1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dontari Poe, Mike Adams, or Cordy Glenn at 24?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mrn6, Feb 18, 2012.

1. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If all 3 are available at 24 (which is highly unlikely), who would you pick?

I can't decide for the life of me. If we take Poe, he can only play the first couple of downs on defense. So I guess I would take Glenn. Also, I think all 3 can start on day one.

2. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I personally see OG as the biggest need...but there could be an OG there in the 2nd that could do just as good as Glenn.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Right now I wouldn't really be happy with any of them. I see NT as a much smaller need than OL, even though Hoke is gone and Hampton is a question mark. I feel like McLendon is a good stop-gap and we can find the long term solution in another round (already two first rounders from the last 3 years on the line as it is) or from somewhere else. I also think Casey will play for us this year, probably at a reduced salary.

OL is just too great a need. But Adams and Glenn both seem more like potential busts, and I don't like those in round 1. Then there's ILB and the secondary too. Right now I'm hoping for one of the following to slip through either to us, or within 5-7 picks so we can trade up:

David DeCastro, Jonathan Martin, Luke Kuechly. I don't see any of them making it to #24, but I can see one of them making it to #17.

Some guys I still haven't decided on are Mark Barron, who is growing on me, and Dre Kirkpatrick. Both guys that likely wouldn't start right away, but could be major hits by 2014. Peter Konz is another one. I need to be convinced he can switch to guard without skipping a beat, and even then I'm not sure I want him at #24. Hightower's in the same boat. But I would probably take any of those guys over Glenn and Adams.

4. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I dont want to swap 1st round picks with Cin. and then give them pick 48 and get what....pick 84?...Nahhhh Ill pass!!!

5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    snack, i saw that barron could drop like a rock. he just had or is about to have, double hernia surgery that no one knew about. :cool:

6. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Heath Miller Part II! Soft tissue surgery doesn't scare me nearly as much as a skeletal/connective tissue injury would. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on Barron at #24 due to this news, if he's our guy.

7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup. Of the three the OP mentioned I'd take Poe, due to the possibility of him being exceptional, but Glenn would be a close 2nd. However, A LOT of guys would have to be off the board for me to consider any of these 3 guys at #24. If we're considering Adams we'd be better off with bringing back Starks.

8. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    That's some interesting math there! :roflmao:

Anyway, in the great scheme of things, swapping a 3rd for a 6th or something like that usually means absolutely nothing when compared to getting one great player. If the difference between #17 and #24 was like the difference between Alan Faneca and Kendall Simmons, it'd be a bargain to give Cincy our 2nd and 3rd outright. I'm not saying that's the trade I'd make, I'm saying you can't just look at pick value and assume that's everything without taking the players into account. You'd pass up the best player at his position and the safest pick in the draft and someone widely considered to be a very, very special player and sure thing who happens to play our greatest position of need... for a 3rd rounder? The odds of a 3rd rounder busting are like 50/50, and the odds of him being special like Wallace are slim to none. Most likely you get a role player. If you have a chance to get a safe, special player where you need one most, and the cost is small, you take it.

9. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Why do people bring this up so often? Casey's only played 2 downs for a lot of his career... It's not a knock on them it's just strategy... and it's not even necessarily true. In 3rd and short situations he probably stays on the field.

If it came to this I'd take Poe. The other two have shown flashes for sure but were very inconsistent.

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would take Poe. The value as our first pick is alot better. You can fine quality guards/tackles in the second round but you can't fine that same quality for a NT in the second. You can also fine good value for guards/tackles in the 3rd round as well. They're probably two top NTs in the draft. We have a chance to get one of them.

11. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, I think the idea is that they play 2 out of 3 downs on average. If it's third down, but a running play is conceivable, he'll stay in. Heck, if it's third or fourth and a yard or less, or if the opponent is inside our 5 yard line, there will probably be two nose tackles in. And then there might even be times on third and long when he'll stay in and rush the passer, although that's been pretty rare in recent years.

But the other side of it is, what if we're playing a team that passes on us all the time? They play 3-5 WRs every play, or most plays. The result is we spend most of our time in nickel, and Casey might be on the bench on first or second down. So on average, you could say the NT plays 2 downs out of 3.

Some teams try to pass on us like crazy because they are very good passers and not very good runners, but over the last decade, most teams do it because they simply can't run against us. That's why I hate when people bash Hampton for spending so much time on the bench. "Oh, he's not that important, he only plays two downs." He's on the bench because he's completely reduced the other team's offense to one dimension. He's doing his job from the sideline! That's a good thing!! And it's pretty important. Teams often just completely give up on the idea of running against us, and that's a good thing. If I were playing a healthy Steelers D, I'd throw it 65 times and only run it on occasional draws or trick runs.

12. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  13. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    With the continuing emphasis of the passing offense and the pretty long term common way opponents attack our defense (air), I'm not really sure I put a #1 pick as our NT. We've got a lot of aging guys on defense, and I know Hampton is a question to return, but I'd rather see a short term plug like McClendon or a later round pick. I seriously doubt teams are going to change their game plan against us and start running the ball more. Offensive line is obviously and has obviously been a problem for us long term. I'm not sure if we don't have the scouting knowledge to pick good linemen, but we haven't done so great in recent history. That being said, I'm still not sure what our 1st round priority should be.

14. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I've been pondering this very question for almost a week now. After reading some responses here about Ol being a bigger need or NT won't play but for the 1st 2 downs and others I've come to this conculusion.

A STUD DL is more valuable than a STUD OL in my world.They're close but DL wins out. Also a potential STUD or possible future HOFer at any position trumps a position of need come draft time. Also work ethic and heart combined counts as much as pure talent does at this level and we don't know these factors at all.

In my draft I'd have to take Poe 1st. He could be a reggie white or a albert haynesworth. What I'm saying is he could be an unstoppable force anchoring our DL or he could be a very talented bust. I'm thinking he's gonna be a beast in the middle and with hampton and hoke being out or gone we're either gonna have to switch to a 4-3 or get another NT or our defense is really gonna struggle next year. I really don't want to hear we have McLendon and Hood @ NT either. Neither one of these guys are stout enough or strong enough or just plain and simple good enough to be our #1 anchor @ NT.

Poe just seems like that special once in a couple drafts dominant NT and it is a need.

Cajun-

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i just don't see how it's possible to have 3 first round picks and a high priced vet on the d-line and not have to cut somewhere else. do we bench keisel? heyward? ziggy? who? while our 102 million dollar qb takes a beating. this can only go on for so long before the human body says no more. he can't keep this up forever. we need a LG a LT and a combo C/G type guys in here to make this offense go. we need an ILB or two. we need some safety help. we need another corner. we need a FB. we need another TE. we need some more athletic guys all around. NT is not the only guy to stop the run with. :cool:

16. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    But mac daddyo,

If we get Poe in the 1st, and come back with a stud guard and a tackle in the 2nd and 3rd round we could be just as effective. FB and a TE can be had later. The games are won and lost on the line.

17. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    The problem mrn6 is that we have drafted OL 2nd round and later with little success in recent history. It's a good concept to find a "stud" guard in the 2nd / 3rd, but practically speaking we've not been able to do that in the past, hence the piecemeal OL we currently have.

18. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Actually, we've only taken 7 o linemen in the first three rounds of the draft in the last 13 drafts. 3 of them started on our o-line this year (Starks, Pouncy, and Gilbert). Kendall Simmons and Marvel Smith both started on a Super Bowl winning team, but had their careers shortened by injuries. That leaves Trai Essex (a serviceable back up) and Kraig Urbick (the only one that could be considered a bust, but good enough to start for Buffalo). So there are good to excellent guards and tackles available in the 2nd and third round. If we wait til the 4th and fifth, however, we probalby aren't going to find any starter quality linemen.
    Probably should be pointed out, just to kind of agree with 58stillers, the last time we won the Super Bowl with a strong running game, we had four first round o-linemen starting (Smith, Simmonds, and Faneca, with Hartings being a first round draft pick of the Lions).

19. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I vote for Glenn. Scouting reports for Poe say he is lacking in pass rush. If we're looking for bodies just to fill up the lane, then get those in the later rounds.

20. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I was underwhelmed with Mike Adams performance at the combine, not that it counts for much, but seriously 19 reps of 225 at his size? No way in h3ll that cuts it as a 1st round NFL lineman. It might just fit into our weak OL scheme, but I can't see drafting Adams after his showing.

21. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    I would take Poe, we need that good push up the middle to help free up the OLBers. Remember a few yrs ago when Hampton was kick'in look how much more the LBers were in the backfield.

22. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    the problem they will be all gone by the pick 24

23. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    What a difference a week makes. Adams will be there at 24, other two probably won't be. But Adams combine wiped out the gains that he's made since the senior bowl. Have to look in another direction.