1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft- 7 rounds- shoot me now

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrock151, Feb 12, 2012.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Round 1- Donte Hightower- ILB- Alabama- Need one, huge drop off after first round. Don't believe for a second DeCastro or Martin fall to us. BPA at position of need, and we have a lot of positions of need.

Round 2- Kevin Zietler- G- Wisconsin- Badly need to shore up the interior line. Like, really badly. Like, incredibly really badly. Think Zietler does that for us.

Round 3- Bobbie Massey- T- Ole Miss- Really wanted to take a nose tackle here, but not sure about Chapman's size. Shoring up the offensive line seems the best move, and Massey is a sure fire right tackle with left tackle potential down the road.

Round 4- Nick Jean-Baptiste- NT- Baylor- I sincerely believe that our front office thinks that even without Hampton we will do ok at NT. Baptiste is about the same weight as Ta'amu and Poe, but shorter, for better leverage.

Round 5- Omar Boldin- CB- Arizona State- Had an outstanding 2010, then missed 2011 after tearing his ACL last spring. Good chance he falls, and he's a first or second round talent if he heals well. McFadden's gone, and Gay might go also. More for value than for need.

Round 6- Marquis Maze- WR/KR- Alabama- Really, really want a 6' 4" wide receiver for possession, I really do. but Maze is great value here, is seriously underrated, and will more than adequately fill in as our new return man.

Round 7- Joe Halahuni- FB, Oregon State- Dammit, we need a real fullback. 6' 2", 252 lbs. And Halahuni has excellent hands coming out of the backfield.

Round 7 (compensatory or whatever they're called)- Bryan Angar- P- California- Great leg, number 1 in the nation in 2010, number 2 in 2011. Don't like it, but unfortunately our punter spends more time on IR than the field because he thinks he's a linebacker.

Disclaimer- I used Walterfootballs draft rankings for each particular spot, using positional rankings. At no time did I take a player who was ranked to go in a lower round in a later round (didn't choose a second round talent in the fourth ruond, for example). I will admit that whenever someone was ranked say rounds 4/5, I took them in the latter round.

I believe that we do not need any running backs, I believe that our cornerbacks are pretty well set for next year, and that we will not draft a qb for backup.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i don't like hightower to much because is not good in coverage , the rest is good , while i don't think massie will be available in the 3rd

3. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Just some quick thoughts. The first 3 picks I can deal with. The 4th I dont know much about. I'd rather have a S than a CB, a QB than a WR (which is the lowest need on the team along with RB). And why would you draft a P when they obviously need a Kicker? Kapino's did a fine job replacing Sep again (and will probably be the P going forward) and if they're gonna waste a trade pick on a STer I'd rather it be a good kicker.

4. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Would have preferred a safety myself. Just didn't see the value at that spot. And a lot of times Steelers draft a high value player (see Dwyer, Clay and Batch from the last two years) not neccesarily because we need them, but because they are great value at the position. Like I said, word on Boldin was that he was fhigh first/low second round material if he had come out after 2010, but he stayed and got hurt, so i took him as a very high value, risk/reward type player.

I thought that with our signing Troy Smith and Myron Rolle, QB and Safety would be less of a need. Would like to get a new safety and quarterback, just don't believe that the value is there long term.

Sorry bout the punter. For some reason, I couldn't load the kickers, so I didn't want to go blind. Probably would have been better to have just left it off totally. My bad.

And as far as Hightower not being good in coverage, just think that thats something he's going to have to work on. Keuchly isn't going to be there, wouldn't touch Burflict in the first round, and just don't see anyone else in the draft who has the size to handle some of the tight ends physically. Maybe Audie Cole, but we can't gamble he'll be there in the 3rd round, and I wouldn't take him before that.

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    As a side note Clay was undrafted.

As far as Troy Smith / Myron Rolle....while those guys were at one point highly touted players...they have done nothing to even earn a roster spot in the NFL. While Smith was on the rosters of Balt and SF...he got cut for a reason. While hey maybe he could make it as a 3rd QB and I wouldnt have a problem with it (as he's probably better than Dixon as of now)...its just a long shot for both of them...especially Rolle. Most of the time these "future contract" players end up just being camp or practice squad bodies. There are obviously exceptions at times...but its rare.

6. americamade2012

americamade2012 Active Member

Jan 1, 2012
    we just have to hope that hightower does not go to the cravens he is a beast

7. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Steelers have

1. Cap issues they are working on

2 Little interest in top dollar free agents

3. A RFA that they will surely have to keep an eye on (Wallace)

4. Trying to find more balance.

Thats why the bitter response.

8. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Huh? I'm lost with those post. What does this have to do with a 7 round mock someone did?

9. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    While gpguy and I disagree with some things (actually, I agree with what gpguy commented about my draft, especially about needing safety over cb and wanting a backup qb) i don't think there's anything bitter though. and honestly, i agree with your points, cept for the bitter part. the story of the steelers....no $, no free agents, etc.....

10. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Feel free to copy and paste into the sig thread, and edit as much as you want until draft day.

11. noitall0605

Dec 1, 2011

Um, Im lost 2! I thought I posted this on another topic....hm... that is my stray. :shrug: I cant even find where I actually wanted that to go.

12. noitall0605

Dec 1, 2011
    It was suppose to go on a sign Colston topic I was responding to......I cant find it

13. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The whole thread was deleted because the OP went on a crazy, violence-threatening, swearing rampage with words I don't even care to bleep out with asterisks. But your post did make it in, and it was part of what drove him to madness! :thumbs_up:

14. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Here are my choices....If Adams is there in the first I would take him but if not then it's Poe.

1. Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
    Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis
    2. James Michael-Johnson, ILB, Nevada
    3. Brannon Brooks, OG Miami, Oh
    4. Casey Howard, CB, Vanderbilt
    5. Brodie Ewing, FB, Wisconsin
    6. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State
    7. Randy Bullock, K. Texas A&M

15. noitall0605

Dec 1, 2011

If that means the end of Swiss ham, hell grab that kicker in round 2! Force yourself into not being able to cut a 2nd round pick. Seriously, that is the only guy on the roster that drives me nuts.

16. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Guess how many rookie QB's have beat Dick Lebeau as a DC... one... guess who it was...