1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TarheelFlyer, Dec 12, 2011.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed, I want to keep Cotchery, and I believe the team will do that. In my scenario, Battle is #5 behind Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery, which means he won't see the field unless there's an injury, and even then it's probably only once or twice a game. I'm fine with that. Even with two injuries, the coaches will still have other great options in our RBs (including Batch) and TEs.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like Alabama players they seem more than ready to play at the next level.

I see they have 2 that would fit nicely in black and gold.

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Guys I see back and resulting openings on roster.

Ben, Lefty (2) - If Lefty comes back, QB is less of a need as a draft pick.

Mendenhall, Redman, Dwyer, Batch (4) - Batch pushes Moore out

Miller, Saunders, Johnson (3) - no changes here but the depth chart rearranges some.

Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Ward, Battle (6) - this is not my preference, but I could see it happening. In order to predict needs at this position you really need to know what those last 3 are going to do. Ward retire? Cotchery go away UFA? Battle let walk? Once you know that, you know what kind of need you have.

Starks, Colon, Gilbert, Pouncey, Legursky, C. Scott, Foster (7) - I really think C. Scott makes it next year as depth only.

Keisel, Hood, Heyward, McLendon, Woods (6)
    Sylvester, Foote, Timmons, Harrison, Carter, Woodley, Worilds, Farrior (8)
    Ike, Lewis, Gay, Brown, Allen, Mundy, Clark, Troy P. (8)

Kapinos, Suisham, Warren (3)

Needs:
    3rd string QB
    Potential WR
    2 Olineman - What happens with Colon, Starks and Gilbert sort of determines what position we draft, but it will either be OT and OG or 2 OGs.
    NT - Unless Hampton comes back, which I don't think we can afford, we need a NT
    ILB - Farrior's replacement must come this year. He needs a year of understudy.
    CB - McFadden replacement
    S - Will Allen replacement.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    do you guys think there's the chance that another TE will be brought in? more of the receiver type for competition against johnson. how about a guy like lemichael james to throw another wrinkle in the offense? what's your thoughts on a guy like kirk cousins as a bu to ben? we have options. :cool:

5. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Personally, No. I think Saunders is going to be that guy.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope they bring in someone in the later rounds (a bit like they did with Saunders). I refuse to believe that DJ is the best we can possible do.

7. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    He does need to be replaced. But he's not used as a receiver, he's used as a blocker. We need to replace him with a fullback.

Even an average fullback can catch, run, and run routes as well as or better than Johnson. And they will certainly be better at lead blocking.

8. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    personally I think we should have taken Dowling in the first or even Dalton. But if that low second rd Qb comes up again we should take it unless theres a T or G that just fell to far and to good to pass up.

9. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    whats the point in taking a QB? when we have a great QB and needs at LINE your say Ben gets hurt alot need a back up well if u put a LINE around Ben that would stop him from getting hurt! so wasting that high of a pick on a QB instead of Line is DUMB IMO because no matter what QB u put in without a Line is going to get HURT and i prom NONE can take the beating do the things Ben does behinde that so called Line :herewego!:

10. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    mojo its a QB to groom, unless we have a bad season were not gonna get a chance for a good replacement for Ben. U cant tell me u wouldnt want Dalton sitting over there on your bench, plus if u take that QB in the early 1st rd you have to pay the man to munch to ride the pine.

11. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm aware Ben's career could end with a couple of bad concussions.

If Ben plays another 4 or 5 years? Would drafting Dalton in the first round be worth it? Seeing only occasional backup duty through his entire first contract?

12. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Didn't hurt Aaron Rodgers...

13. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    point is u can daft a 100 QBs but if they dont fix the Oline what is the point? say we dafted Dalton and Ben got put out how long u think Dalton would last Behind our line? the only reason Ben Survives is because 1 he is BIG and 2 he is TOUGH so unless we find Favre in Daunte Culpepper body we should use the pick on OLINE instead of a QB to get KILLED!

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it's one pick. we have seven. we only hve 5 linemen. :cool:

15. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    i agree we need to take a QB LATE yes we have 7 thats my point its a WASTE to use a Early pick on a strengh QB when we have so MANY weaknesses OLINE MIDDLE LB NT dont know bout anyone else but im TIRED of useing late picks to try and get linemen who are garbage Kemo Foster ect ect use our early Picks for STUD OLmen put a line around Ben he plays 8 9 more years easy so again its a WASTE pick a QB that early its like this u have a brand new Mustang on ****ty tires instead of buying new tires you want to buy another Mustang and put it on the same tires! does that make since? :herewego!:

16. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm confused. I don't understand why you would want a mustang to begin with.

Just kidding

17. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    true Ben is More like a big M Car like a Cuda or Roadrunner lol

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Dalton's nowhere near the prospect Rodgers was, who nearly went #1 overall. Rodgers sat for 3 years I believe, and it wouldn't have been that long if the guy he was replacing was anyone else but Retard McGee.

My point wasn't that it would be bad for Dalton, but that it would be wasteful for the team. We could use that on someone who could help us much sooner, and then pick up a QB later.

19. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    THANK YOU :drinks: :herewego!:

20. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Look no further than Tom Brady to see what kind of luck can be had at the QB position. Yes, they are far and few between, but it happens. When it comes to backup next year, Lefty will be back. Teams are done giving him starter money...he has had enough chances.

21. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    In addition, you want a late round target for QB this year...IMO, that guy is Dan Persa. He isn't a great QB by any stretch, but he is smart, throws well on the run, and is a fighter. Now before you go and say, you think he is the next Brady...I never said that. I only said that I think he could be a good backup.

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wow, way too early to think about a replacement for Ben. Ben isn't even 30 yet. Brady is 34 and shows no signs of slowing. How old was Farve when they drafted Rodgers, had to been well into his 30's?

I like Lefty as the new Charlie Batch, which could work out for years...that leaves grooming a new young 3rd stringer because Dixon wants out because 3rd stringers don't play.

23. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    :this!: put a line around Ben he has 8 9 good years or more left!

24. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Theoretically, yes. But not all of Ben's injuries come from o-line play. I'm not saying let's go out and draft a QB in the first round, just that fixing the o-line may not guarantee another 8 or 9 years for Ben.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    8-9? not with the injuries he's had or will have with his style of play. the ankle injury was all bens fault. he had time to throw that ball away and chose not to. then ran back into the rushers. i don't see ben doing this craft at 37-38 years old. not with this style. it's still a human body and at some point it's going to just say no. foster wasen't a draft pick by the way. in the last couple of years we have used a 1 and a 2 on o-linemen. so it's not like we haven't done it, it's just we need to keep doing it for a couple of more years. :cool: