1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Don’t Trust PPF

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, May 16, 2022.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I complain about players when they’re actually terrible. As is the case with the our latest ol signing. It was pointless. He probably won’t even make the 53

2. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I view everything with a certain amount of skepticism particularly nowadays.
    That goes for here, there, and everywhere. Agendas are just beneath the surface of all things IMO. Today more than ever.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

?!

I guess so?! I do not understand your question here.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    PFF is what it is. If they say "X is 27th best LB for tackling an RB after they've broken 2 tackles first", then that can be interesting in the right context.

On the other hand, the "eye test" is hardly the most reliable, as has been shown hundreds of times on here. Once people have made up their mind about a player, more often than not they interpret actions to suit.

The classic in recent years is that our defense gives up big 3rd down conversions. We can all point to the times it's happened, but the stats say we're upper-mid table in preventing them.

The two are correctives for each other, in a way. It's a mistake to do one without the other, as both have problems.

As for the question of bias in PPF's data, well, it's still captured by the human eye, and they're looking at very specific things. But I doubt CC is pushing some anti-Steeler agenda in how the stats are presented. It wouldn't be a particularly sound business decision, for one thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I scan the stats; I'm not saying they are useless. They do shed some light on what to look for.
    I know for myself, I can take a spreadsheet and make data say anything I want, many people can as well.
    That being said, I think PFF tries to do a good job, sometimes their formulas just aren't built to cover all scenarios.
    They are as good as any though.
    But one doesn't need stats to tell them that Tyreek Hill is a Bonafide threat on offense.
    So, I guess I fall into 'a little bit of stats mixed with some good old fashion eye tests'

What I don't like about stats:
    If you have an OT that faces 4 division foes with awesome pass rushers like TJ, (8-games)
    His grade isn't going to be great because those guys are exceptional, and there will be sacks.
    That AFC West OL is going to take a beating this year in stats.
    Conversely, a mediocre OT that faces so-so defenses, will do well.
    Next Gen stats seems to attempt to address that but falls short. But at least you will be in the ballpark about the matchups.

• Like Like x 1
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

how dare you use logic and reason! Burn him at the stake!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I just remember 20+ years ago when the new Madden Football video game was released that NFL Players and fans would go crazy about their ratings in the game. Most of them were not happy. I don't know if that is still a thing, but I remember watching a special on TV about NFL Players actually trying to bribe the Madden programmers to get better ratings for their player in the game.

Now days there is a lot of talk about player ratings on PFF.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 2