1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dontari Poe?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Feb 17, 2017.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is more a question for the draft room threads and guys really getting into the draft break down discussions. Indications are that Kansas City could be forced to let Poe test the free agency waters, if he signed with the Steelers what would that do to your positional needs/draft priorities board?

Poe could be a true NT in a traditional 3-4 but not used in all three downs or could become part of a 4 man front sub package that would take the pressure off finding a true edge rusher to match with Dupree. It would also allow Hargrave to grow as well allowing Tuitt, Heyward and Hargrave to rotate or move to different spots along the front to create confusion and mismatches. Is this a possibility and if so what would it move to a top draft priority?

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It would be a waste imo. We don't play the base enough and who are you taking off the field in the nickel for him. Heyward and Tuitt are perfect do the inside of a 2-4-5 defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I tend to agree with this. I think we are looking more for a depth signing not a starter signing. Feel the same way about the draft. Hargrave, Tuitt, Heyward should get the bulk of the snaps in the modified 4/3 we are running at the DT positions, with Dupree and Harrison getting the DE slots, although a draft pick should get some as well. Add in Walton for depth and the Dline doesn't look that bad. Add in Maxey, McCullers, and Matthews and the bad doesn't look bad. I see them adding a vet in free agency...maybe 2.

4. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    But you also have to have quality depth to rotate Heyward and Tuitt so they aren't completely spent by the end of the season as well. I was looking at it more as an outside the box solution to what people are thinking with going to a more 4 man front with the Tampa 2 behind and wouldn't put the focus finding that outstanding edge rusher to bring the pressure.

5. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Poe no you d'int

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    little-slappy-make.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If you can get him..you make room for a Poe.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Dontari No. He is a nose tackle. A starting one. We have one of those. Need to look to lock up Tuitt. Poe will get payed from someone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

We have a few of every player at every position....We don't have a Poe at NT. Even if we did....Two Poe's are better than one.

HACK

10. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    This. Times about 50 million. Honestly I'd even be willing to trade Robert Golden for him.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hargrave is the future, not going to throw a ton of money at Poe.

Throw a ton of money at a edge rusher instead.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    OK what's plan B when they don't?

13. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    I remember how good we were when we we had a real NS [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You also realize offenses even then did not run sub pacakge sets the way they do now?

Different era's require unique people. "Big Snack" was one of those people. Javon is still a nose tackle... but is a prime representation of the evolved need of nose tackles who are not just space eaters but also pass rushers as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

For the edge rusher or nose tackle?

16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    For if they can't lure an established edge rusher in free agency. Because then we are talking about drafting one in the late first round and hoping he can step in an make an immediate impact on a defense that has a well established history of being difficult to master, or finding a late round gem that is more polished than he appears and can step in and make an immediate impact on a (you get the picture) or they would actually break with decades of tradition and simplify the defense in order to let talented players play to their strengths.

Plan C would be to sign Deebo to a short term deal and hope his fountain of youth holds up

Plan D would be to sign Jarvis Jones to a new deal and have some sort of hope that he becomes more like Porter, Woodley, Harrison and so on then he is like Clark Haggins or that Stephen Johnson and Arthur Moats suddenly become edge rushing threats the likes of which haven't been seen in the NFL.

The only reason I started the thread was to explore everyone's idea that they switch to a 4-3 or at least a hybrid sub package that would put four Dlinemen in a package that would allow for some creative play design and no force them to reach on an edge rusher in the draft and make his rookie campaign into a must be unbelievable one.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Of all the late one edge rushers... best bet would be either Charles Harris or even Carl Lawson.

Issue is... Lawson has to medically check well with the Steelers in order for him to be a selection.

Add the fact that the previous two edge rushing players in Dupree and Jones were in the SEC and some signs could lean in that direction should Pittsburgh not elect to nab an edge player in free agency.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    but does that put them in position to have a guy ready to play and play at a level they need? If they really are serious about making a splash in FA and going all out to win it all? Do you hope to build through the draft and hope against hope that your rookie edge rusher bucks the trend and gets the 3-4 like no one ever has before? Do you look at alternate scenarios that play to your coaches back ground? As I stated in the first post signing Poe and going to a hybrid 4-3 sub package means they don't have to make edge rusher a top priority in the draft or rush their development. This is of course if Ingram is the the top candidate that Rizzo keeps pimping him to be and they don't get him with a reasonable offer and the tour of the hardware. Then make a play for Poe

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Lawson is one of the most talented rushers in the draft. He will be quite fine fitting into here.

As for Poe.. a hybrid 4-3 is nice but who do you take out?

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I think you leave Tuitt and Heyward as DE's have Poe as DT with Hargrave. Keep Shazier at ILB and then Have Dupree at Outside and then you can look at Timmons as the other if they resign him or Moats and Johnson or Chick. It is a thought otherwise having Poe allows them to use Hargrave to give Tuitt and HEyward a breather as well

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Have Dupree as an outside 'backer huh?

Hmm... I commend your aspirstion to get Poe on the team.. but there is one glaring weakness with said approach.

While Dupree can cover... he is best suited to get to the passer. Besides, while Tuitt can generate heat, he also is best suited inside where is can utilize his full power.

Rushing the passer from the edges is something he can do but is not his strong suit.

22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The beauty of the players they have though is the ability to rush the passer and drop into shallow zones or set the edge and be a run stopper. There are people on here saying that Dupree could play DE in a 4-3, is it a huge leap to have him play OLB or DE in a sub package? As far as Tuitt they moved him all over during one game and he showed he could do everything all along the line and they have been trying to generate more pass rush from the front three which includes Tuitt and Heyward so is giving them a 4-3 look outside the realm of possibility? I remember huge discussions I had with people on the board several years ago about Ziggy Hood and how for a guy that was being touted as a pass rusher he seldom was able to disengage from the block and collapse the pocket which is where most people would come at me with what a DE is responsible for in a 3-4. Which was true except for when you are only rushing 3 or four guys and your DE's are part of those 3 or 4. If they are rushing 4 guys and Dupree is the only one supposed to get to the QB then that is a lot of pressure on one guy and the rest become more of a feint and teams will exploit that where as having all four as being a danger to collapse the pocket and apply pressure is the best way to approach it.

23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    At this point I am thinking outside the box and looking for ways to create pressure with the players we have under contract and ones they can potentially bring in. I'm not counting on the draft to provide an opening day edge rusher because we haven't seen it happen in Pittsburgh and have it be effective. Best case scenario is getting Ingram as an edge rusher in FA and returning the 3-4 to its glory, so next would be what else can we do.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Plan F for fail. What is it that you see that would even justify bringing him back? Haven't you seen enough? It's over and time to move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I see four years spent developing a 1st round pick on a team that is always reluctant to just give up on that kind of investment.