1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you watch the combine at all?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by lloyddestroy, Feb 19, 2015.

1. lloyddestroy

lloyddestroy Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I peak in on it once in a while, but, to be honest, it's mostly just boring. I do like to see who is tearing it up, and shooting up the charts, but those work out warrior types - who didn't produce much on the field on the college level - usually are busts. Remember when Mike Mamula was all the rage from his combine workouts? He never amounted to much of a player at Philly.

I guess I rarely watch more than a few minutes of the actual combine at any one time. I do like hearing about the trends and such, but to watch a guy run a 40, a QB throw to other rookies and guys catching the ball...pretty boring.

Did anyone see how fat Winston is right now? He's a true idiot. That gut is gonna cost him millions. Why let yourself go right before the combine? More evidence that this kid just doesn't get it. I would be nervous to draft this guy.

[video=youtube;KaRUcEmnsPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaRUcEmnsPU[/video]

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    They used to say Ben "carried a gut", as I recall... not that that's particularly relevant to anything.

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    The one I like to watch is the DBs. You can definitely tell how fluid a guy is by some of those drills. Darq. Dennard from MSU looked stiff last year and that confirmed that I didn't want him drafted by the B&G.

Short shuttle on the off lineman is another one for good feet.

4. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    Ben was relatively trim at the combine though. He has added some gut here and there. But it doesn't hurt his game, as a matter of fact, with the way he stands in there, having some extra weight has probably helped him avoiding getting more injured. Ben is better served being a little beefy. He could take it too far, and may have bordered on it some seasons, but Big Ben ain't called Big for nothing.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    To LloydDestroy... I think that's when Winston was reported to be weighing in around 248. He weighed in at 231 today. Must've worked pretty hard to drop all that weight in a short period of time.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I always wait to see if someone is finally honest in the Q&A interviews with coaches and GM's. Just someone to say no I wouldn't like to be a Cleveland Brown, hell no I don't want to play for Oakland.

7. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Looks like he was wearing a pretty tight belt or something in that photo as well, which makes the gut appear much bigger.

I used to watch all I could of the combine, but I was always irritated about the lack of coverage of the drills. Too much coverage of the NFLN desk and such, panning away to press conferences when the OL drills are going on, that kind of lame stuff.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'd rather watch golf on tv than the combine and I don't even like golf.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I love watching the drills, but don't particularly care for the 40 and other assorted measurable tests.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    no ...i wait for the numbers

11. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Hell
    you don't even have to go to a sport site to see that photo
    it's old as hell and the QB coach explained why it looked that he had a gut

by the way
    what is the intrigue of a photo of a belly of anyone at anytime?

anyschway it had already been explained weeks ago

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Mostly this. I'll look for particular players I'm interested in but to watch player after player is kind of boring.

13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Although it maybe a good tool for the scouts and coaches to gauge a players physical ability by I find it mostly pointless in that they should know their play making ability by how much live game tape that they probably already have viewed.

Example.... You already know that Jameson Winston is a head case but has tremendous natural ability. The Scouting combine aint gonna change that one iota. You can interview him til the cows come home with him giving all the PC answers but there is no doubt he is very loosy goosy upstairs and fame a fortune usually enhances those traits.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    heard he's been training with casey Hampton.:shrug::smiley1::cool:

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    true, but there has to be something said for looking a guy in the eye and asking him the tough questions. I heard the Patriots even had interview tapes viewed by the FBI to get clues on facial recognition patterns, etc. A bit extreme yes, but I would settle for my instinct on his reaction. I've done a lot of interviews in my career and you would be surprised how your gut instincts are usually right. And my trade is nowhere near the scrutiny of the NFL or law enforcement. Just a blue collar deal.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it's fun to watch them run and all but the best part is the drills of agility for me. guys that are in key positions such as corners and edge rushers you can get a feel for their quickness. a lot of guys train to run the 40 quicker but there is usually a difference in quickness from point A to point B that doesn't always show up on film. a corner for instance, when that receiver makes that out cut, how quick can that corner recover and get there as he's running with him. makes a big difference in coverage ability at the next level. that kind of shows up in some of these drills. footwork and how fluid it is can be seen and stands out from one guy to another.:cool:

17. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    That would be awesome.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Anyone keeping tabs on this kid out of Hobart? Supposedly turned heads at the senior bowl and now had the fastest 40 time of all OLinemen. Played OT but they are talking guard or center. Anyone know where he is projected maybe a midrounds steal.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Ali Marpet 6'4" 310lbs. He looked very athletic for sure in drills. Not sure of his strength, but I would guess mid to late rounds. Just because he played DIII ball, teams may be skittish.

20. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    First time ever a Hobart player was invited to the combine. Good numbers all around. 30 on the bench and one of the lowest 10 yard splits in the group.

21. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    I just heard him speak about it. He admitted he ballooned up to 248 (more like over 250) from his playing weight of 230-235. His reason given was "I like to eat and I was eating junk food." Fact is, as Bill Polian said, you might be hesitant to draft a guy in the first few picks who got so fat at such a young age. It's yet another, albeit small, red flag that this kid just has immaturity issues. BB gun fight, stealing crab legs, stealing pop, screaming "I will F --- her right in the P---y" from atop a table at lunch (while being investigated for sexual assault)....I don' think I could use a super high pick on him with so many warning signs.

22. lloyddestroy

Feb 6, 2015
    In all honesty, not only would this ensure Browns or Raiders won't take you, but other teams might blackball you as this would be politically incorrect.

23. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Erm... yes. That's why I'm sure thorn was being entirely serious.

24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I know these are basically a job interview but if it was me I'd say nope I want to be a Steeler. Now yes that would hurt your chances at employment but could save years of fustration. I mean I know Thomas and Mack are financially compensated but the years of playing for a laughing stock have got to wear on a person.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    heck, I'd tell them I want to play for the pats where the rules don't apply.:lolol::cool: