recent years and I bet they’re taking him right now I bet he’s holding up that stupid Lions jersey right now God I hope he sucks now who are we supposed to get even if he’s good I’ll hate him after missing DeCastro by one pick this is gonna haunt me for the rest of my life oh wait here it is… AAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA oh sh** I peed….. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA” Then I realized I was going like 60 mph in a 35.

15. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011