1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Doomsday Shelter - another top 5 music question

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I thought you were only 80

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    1. Rush
    2. Pink Floyd
    3. Symphony X
    4. Opeth
    5. Cattle Decapitation

OK… joking on that last one. I like some less-extreme death metal (like early Opeth), but Cattle Decapitation is way over the top. I’ll say Iron Maiden for #5.

• Like Like x 3
  3. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    The Roots/Black Thought
    Opeth or Baroness
    High on Fire
    Sam Cooke
    Birgit Nilsson

• Like Like x 2
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've been listening 2 Opeth since the 90s. Talk about a band that has evolved. :thumbs_up:
    You know a band that doesn't get much love that's been around a while is Fates Warning . I remember when the album The Specter Within came out.....I actually wore out 2 cassettes tapes of it. Here is just one song off the old album. Actually no reason I picked this one....just the 1st from the album I came across on YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Opeth songs like “The Drapery Falls” and “Harlequin Forest” are amazing hybrids of Pink Floyd style melancholy prog rock and death metal. Amazing creativity. Mikael Akerfeldt is a great songwriter.

I used to listen to Fates Warning. Good band. Check out the Arch/Matheos Sympathetic Resonance album released maybe 10 years ago. Good stuff from former Fates Warning members. “Under a Stained Glass Sky” is a great song from that album.

• Like Like x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thanks for the heads up.:thumbs_up:
    I surely will check it out.

7. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Putting Fate's Warning in the rotation! Thanks. Yeah Opeth has variety and lots of material. Perfect for bunkers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    Man, we almost flew to Berkeley to go see High on Fire on NYE! But we didn't. :facepalm:

Love them!!! ok??? Looooove!!!!

Love the older Baroness better than the new stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  9. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    The No exit album was soooo good!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    High on Fire is great live. So is Baroness. Yeah, I like the Red, Blue and Purple albums the best. Yellow, Green and Grey&Gold are rock albums not metal albums. Only the first two LPs can be called metal and all the EPs before that. Sounds heavier live. Just thought from their EPs to their new stuff it changed a ton and provides a lot of variety. One of my favorite bands for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hmm hard to say as my answer could very well be different tomorrow morning. I need variety.

- Pink Floyd -- Easy choice
    - Metallica -- Easy choice

Next two are harder to drill down

- Pennywise
    - Afro Man - guessing most even know who this is. But been listening to rap since the very early 80's and still haven't stopped. Impossible to drill down to one artist. Thinking what I would need while underground and they bring a smile to my face

Flex spot and would decide the very last minute they are about to shut the door down on me.

- Too Short
    - Pantera
    - Suicidal Tendencies
    - Lynard Skynard
    - Doors
    - Some for of deep / funky house music or maybe a DJ. Or maybe a few of my favorite mixes?
    - But maybe some classical music might be in order for a palate cleanser as the above might be too much especially stuck underground. I would need to decide between Beethoven, Mozart as I couldn't tell you off the bat which one I prefer as I would need to listen to them again to remember. But easy to have going in the background all the time.
    - My 80's playlist from Spotify that for some reason I listen to almost everyday at work. It's my go to to lower my stress levels.

Yep I literally can't decide. But now I'm thinking maybe I'm leaning toward my 80's playlist (that might or might not actually be exactly all 80's but it's what reminds of that time period)

• Like Like x 2
  12. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020

Matt Pike JUST put out a new solo record. Theres one single out already. Its pretty cool.

For Baroness I love the 1st and 2nd EP's for them, and plus the split with Unpersons. Then they just went towards a lighter direction with lineup changes, which i dont like as much. But the singer, as i'm sure you know is a ridiculous artist also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm so excited for Pike's solo project! Had no idea. Good looking out thank you. Full release Feb. 18th it says. Just downloaded the single.

Yeah agree on Baroness. The lineup changes came after a bus crash. I think the band creatively is so much Baizley that he is just changing as he gets older and is mellowing out like everyone but Matt Pike does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020

I put on the Pantera Southern Trendkill record the other day.....hadnt listened to it in about 5 or 6 years. That record was so ahead of its time. Just incredible.

Love Skynard too, especially the deeper cuts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I was scrolling through my music collection the other day, and started listening to Nevermore after not having listened to them for a year or two. Some of their albums are great. Older ones like The Politics of Ecstasy and Dreaming Neon Black are solid. Then Jeff Loomis switched to 7 strings, and they released Dead Heart in a Dead World, which was probably their best album. This Godless Endeavor was their last good one in 2005, and that was great too. The title track is an epic song with creative, thought provoking lyrics by the late Warrell Dane.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    George Strait
    Cody Jinks
    Jimmy Buffett
    U2
    Motley Crue

have to have variety.

• Like Like x 2
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Freaking Great album. Very underrated. Same as I always felt about Faith No More : Angel Dust. Ahead of its time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    Yea, bummed I never saw Faith No More live, but I have seen Fantomas and Dead Cross. And those were both incredible shows.

Also found this version of Floods with a long outro: Such a great song. And Suicide Note part 2!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I seen Pantera 3 times.
    Hell I seen them live at a club before Phil sang with them. LoL. They were a bit different then.

20. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    They were a glam band. Then they became cowboys......from HELL. hahahah!

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    well since you get their entire catalog i would think you would want bands that have a a lot of albums to pic from . plus a little variety of music. my mood at the time dictates my music choice. i generally listen to metal but sometimes i prefer more mellow tunes.

AC / DC
    Metallica
    Eagles
    led zepplin
    fleetwood mac.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All of these are great, but Ac/DC
    LoL. I'm probably the only Human in the world that literally can't stand them. I freaking hate that they beat you over the head with the title of the song. For example: Back in Black ...well never mind I just went 2 listen 2 it so I could count, but got bored after the 20th time Back....Back...back...in black was said, but You get the point. They do this on every freaking song. I'm like Dude I get it....Hells bells...Hells Bells....Hells Bells....Back in black....Back in black...back...back.....Ok I know the name of the song already. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    i grew up on AC/DC. highway to hell was the first 8 track i ever owned.
    for the youngsters this is an 8 track ..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My first 8 track was Destroyer by Kiss. LoL
    Either that or AJA by Steely Dan. I can't remember which was 1st.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    i was never a huge kiss fan. i know i had a few of their singles on 45's. like back in the new york groove.
    i did go see Frehlys commet in a bar back in the early 90's. it was crazy. the bar was a former airport hanger called slammers. i think we were in martinsburg west virginia. it was a pretty big place. the crazy thing was the people mobbed the stage for some opening band named Icon which i had never heard of and when Ace played no one gave a ****. like the guy wasnt a member of one of the biggest bands that ever existed. so we stood a few feet away from him his entire show . he did all the songs he did lead vocals on with kiss.