1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft question :

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Disco1981, Apr 7, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No need to apologize that's why I ended with a smile face. I enjoy banter with knowledgeable fans and I know we generally agree on most things, but the line of what are we supposed to do draft all offense on a team loaded.

I know you read my mocks and have never went offense heavy. If you go back for several years and well before this year ended I was and am one of the first to want a change at safety. I also want a LB or two but not just for the sake of drafting one early just because he's ranked in the first or second the same goes with any position. We need some certain type of player to improve the defense not more of what we have or just a change for change sake.

Offense also has some needs and I am not an all in on this year only fan. It is an ongoing process. We will be losing a RB and we also have one hurt. We will be losing a WR that is our deep threat with speed. We also lost a very good o-linemen that needs replaced and we have an aging starter that just had shoulder surgery. TE, well you know the deal there.

I am a firm believer that they drafted a couple of guys that needed some time in the system to learn and they will become good players for us. I also believe that players improve the longer they play in a system and play together, so the FAs like haden and sensabaugh and maybe even Wilcox will get better as they learn our system with a camp under they're belts. We have better coaches and should have better communication between players this year. I also know year two and three makes a huge difference in players getting IT. We are at that point with many defensive guys right now. Let's add the right guys to the team and win a championship for a few years not just one. Nobody wanted a WR in the second last year but he's worked out quite well and added to an already good offense. Let's not let that side weaken to the point of the defense. Our line isn't getting younger, that's for sure. We have a new OC and he needs some toys too. :cool:

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    First off Blast I am in that camp 100% I think I have said that in my last post but I get it when you get a bug up your (you know what) you have to go after someone. I have said over and over and over that just letting Mitchell and Spence go makes us better. I also have been going back and forth with a few other here in other threads that our defense isn't as bad as many make it out to be.

Now as far as putting words in Mac's mouth please please please point out where I said he didn't want defense:

I think what I did do was ask him what he wanted us to do, in response to his post. If that is putting words in his mouth that was not what I was trying to do. So @mac daddyo if you think I am putting words in your mouth I am sorry I am not. Wow man this place is changing fast!

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well mac I do enjoy chatting with you and for the most part we have agreed on a ton of stuff and the funny thing is I really believe we are on the same page here. Just for some reason we are two rams locking horns over really nothing, lol.

So with that said I believe we need help on offense as we will soon need another RB and I think most know how I feel about that. It isn't about wanting Bell around but more about wanting a guy that can be ready to take over for him. MB will be gone so we need to continue our awesome drafting of a WR. Most think TE is set and you know I don't, oline needs help for depth as well. So while I feel defense is our first priority I don't see it being the only priority.

I do think we have some talent in the wings but I don't look at every one of them as being starter material and that is why I want some more defensive picks. Which if you polled 100 Steeler fans I am pretty sure 99 would say we need defense. Oh well jmo

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't worr about it man it's draft time people have different opinions that's all . The draft is a crap shoot no one knows anything for certain ,it's all opinions. You can draft a star or a bust in any round. Most times it just comes down to a player fitting a certain team and you can't predict how a player may exceed expectations or fall below. If everyone was right on their assessments all the time teams would be building complete units on O and D in a very short time. Rosters are constantly changing and what may look like a strength can become a need real quick depending on all different scenarios. I'm sure all the teams go into the draft looking to fill immediate needs but also trying their best to predict the future....good luck.
    It's all good. This place is still the best.....it's just opinion season ...and you know what they say about that.....:drinks: This for all you guys....I don't care who ends up being wrong or right....I just want rings.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Good write steel deal.

No ill feelings NY or steel deal. It's all good my friends. We all in the end are on the same page wanting the Steelers to dominate. We have been coming up short and it gets frustrating for all of us. Sometimes things don't come over the printed word the way they would in person. Looking forward to more banter in the future. I believe we are all closer to the same page than it seems anyway. No worries from my end. Dilly dilly. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks guys one thing we all agree on is we want the Steelers to win and that is the most important thing. Just feel like lately people want to argue more and think they know more then everyone else. Me I can careless if I am right or wrong as long as it ends up with wins and rings. I enjoy reading other opinions but it don't mean they know more or less. I like this place and enjoy the people who put the time in and post their opinions. You guys both just brought up same very good points about players not fitting teams or schemes and etc nice job. :thumbs_up:

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wow, someone is grumpy this morning.