1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want Ben as our starting QB in 2021?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Is Ben going to be taking his talents to South beach?

[​IMG]

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben is such a big cap hit either way i would go with him until 2022 no extension. I think he will be our best shot next year but also think he can't play 16+ games anymore. So I'm torn but think they should draft some linemen & a rb this year, worry about replacing Ben next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If Ben comes back, you’re hoping his arm still wasn’t right after surgery and that an additional offseason gets him to where he needs to be to play at a high level still.

That’s a lot to hope for with a big cap hit. His 19 mill or whatever that number is could be put to good use.

Haven’t voted yet but think it’s going to be “no”, as hard as it is to imagine Ben not leading the team. Scary thought in itself but his last 6 games were even scarier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
  5. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I really struggle with what a lot of PFF. says.....not talking about this article...but some of the rankings during the years they've been around. I have literally seen them...Example...rank a Qb that threw 3 picks ( Dak Prescott) and no Tds ....ran one in, and lost the game ...above a Qb that threw 2 td, no picks , and won. Makes no sense 2 me. ...and I watched the game ...not just going by stats. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah it’s not for everyone. I listen to their podcasts sometimes in the car and read their site. Their grades are calculated by film study of each and every play, so a receiver that is getting open but not targeted might grade well, while a QB that might get bailed out by their playmakers making incredible YAC plays might not grade as well as expected. I can understand the scepticism. They do put out some interesting content though.

Steelers fans have long complained about Pouncey grading so poorly in their system over the years and they addressed this recently on one of their podcasts, they said it was down to erratic snaps and poor run blocking among other things.

The piece I shared above is more opinion based than analytical, I just thought it mirrored a lot of what certain posters have been saying on here and some people may be interest to read it

• Like Like x 2
  8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Time for Mason era until he actually proves or disproves he can get the job done. He looked better this year in a very small sampling. We cannot cast him off until we know what he can do. He could be hot garbage or maybe he can get the job done. If we dont shore up a run game it wont matter much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    As painful as it will be. Tell Ben thanks for everything, but it's time to start the next chapter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Hard to disagree. We need to rip off the band aid now so that we have a chance to be back in championship contention in 2022 or 2023.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    No i disagree. Start the new chapter in 2022 when the possibility of losing Ben, Colbert & maybe (hopefully?) Tomlin is a perfect setting for changes.

The added bonus is Mason is NOT our franchise qb.
    Rudolph franchise qb...:facepalm:

12. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Um, a 1st Ballot HOF QB
    An 11 consecutive wins season
    A playoff birth
    Conference Champion
    33 TDS
    NFL Passing Record in playoff
    Price Tag 19 M

Sign me up!

and you want to replace him? With who?
    Our time would be better spent on providing an incredible run game to compliment the passing bombardment this dude brings. Imagine adding a Chubs to the 500 yards of passing in that game. Repeat it out loud, 500 Hundred Yards of passing!

It doesn’t matter if he messes up in almost 70 throws, pressing it trying to comeback from some errors from others.. Most of those are on the receivers that had their hands on that ball. As long as this man is on the field, can throw a ball, and has receivers that can catch, you have a shot. Now, add a spectacular running game. Look Out!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    With who? A QB that can get user center and utilize play action. A QB that can roll out and make a throw. A QB that can scramble. A QB that can run a QB sneak. The legend of Big Ben is great and all, but unless he can do these things he’s not going to win us a championship. Time to move on.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Ben has no mobility whatsoever. If he doesn’t throw a 2 yard slant or out he will be pressured and throw a pick or incompletion. I think the book is out on him at this point. Will only get worse from here on out. The late 6 games besides the Colts second half were some of the worst offensive football you will ever witness. He can still go out on a decent overall season. Take the high road Ben don’t do it!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    I hope this out of shape slob who's looking to get out of practice every chance he gets comes back to get embarrassed of the field every game next season. He's the worst Qb in the division. He will be the laughing stock of the league, like he was in the playoffs. He signed a $70 million dollar contract and cant afford a treadmill. Remember before the season this is the best his elbows felt in 10 seasons. F%uck this guy.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You know L. Jackson has all the mobility in the world....does alot of play action...how that go 4 him in the playoffs...what was the last game ....3 points?

17. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Lamar looks like a guy who can win you a bunch of regular season games but come playoff time when teams scheme him to throw?? I don’t think I’d be comfortable as a Ravens fan with him long term. Once those knees start breaking down he is cooked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    A QB that can roll out and make a throw??? What are you smoking?
    He’s what, one of two three QBs in the ENTIRE history of the league in passing yards in a game! Why try to find what you already have? We should be adding a ground (run) game to compliment the air bombardment. Whad he throw for, not quite 4K yards or somewhere near that?

Do you think you’ll draft/find that kind of arm this year.? Who?

19. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Don’t know anything about Newman apart from a few snippets that I have read, never seen him throw a ball. I think they were suggesting him as somebody you could take a flier on a bit later in the draft, sit him behind Ben / Rudolph and see if he develops in to something in time.

That’s probably what they have in mind for Haskins now.

21. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I remember this. I was listening to sports talk during an hour and a half ride to the dirt track races and that was all they talked about. As a non pro basketball fan I was both fascinated and repulsed that one player could command that much attention.

22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    They'd still be competitive with him the first half or so of the season, then what? More of what we saw the last six games this year? Even if they manage to rebuild a respectable running game and are still able to pass protect, he's going to do what he wants to do. 70% shotgun offense, which mean rb's getting the ball 7 yards behind the l.o.s. and an overall unwillingness to QB sneak and run PA. No thanks, time to move on.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Smoking reality.
    Yeah Ben has some great achievements and I appreciate them, but he’s done.
    I like how you didn’t address play action or QB sneak.
    And incase you haven’t noticed his arm wasn’t that great this year.
    It’s over. Time to move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. D0bre Shunka

Jan 24, 2012
    His arm wasn’t that great? He’s in the record books as one of the game’s leading passers and that’s in the very last game alone! And he did this coming off of major elbow surgery. I think he’ll be back and dangerous,
    I Would add a Run Game to help!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He threw 50+ times a game. He can’t get under center anymore for whatever reason. That’s a huge problem for our running game. No QB sneak. Huge disadvantage. I love Ben for what he’s done for the team, but his positives are outweighed by his negatives.

• Agree Agree x 1