1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TarheelFlyer, Dec 12, 2011.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Okay, just fooling around a little today and thought I would throw together a Steeler Mock Draft just really quick. Only did 5 rounds, but thought it would be fun to do. I am also including a mock roster with it.

1. Donta Hightower - ILB Ala
    2. Ryan Miller - OG Colorado
    3. Dontai Poe - NT Memphis
    4. Xavier Nixon - OT - Florida
    5. Juron Criner AZ or Jarrett Boykin VT - WR (I lean Boykin)

Ben, Lefty, UFDA or Dixon (3)
    Mendenhall, Redman, Dwyer, Batch (4)
    Miller, Saunders, Johnson (3)
    Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Ward, Boykin (6)
    Starks, Colon, Gilbert, Nixon, Pouncey, Legursky, C. Scott, Foster, Miller (9)

Keisel, Hood, Heyward, McLendon, Poe, Woods (6)
    Hightower, Sylvester, Foote, Timmons, Harrison, Carter, Woodley, Worilds, Farrior (9)
    Ike, Lewis, Gay, Brown, Allen, Mundy, Clark, Troy P., Cromartie-Smith or UFDA (9)

Kapinos, Suisham, Warren (3)

This roster leaves 1 spot open for others to earn a spot onto the team, that spot would probably go to a CB, but you never know.

I thought about drafting a S at some point simply because of Troy's penchant for injuries, but in all honesty, I don't think there is anyone there worth that level of pick.

Thoughts?

2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why a receiver? I'd rather a QB there as opposed to a an UDFA.

Other than that, the position picks seem good right now :drinks: . I don't know enough about who's coming out of college, so I'll take your word that they are good and seem like we can get them in the latter half of the rounds where it seems we are picking again.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My thoughts are that I hope we are starting a rookie guard next season. Starks - Miller - Pouncey - Gilbert - Colon or Gilbert - Legursky - Pouncey - Miller - Colon ...Either way a step up from what we have now.

4. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I agree. 4-5 round QB. Ben is getting beat on, we need someone who might be the heir apparant if it happens sooner rather than later, God forbid. Dixon is not the answer......

5. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd say we're good at WR. Would like to see a capable QB drafted though for our future #2 so we can say so long to Charlie & good riddance to Dixon.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i'm not so sold on hightower i think we need a faster lb that can play coverage someone like burfict
    if declare i like ronnel lewis , olb from oklahoma can play any lb positions

7. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011

The logic here was actually pretty simple. At WR we have 3 young guys who I think we all love. Hines Ward is nearing the end of his career, Battle shouldn't ever line up at WR, and Cotchery who may walk away to another opportunity. This offense currently likes to go 4 and 5 wide. If Ward retires or Cotchery leaves, or god forbid both happen, this team only has 3 WR who I have any faith in. The 3rd string QB for the Steelers this year has taken how many snaps? We have 5 different WRs who have scored TDs for us. This is a move for some protection mostly. Maybe you move it back to the 6th round where you took A. Brown, but I would like to see a WR brought in either to replace Battle or to replace Ward if he retires or Cotchery if he leaves.

8. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I agree that Burfict is an incredible talent. I didn't choose him for 3 reasons:

1. The guy has known attitude issues. He plays with an edge that he constantly crosses the line. I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers don't like what they see attitude wise and potentially off the field.
    2. He is more Timmons than Farrior. Great athlete, but may get by on his talent and not the mental part of the game.
    3. To replace Farrior at some point, we need a guy who understands how to call plays, to be the man who sets everything up. That may take some time for that person to learn this. Hightower is very good against the run and is a smart heady player.

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I like what I've seen of Hightower, though that's admittedly not that much, I like the pick. But I think Guard has to be our first round pick. I suspect we'll pick up someone in FA and go for a development o-line pick, though.

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Battle doesn't and won't ever line up at WR, but I wouldn't say he shouldn't. He was the #1 WR in SF for a number of years, and although that was not a good sign for them, he's more than capable of being a #4 and certainly #5.

I bring this up all the time, but I still remember a game last year when we were coming from behind to win. We had an injury or two at WR, there was under a minute to go, obvious passing situation, 3rd and long. Ben was in shotgun, no RB, 5 WR. The receivers were Ward, Wallace, Miller, Redman, and David Johnson. This was no short yardage package, they were all spread out wide. David Johnson...? What is his threat there? Can he seriously do anything in the passing game better than Arnaz Battle? Battle was standing on the sideline watching, healthy as could be. I don't get it. Battle had been in the offense long enough, had success in preseason. But for whatever reason, this team is dead set against putting him on that field for anything other than special teams.

Anyway, with our young three, even if we lose both Ward and Cotchery, I'm comfortable. We have other big time weapons in Miller, Saunders, Mendenhall, Redman, probably Batch, and Battle for emergency. The team might not agree with me about Battle, but I think it won't matter because they will try to keep Cotchery. I'm cool with 4 or 5 active WR instead of 6.

11. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Guard is not a position that is going to go away from a depth perspective in the first round. Many Mocks have 3 total going in the first 2 rounds.

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if de castro is there we have to pick him otherwise i will take a lb or an ot

13. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    here are my top 7
    1. Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State
    2. Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington
    3. Steve Sciullo, OT, Marshall
    4. Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana
    5. Tydreke Powell DT North Carolina
    6. Carson Wiggs, K, Purdue
    7. Jordan Jefferson, QB, LSU

14. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I stand by my statement. Burfict is the antithesis of everything the Steelers draft. Great talent, but a head case.

15. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I just hope they DO NOT cut Starks again. He is at LEAST a dependable backup

16. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have watched hightower alot since I am a bama fan. most people think he will be an outside backer in the nfl because of his pass rushing skills. bama actually puts him a three point stance and lets him rush in third and long situations. He is not real strong in coverage so I dont think we need him at ilb, Just my opinion, being a fan I would not be dissapointed but I dont think he will be there when we pick, hopefully 32

17. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What has been the Steelers issues for the last several years??????? OL OL OL OL OL and more OL! THey better draft a stud OL with their 32nd pick (yes, I said it) and then either draft another OL before the 4th round or get a solid OL in free agency............then you take care of NT and CB. Damn, this franchise is LUCKY that Roethlisberger is not out of the league by now!

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

the trouble is sanders hasen't made a full season since he got here at wr. that would leave battle as our # 3. we would go from it being a stegnth to a difficiency. he was a #1 in SF for one year or two. they really need to re-sign cotchery as the # 3 or 4 guy. :cool:

19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed. Cotchery is not only a good receiver, he also adjusts well to Ben's extending the play. I hope we keep him around for another season or two.

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    my early mock first 4rd :write:
    rd1 de castro guard
    rd2 ronnel lewis lb (if declares) or audie cole lb
    rd3 ot matt mccants
    rd4 delano howells s

21. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    we have all of those needs but you think a OT is our third biggest need or jut hope that we get great value in the 3rd round? We need OL high and often because another year like this one and Big Ben is done, then what?

22. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    :this!:

23. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I would love to have him back, but I think he may have larger opportunities in another offense. For instance, Carolina needs receivers badly. He would be at worst the #3 guy there. He could be a #4 or #5 here. I am sure there are other opportunities that we can't even see that his agent can.

Do I want him back? Yes.
    Do I think the FO wants him back? Yes.
    Does he want to come back? ???? - we just don't know yet.

24. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    DeCastro is a guy who if he is there would be hard to pass up on. That being said, I still think you can get starting talent at the G position in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Ronnel Lewis is Timmons, not Farrior. He is a guy who is better at rushing from the edge than playing the run in the middle. Farrior has the run stop responsibility, I feel like we need that middle of the D QB.

Audie Cole I think you can probably get in round 3. I have seen him mocked in the 4th round.

Matt McCants is another guy who we should look at. I think his combine will get his rankings going up. You are talking about a All Conf. USA performer. Yes, not great talent he has faced, but he has talent.

Howell I see as more of a Ryan Clark replacement than a Troy replacement. I think we already have that in Mundy.

When I did my mock, I was thinking we took A. Brown in round 5, but he was a round 6. What a steal! Anyway, I do still believe we need to take one for the #6 spot. Give him a year to learn the offense. We have a LOT going on at that position. Wallace is a RFA. Ward could retire. Cotchery could walk away. Battle shouldn't play WR. I know many here debate that, but the coaches I still think feel that way as well.

I like your mock. Here is how I see the position you pick in terms of need.

Guard - our weakest spot on the line. Legs shouldn't be a starter. Foster shouldn't be a starter. I am okay with both as backups next year. Colon could move to RG or maybe Gilbert could move to G. If they move though, you need a tackle. Gilbert and Starks are okay at T. Colon provides decent depth there. I would even be okay with J. Scott as a depth guy, but G is really really weak.

ILB - To me our largest need. Farrior can't play forever.

S - We need a 4th.

25. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Aside of recently everyone debated whether or not CB's or OL was of top need. I still think we need a real CB and feel we are medicre there and are stocked with back up talent despite our pass D ranking.

And what about QB? If this week tells us anything, it's that this a place to fortify as well. As good as we are, there seems to be lots of holes to fill.

I hate to say it, but unless Ward comes in for less money, my fav Steeler might need to be released. His production doesn't warrant his salary anymore.

They might have a lot of money to work with after this year.

Kemo
    Smith
    Farrior
    Ward
    Batch
    Leftwich
    Dixon
    Hoke

maybe even :hmmm:
    D. Johnson
    Hampton
    Moore (when was his number called last?)
    Gay (I think he stays)
    and however many back up don't make the squad.

There is even a small chance (god, I hope not) Harrison and Troy don't come back. Especially if we win a SB. :shrug: :cry:

Players in red are def gone. :butcher: