1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dontari Poe?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Feb 17, 2017.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Thorn, I think the money that Poe will command may be too much for a position that is considered somewhat deep. Walton really showed some improvement this year and is great depth behind Tuitt and Cam. Instead of Plan B involving another front for the defense, I think Plans A through C should be find that OLB. It's very early in the process but the way the draft could fall would give us limited choices at OLB at the 1:30 spot. If there is ever a year to get a FA OLB, this is it. Ingram and Perry may be too expensive, but there could be some other less hyped talents out there that can give JH92 some help and round out the rotation with Chick. An OLB will have to be drafted at some point, to develop if an Ingram or Perry is not signed.

FA will dictate a lot of the draft priorities.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dont get your question. You suggested they should go after Poe. I think if they are going to spend a ton of money on a FA, spend it on a OLB.

Theres no plan B to that scenario.

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Adding to my earlier post, Buffalo Bills OLB Lerentee McCray may be a low money option to add to the OLB rotation until a draft pick is developed. He was traded from the Packers to the Bills when they were depleted by injuries at the OLB spot. 27 years old and is now a FA.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The question is they never really break the bank on free agents but rather make reasonable offers and show off the franchise pedigree and hardware and hope that sways the player. So lets say the only two guys that fit the bill are Ingram and Perry like Turtle says and they both are not swayed by a middle of the road deal money wise by an elite franchise what is your plan B? they need options at OLB and I think we have talked about what the current options are so far, so if you can't get an edge rusher perhaps you can look at creating pressure with your Dline. No?

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    But yet you want them to shell out bug bucks for Poe? I simply said if they are going to spend big money, spend it on a LB.

But obviously the draft if they fail to land a FA pass rusher. Its not like they cant get after the QB, I think they led the league in the second half of the season in sacks, 31. And that was without Heyward. FA is the way to go but if they have to stick with the draft, so be it. Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Bud and JH are all capable of getting to the QB.

And aren't they running some 4-3 looks anyway with their sub packages? They are barely in their base.

6. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    It is all about making the team better. Poe is better than Hargrave. Simple as that. But Poe also costs a heck of a lot more as well.

As I said...If you can get him...you get him....He makes your team better. Better players make your team better.

We all know that it will not happen...nor even be looked into...but I stand by my statement...if you can get him...you make room.

As for Jarvis Jones.....I would welcome him back with open arms. I think to many people don't watch enough OTHER TEAMS play.

Jarvis may not have turned into a monster...but he could start on a lot of teams...and as a backup you will not find many #3 or #4 LB's of his caliber......To me it would be 100% based on how much does he want? and how much does he want to play? If he wants to break the bank and start...no thank you...but if he is ok taking an average contract and being part of a rotation....Here is the pen.

HACK

7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I never said I didn't want them to shell out big bucks for a true edge rusher Blast I said they typically don't throw huge amounts of cash around trying to get FA so if they don't get one of the top guys that can play in the system what is another option. They could make a similar offer to someone like Poe and see what that does. I don't think we want them to put all their hopes into getting that one guy via free agency do we? I am just offering alternatives

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The only way I even consider Poe is if we go to a base 4 man front and decide that we're going to let Tuitt walk next year. In that situation, you can have Poe play the nose and Hargrave play the 3 tech. You have Dupree and Heyward play the ends. If we're staying with a base 3 man front, there's no way I consider paying Poe. Personally, I think between Hargrave and Poe, Hargrave will offer more as an interior rusher, possibly as soon as next season. The kid made serious strides as a rookie coming from a FCS school. If he makes a decent year 1 to year 2 jump, look out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No thanks on Poe, sorry he may be a great player but I am not throwing a ton of money on him when we have Hargrave who is coming off a good season and is only gonna get better for a fraction of the price. Just some reasons why I say no to Poe:

* Spend a ton of money on a guy coming off a very bad season due to a back injury...no ty

* Do we really know what defense we really are anymore..4-3, 3-4, hybrid IDK a lot of money for a guy we don't know where he will play

* The NFL is becoming faster, I would rather spend on a younger faster S, ILB and CB then a NT/DT.

I know we need to get more pressure up the middle but our needs in the back end far out weigh the need(if there is one) for Poe imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well he couldn't hold down a starting position. He was replaced 2 years in a row by an aging linebacker.They elected not to give him the 5th year option I believe to see if that would motivate. Well, it didn't. He is weak at the point of attack, gets swallowed up and is late to the party. I still don't get the wanting to retain him. He will not get any better then he is. Lets let him go prove us wrong just like Ziggy Hood did...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like Poe , but at what price would he make sense ? We have a lot of holes on D and if Ben retires that is really the only chance this Team has to compete ....We should look at each and every option on that side of the ball as I don't think Ben is coming back ..

I think we should still be looking DB'S first we need at least 3 more total...

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    IF the team wanted to improve the D line that significantly, then just draft Iowa's Jaleel Johnson. He is a Hargrave clone imo. Much cheaper and younger. I just don't think they view that as an option when the resources they could offer Poe could be used on an OLB and you are not making changes to your base defense. If they are making those kind of changes they better be in it wholeheartedly and not just out of frustration because they can't secure an OLB.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thorn, you pitched Poe, I said Id rather spend the money on a OLB. Theres no alternative to your question, theres no plan B, they get Poe or a OLB.

I swear I feel like I am in a who's on first moment.

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    yeah I feel like there is a disconnect here with what I was originally getting at.