1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dobbs vs Rudolph (If need be)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Nov 10, 2020.

Who can win the game?

Poll closed Nov 15, 2020.
  1. Dobbs

58.1%
  2. Rudolph

41.9%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

What I have been saying all of last season. This year it is no different. For that matter, I was horribly wrong about him being dependent on Big Ben. Why?!

No matter who it is at QB, Randy finds new ways to 1-UP himself in being oblivious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dobbs is smarter than the OC he has been giving Ben the better advice IMO .. In case Ben is out just lock the OC in the equipment closet for the week and let Dobbs develop his own game plan ..

Also we just played the Rats so surely Dobbs ran the zone read Offense for the practice squad he can start with that as about 25 percent of the plan..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Did you forget the green font? Do you really think Dobbs telling Roethlisberger how to play quarterback in the NFL? I know some people here have an odd infatuation with Dobbs, but that's a bit over the top.

I know Dobbs is intelligent, at least in the academic sense. That doesn't always translate to the football field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I never noticed that Dobbs has an amazing resemblance to John Travolta.

5. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Dobbs is not telling Ben how to play but I believe Ben relies on Dobbs to point out things that he may have missed. I see Ben developing the same relationship with Dobbs that he had with Batch.

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Randy is too predictable. We score when Ben has to go no huddle. Very basic formations and when it’s not working he doesn’t even seem to change it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    No infatuation with Dobbs on my end. If Ben is on the shelf this week, it's quite clear Rudolph starts, Dobbs is the back-up. Dobbs, with his running ability adds a unique dimension if Fichtner/Canada can add a few wrinkles to take advantage of what he brings to the table. If they get one or two nice gains out of using him literally or as a decoy then all the better.

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dobbs told Ben that CB guarding Washington was coming up tight when Ben pump faked and that a pump and go to Washington was there this was games back now the same play worked again this week..Dobbs>Randy what has Fitch done ? Even Ben states we had to go school yard to move the ball ..I wouldnt want Fitch near a game plan I would send him out for Coffee everyday or something..

9. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    I don’t think he is either, I’m just stating what the staff has been saying. Some people seem confused thinking dobbs might start if Ben is out.

10. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Maybe Dobbs should get promoted to O coordinator.

11. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Agree completely, might as well mix it up and see what we have with both.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What evidence do you have to support that claim?

Batch was able to do that because he had experience. Batch started 46 games in the NFL before he came to the Steelers. Dobbs has taken more than one significant snap in an NFL game exactly once. He was also playing during Roethlisberger's second through eighth seasons in the league, a time when he would have needed more help than he does now. It is ludicrous to suggest the relationships are the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You missed PWP’s Isaac Redman debacle a few years back. His predictions are beyond ridiculous.
    DHB playing Safety. Lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Dobbs should be an upgrade in Fitchner's wildcat formation.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats just wrong, man :lolol:

Still have no idea why they didn’t cart him off.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    They have no running game. Defenses will be stacking the box daring him to throw and we know how much of a statue and lack of pocket awareness he has.

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I stated Redman would make the team and he did . I stated that Redman would help us win games and he did .. I did make bold predictions about yards per carry but that is if we went with a man blocking scheme instead of a zone blocking scheme..We did not..Redman didnt flunk out he had a career ending injury..On to the deep Safety..

This Team didn't have a guy then we still don't have a guy now .. DHB made some great open field tackles on ST'S and some TD saving tackles on INT'S .DHB could get behind the Defense consistantly showing his speed , his Team mates wouldnt even let him in their races in practice saying he was the fastest player on the Team without a doubt....

What does this Defense need ? A player who can play deep has a lot of speed to cover the ground while the ball is in the air and a guy with speed who can run down people when their in the open field , a guy who can jump and high point balls to disrupt passes .. DHB checked the boxes for a Single High Safety ..

Oh and we also had a WR at the time that we cut and he went to another Team and became a starting CB and we needed CB help at that time as well.. So if we missed converting him it is very possible we missed converting DHB to Single High as well ..

We have a WR right now who could play the deep Safety spot better than any DB we have on the roster yet we will continue to watch our guys get burnt deep right down the middle..

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I hate to say it but until someone can explain to me why Futchner has any merit, I think the guy is a pure liability!

Last week the short crossing routes were open and working. When MR comes in, Futchner calls plays that either hadn't been run or hadn't been working.

I think if MaHomes was our back up he would be hard pressed to win if he couldn't ignore Futchners play calls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Fitchner might be worse than Butler. That’s really saying something.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He’s awful. I truly believe that’s why we start so damn slow. Butler and randy are the coach’s buddies though

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    The scripted first half plays by Fitchner seemed better early on but now it seems the only time we score is when Ben is going hurry up 5 wide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    No mention of DHB intercepting a pass PWP, this guy was a 1st round wr. :shock:

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben always starts slow. Has anyone checked to see why we're punting early & often? Is it the plays or their execution? I haven't but i do know Ben gives it the little extra when he has to. Like when we are losing w/o much time to go.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I applaud you for still trying to make the ridiculous argument regarding Heyward-Bey playing safety. Seriously. Your determination and/or sense of humor makes me smile.

Still, the idea that Dobbs, with virtually no game experience, is advising 17th-year-veteran Roethlisberger the same way Charlie Batch advised a young Roethlisberger is a fine attempt at comedy, but nothing more.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Part of the problem is the running game has been terrible of late. It was one thing to struggle there against the Ravens, but the Cowboys' run defense is awful. The Steelers gave up on it way too early. They also took away far too many of Conner's snaps and handed them to McFarland for some reason.

• Agree Agree x 1