1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone here have a feel for what cap money we will have next year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Is there any chance we would enough to make a play for a top flight offensive lineman and an inside linebacker? I'm not up on the finances in the NFL but would appreciate some input.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Over the cap has us at like 34 million with only 36 players under contract. That means we need 17 players signed to the 53 within that money. Could save 10 million by cutting Olszewski and Trubisky. Plus any restructures and stuff... seems like we will have some money but not a ton

• Like Like x 3
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Currently the cap for the Steelers is under $34 Million. That said, in terms of FAs?! I could not tell you as of current.

Regarding the ILBs, Tremaine Edmunds is all I can think of. That said, I expect Buffalo to make a play to keep him. No Left Tackles to be found sadly as even very good ones rarely see FA; often signed up long term.

Now, this can all change for certain. Truth be told though, I am not holding my breath in terms of Offensive Lineman. Corners the same. Do not see much value there and/or too expensive.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I guess at tackle there is Orlando Brown, Jack Conklin and Isaiah Wynn. ILB is obviously Edmunds at the top, but Kwon Alexander would look good in B&G. Walker is coming off a torn quad but he could be a somewhat cheaper option. I think re-signing Sutton would be our best option at CB. Vonn Bell would be a great get at SS.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Orlando Brown will likely get resigned again. Conklin is a Right Tackle while Wynn is not much better than Moore. Safety though is interesting though I would expect the team to attempt to sign Edmunds long term. Who knows?!

Might have the Edmunds bros. in here.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Terrell shouldn't be brought back next season, he's a liability in coverage.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Tre Norwood looked lost in Year Two worse than Terrell ever did. If anything, Terrell being back does more good than harm.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The same Terrell the Browns picked on for 2 TDs, no thanks let him leave after the season.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Tre would have been worse. For that matter and, in addition to the Browns game, the entire Defense was abysmal. They have been since TJ Watt went down... well... everyone except Minkah of course.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Teams generally don’t let good free agents go, unless they are too old or a headache.

It’s all about the draft.

11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm very much open to signing a pro bowl/all pro CB, if one would want to come here of course. Probably will go after a vet journeyman to back up Kenny, assuming Mitch gets cut.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt that will happen, those type of CBs cost around 20 million a year.

13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    That's fine with me. We have the space. That's the beauty of qbs on rookie deals. Let's take advantage of this and build a roster around him.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I still don't see it happening even if they have the cap space, they will want to spread that money around, they will have a lot of holes to fill on the roster.

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    All these players say “Tomlin is their favorite coach” Complain about HC diversity. Yet, I don’t see us landing any big name FAs or anybody taking pay cuts to come play for Tomlin.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Idc if he is left or right, we just need a good tackle. We can always put Chuks at left... If Edmunds only costs 2.5-3m a year, I don't see why not. Even if he is only in on subpackages, I'd be fine keeping him around. Decent enough player. That wouldn't take us out of the market for a S. We can easily draft a SS too. I'd be pretty happy if we have the Edmunds bros. Signing an ILB of that caliber would help immensely. Plus we'd get to spend our top 2 picks on OL, DE, or S. CB would be great too (we need to sign Sutton) always can use a CB.