1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft question :

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Disco1981, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    With the draft fast approaching I recently seen a few mocks of us taking Calvin Ridley WR

Here's my question Steeler fans: Our most pessing needs appear to be ILB,or S...If there is a run on them, which would you rather have...

The 3rd or 4th ILB...The 3rd or 4th Safety...Same with OLB's and DT or...

Would you rather " possibly " have the 2nd best WR, or maybe 2nd best RB ( Guice ) or even maybe...the no.1 TE

Is this team in a strong enough position to take the BPA...Or do we HAVE to address our most glaring needs now, because of Bens short window

Looking forward towards your responses

2. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Ok: I'll start it off lol...

I think if this scenario would happen ( the WR ) Say it is Ridley...He would be an immediate plug & play

I could then see the Steelers working the phones for a Bryant trade...Say, for arguments sake they got a 4th...They could then possibly use that ammo to move up in the 2nd or 3rd...To get a ILB or S they covet

3. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Drafting the best WR means Smith-Schuster doesn't play as much. That's not a good thing.

Drafting the second best RB means either he or Bell does not play as much. Why would we do that?

Drafting the best college WR or second best RB doesn't improve the team.

4. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017

That's why I asked for opinions...But disagree with JuJu...You draft a WR in the 1st...HIM, JuJu, and AB are all playing

5. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    If we use a 1st on a WR then he pretty much has to play along with AB but how does that improve the team? Will Ridley be so much better than Smith-Schuster that it justifies using our 1st round pick on him?

If we used our 1st on an RB then Bell would have to be traded, which is a possibility but we don't usually do business that way.

As for using our 1st on a TE, could happen, but we gave up a 4th for Mcdonald so I kind of doubt they use a high pick on a TE just yet. Mcdonald can play if he can stay healthy.

Also, I actually like WR DJ Chark better than Calvin Ridley but I'm probably the only one.

6. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I like Chark...And if you draft TE...Bye bye James, cut him...He's in his last year

7. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    If we’re talking third or fourth at ILB or Safety that would be VanderEsche or Evans; Harrison, Reid. I’d be happy with any of them in the second.

And we get Ridley? That’s a win. I wouldn’t be surprised if we run 4 wide often. Let’s not forget it’s not like Bryant was rippin it up during the regular season.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    After Bryant exits there will be a hole. I would not be surprised if they took a receiver in the 1st. A receiver will be added in the first 3.

With retaining Bell for another season they are all in on the Offense. Another weapon could possibly make this Offense unstoppable.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As much as people may hate this, I do forsee Pittsburgh acquiring a Wide Receiver yet again early on. There is not much depth there and quite a bit of good talent will allow some receivers to be pushed into Round 2 by pick 60.

My personal favorite currently is D.J. Chark from LSU. At 6'3 and 200 with room to grow, he fits what the Steelers look for in wide receivers; fast and explosive. Add his kick return experience and both Tomlin and Colbert attending LSU's pro day and the odds could very well be in his favor if players like Malik Jefferson or some other linebackers not be available by then.

Another great in state talent is Justin Watson from the University of Pennsylvania. Like Chark, he is also 6'3 but 219lbs and built almost like a running back (a trait the team seems to be intrigued with). He is just as fast as the 4.3 burner that Chark is but is not as fluid in space either. He is every bit as explosive (40 inch vertical and 10'07 broad jump) and "stronger" at 20 reps. Considering he is a late round option, spending one of our fifth round picks on him would not be bad at all; should he still be there of course.

10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I dont think Ridley will be there for us. I believe Dallas will take him.

11. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    I think CB is on the radar as well. One that is strong playing man and is a playmaker. I think Tomlin and Colbert realize We still don’t have playmaking CB that can play man efficiently enough to defend against a RPOs. Zone will have you eatin up; you need to be able to stop the run and play tight against Eligible Recievers.

Haden is one year older and who knows if he’ll be on the team in 2019.

12. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    RB.. Guice or Michel

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Take the 4th ILB or 3rd or 4th Safety, WR isn't a pressing need.

14. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Grand slam homerun. He wont be there but he is a game changer. U sprint to the podium

15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I would take Evans, LVE, Harrison, Reid and Bates before I take Ridley. I think we will end up with a WR at some point in the first 3 picks but round one will still have a ton of talent at weaker positions IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No thanks, we need defense in the first round. You don't need that many star WRs on one team IMO, it does you no good when you can't stop anybody on defense.

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    If we didn't have AB and Juju I would say year but since we are talking about a 3rd WR I say no I am more interested is defense like the 4 I mentioned above. If Ridley is sitting there that also means guys like Washington, Sutton, Kirk, Cain, Pettis & Chark are being pushed back to the 2nd and I would rather have say Evans and Chark than say Ridley and Jewell/White.

This isn't a knock on Ridley but rather an opinion based on how bad our defense played last year. I am also more inclined to think RB over WR at this point as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    People keep talking about our bad defense last year like nothing has been done. Harrison gone. Moats gone. Mitchell gone. Gay gone. Golden gone. Hilton year two. Sutton year two. Allen year two. Adams year two. TJ year two. Haden year two here with a full camp. Burns year three. Davis year three. Sensabaugh year two here. Here here. Burnett here. Bostic here. Matakevich healed and year three. Alualu year two here. Chickillo year three. Hargreaves year three. New D-Line coach. New DB coach. Much has changed and year two and three should be huge jumps for these guys. We will be better even without all these draft picks. By far. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Finally! Someone with some vision for the bigger picture! Thank you! I thought I was alone with being pleased about their offseason moves. TACKLING Definitely got a whole lot better!

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bates or Vander in the first and Ill be very happy. I lean towards Bates just a smidgen more but at the same time, when I think about Vander and Shaizer on the field together, I break out into a happy dance. Yeah, I believe Shazier is coming back absolutely next season.

They could go any direction though, a RB wouldnt surprise me in the first. About the only thing I dont see in play is a QB. (no LS, P and K either for the funny people on this board).

Signing Bostic and Burnett gives them a lot of leeway in this draft.

21. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I would definitely take Watson in the 3rd and maybe even in the 2nd if the draft fell badly for us. That kid catches everything and runs a 4.3! I think he will be a great pro.

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    So what are we suppose to stop improving the defense that was bad last year or do you want to draft offense on a team that is already loaded? Come on Mac your better then this, I am not saying we haven't done anything to improve but you can't get rid of players without replacing them. I totally agree we are going to be better with just the cut alone but you still have to add players. Ok so we let Mitchell, Gay and Golden go and replaced them with Burnett and Berhe. Yeah we have Allen but we still need a player either to take Allen's spot of if Allen don't step up to be a back up.

I am not saying ignore the offense but you can bet your bottom dollar I want more defense then I want offense. I also don't think anyone watching this team would disagree with that, if you do then I am sorry you have your opinion but I will not agree with it. :smiley1:

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Where did I say we don't need some defensive players? Ever. We could say if he does or doesn't about any draft pick. Allen is a draft pick. Adams is a draft pick. Sutton is a draft pick. We shouldn't nor will we abandon the offense though. We can only keep so many and give out so many helmets on game day. We don't need 40safety prospects and 40 linebacker prospects and I'd like to hope a few guys we spent draft picks on previously will take the next step. People want to keep drafting replacements for replacements before we have even given the first replacement a chance to play. Please don't put words in my mouth that I don't want defensive players and just want offense. Just not true. We did replace Mitchell with a good player. We replaced Davis with a better position. We replaced golden with a better player. We replaced Spence with a better player. We replaced moats with a draft pick and a guy that has at least some NFL knowledge and has been around the team learning. We brought back a safety we saw some promise in from last year and is healthy. We got an ILB healthy again that was our draft pick. Just because we change bodies doesn't make a draft pick an instant starter or even an upgrade. Cmon NY you are better than that.:smiley1::cool:

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well Mac where did I say that you said we don't need defensive players? I simply asked what are we suppose to do as I was responding to you post where you talk about people acting like we haven't improved on defense. If you read my posts you would know that I have said that over and over, I have also said just not having Mitchell and Spence on this team makes us so much better on defense.

So let me ask you then since you think I put words in you mouth which I did not do, what were you implying in you post then? I totally agree with you that we should not ignore the offense but to think we still shouldn't draft heavy on the defense because we signed a couple players I do not agree with. I get that you want to give the back ups to the back ups a chance and I agree to a point but you still have to replace them. In many posts you keep bringing up Allen and I hope he develops but he played zero defensive snaps for us last year.

We are by far a better team on defense right now compared to last season but we still need more. We need to add a ILB to take over for Bostic when he leaves or if he is injured. I am a Dirty Red fan one of his biggest I was rooting for us to draft him in round 3 last year and everyone called me crazy but he is not ready to take over. Forte has proven he can't and we have no idea what we have in Kelsey and Galambos but considering where they were we really can't expect these guys to be starters. The same thing with S and OLB, we need to add some more skilled players to this mix.

Your right I am better than that and that is why I am questioning you and if you took offense to my post I apologize that was not what I was meaning to do.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Certainly seems like you are putting words in his mouth...again :lolol:

Mac is just saying the defense isnt as bad as some make it out to be. I thought you were in that camp that they werent that bad either???