1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does this statement make sense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Feb 24, 2012.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was reading a Trib article this morning and a few of the comments by Colbert have me a little puzzled. Here is the first:

This is in relation to the Hines Ward situation then further down in the article this is stated:

Doesn't the second statement negate what he is saying in the first? I mean Batch and Lefty have come in at times to help the team out but is he really saying they would contribute more than Ward?

2. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think he is simply making the point that you need mentors as well as quality backups.

3. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I don't think they negate each other for the pure reason that the positions are totally different. God-willing, the backup quarterback will NEVER have to contribute on the field. Think of Cliff Stoudt of the late 70s. He was able to qualify for his NFL pension without ever playing a down. So, in the case of a quarterback, you're HOPING that the backup never has to play.

A wide receiver is different, because receivers shuffle in and out of a game. There are packages designed with various receivers in on the play. So, to keep an older wide receiver as a "quasi-coach" doesn't make sense if he cannot contribute to the offense.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He's not comparing them to Ward. His statement makes perfect sense.

Don't know why people are so hard on Batch. The guy plays well every time he comes into games and he's a consummate professional.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Some people love to pick on certain people, no matter what the facts say. Whether they have a vendetta or it's for attention, I have no idea. Dale Lolley went on and on about how terrible Batch was against St. Louis. There were a couple of bad throws, and the INT in which both he AND the receiver slipped, but overall I thought Batch did very well, and so did most people. Plus we won 27-0. He went on to say that if Ben was playing we'd have easily scored well into the 40s... yeah, because we do that so often even when Ben is healthy. And just 6 days prior Ben had put up a whopping 3 points and turned the ball over like it was going out of style.

People are morons.

I'm not saying Batch is great or anything, and yes he's injury prone, but he's done nothing but good things for us since he got here. I maintain that if he'd played the whole 2006 season, we'd have reached the playoffs and probably more. I get that he's a backup, but I don't see why people bag on him. Leftwich either.

6. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know why people keep leaving a QB off our draft needs lately.... We need a young one in soon if Dixon isn't our guy.
    What spot do we grab one?

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    we took 2 qb similar to dixon a month ago

8. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    the problem with drafting a QB to take over for Big Ben now is 2 fold he has easily 4-6 years left to play and if you get a great backup like the Packers have in Flynn they want to leave after a couple of good outings in relief.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't want to seem like I am being hard on Batch or Lefty but when he makes the statement that he wants to make sure a veteran contributes to wins and then says they have offered contracts to two guys who saw spot work in the last two years. It is like saying sorry player A even though you have done X,Y, and Z for us you seem to have lost a step and we don't know if you can help us to win games anymore. However we will sign player B to a contract even though he has been hurt the last two years and will see spot work but that is a totally different situation. It does seem to say two different things or at least it does to me.

10. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not sure if you were referring to my post or not, but I never said to take over for Ben, I said to back him up effectively.

Yes, Batch has been great, but he was playing with Unitas!

I'm always worried if ben goes down. His biggest asset is also his biggest weakness. The ball in his hand. He's not a kid anymore and has a lot of miles on that body.

I'd love to have GreenBays problem. They can trade that guy for a number one. I wish we had that ace with a BACK-UP!

11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't like it but understand what he is saying about ward.I would keep batch,no doubt,but lefty has got to go.DD has to force lefty out and under Haley watch this guy's game come out of nowhere.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we did sign jerrod johnson and troy smith. johnson was texas A & M qb. he got hurt before the draft that year and went undrafted. he's 6-5 251lbs. he had a throwing shoulder injury and it's now healed. he was pretty good at A&M. :cool: