1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft Strategy - Trading Up?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by RobVos, Oct 15, 2012.

1. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    with all the needs we have at starters i would go crazy if we draft a bu , depends on who is available and how high will be the spot , but i would't rule out a trade down if somebody want a qb , we need a lot of good players

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I don't think there's any right answer if we're drafting in the 10 range. I think you field all offers if a team wants to move up for someone. If a team was hungry for a guy like the Falcons were for Julio Jones I would totally move down. I would want at least an additional 2nd rounder though.

Otherwise you grab a stud. It's a win-win at that point... But it's really early to be talking about this.

3. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Hack, been reading a lot of articles like this one...
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1365 ... id-amerson

Which is actually good for you... A trade DOWN for Amerson might be more realistic at this point (or round 2 if he tanks the combine). I haven't watched much of him but the way QBs throw at him, it sounds like he likes to play off his man to bait QB's and has been burned by it more than he has been in the past.

4. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Hack..

I saw Amerson play against Maryland, and was not all that impressed with him as a 1st or 2nd rounder..am I missing something?

Do I need to YouTube this guy?

5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    To me this year is all about our defense. ILB, OLB, S and then you look at C and Dline.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd still like that stud starting LT. then all D. :cool:

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We may very well have that in Adams. He's already shown that he's a beast in the running game. Give him time to develop and he could be that stud we need.

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Definitely. Let's let that shake out. And I still like Gilbert. I know he's been hurting his teammates lately, but when he's not doing that he plays well. I don't think he gave up a sack all year, did he? And Starks is doing a great job in the meantime. In any case, Starks-Gilbert-Adams is a trio I'm happy with. We are pretty well set at WR, TE, RB, and QB. First pick needs to be defense. LB, CB, or S.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Agree 100%. Of course, there's a lot of season left, but as it stands right now...it's looking promising. Defense first round.

10. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Amerson seems to have games where he is not in the flow....why...I don't know...but I like it...if he plays lights out...no way he is around...if he continues to have consistency problems......We could walk away with Teo and Amerson.....after that...call it a weekend.....won't matter to me who else they get.

HACK

11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    If we don't go defense in the 1st I might be a little upset. I will be waiting by the phone for that call from the Rooneys to help them with their draft this next year. Just like have been waiting for the last 35 plus years. One day my phone will ring just all you doubting Thomas' wait and see. Then you wont be able to make fun of me anymore, well, atleast not for that!

12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah if we don't get a cornerback I think I might jump off my barn. I REALLY want a true shutdown corner. We need one because our division has deep threats within it that we have to play against twice a year ya know? We can't always depend on Ryan Clark to be there to save Ike from getting posterized by A.J. Green. Also Torry Smith seems to be somewhat of a threat as well. I'm just a cornerback loving kinda guy but for me I think we desperately need a true corner bad!

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I would trade up for any of these 3 safties Safeties
    1. *Eric Reid, LSU, 6-2/208
    2. T.J. McDonald, USC, 6-3/205
    3. Robert Lester, Alabama, 6-2/210

14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree!!! You know I sit and watch these games and still, for the life of me, can not figure out how are secondary is rated so highly. Troy is a non-facter. Ike, even when he has a good game, can not catch the ball to save his life. Lewis I have seen make a few good plays but the penalties are killers. I like Cortez but he is what he is, at this point. A shutdown corner opposite Ike, as he watches his career reach its end, would be super.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    shamarko thomas syracuse 4.39 nice looking safety. speed to burn. good safety prospect. :cool:

16. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    All Teo all the time.....Amerson will be a second round pick (if he comes out).....TEO TEO TEO TEO TEO...

Get Teo and Amerson in 2....then whatever else makes you happy.

HACK

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    The more I look at the 2013 draft the more I see a draft completely void of offensive skilled players. We will see which juniors come out, but I don't currently have 1 QB or 1 RB as a Top 32 pick. Lattimore would have been but I have downgraded him due to his injury. Even the WRs are questionable. The top tier OTs are shaky too once you get past Joeckel.

This draft is going to be HEAVY on defensive players. If we want a good one, we may have to look at moving up.

The 2 best players in my eyes: OLB Jarvis Jones (Georgia) and Manti Teo (Notre Dame). I think both will be gone in the Top 5. I would probably sacrifice my draft for Jones, but not Teo.

If we were ever considering going back to a 4-3, I would really look hard at Bjoern Werner. this guy has been a beast all year, especially yesterday vs the Gators. The guy reminds me of Jared Allen. Not the biggest guy, but is strong and never quits on a play.