1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think we can have two 1K Rushers this year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, May 2, 2024.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I believe we can.

I watched a highlight of Warren and Najee’s runs last year and the amount of yards after contact was insane. I also watched the WR’s blocking and honestly it wasn’t very good. GP would literally jog off the line many times if it was a run play completely telegraphing that it was a run play.

I just don’t see Arthur Smith letting that slide. With better blocking this year with all of the new talent. A run heavy scheme and accountability all around I can’t see how we don’t improve off of last years numbers. Najee hit 1K last year and Warren had around 750 yds.

The other thing I noticed watching the RB highlights is the amount of poor tackling by many of the defenses in todays NFL. I understand both Najee and Warren are tough to bring down but the lack of effort or poor technique was so evident. Especially some of the defensive backs. I think the NFL has so heavily emphasized the pass game that you have CB’s coming into the league with coverage as their primary talent with very little skill in defending the run partly because they haven’t had too.

I think focusing on having a run heavy offense is really smart when alot of the defenses today are built to focus on the pass game. Better to Zig while everyone else is Zagging. I have no doubts we will be really successful with the run game outside of our division. Within our division you have three run heavy teams so the defenses are a little more prepared to play the run.

If everyone stays healthy, I could really see this being a top 5 run offense and top 15 offense overall this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    It's entirely possible over a 17 game schedule. The only things that might stop it from happening is Patterson might get a few carries a game or if Fields ends up being the QB he will carry the ball at least 10 times a game.

3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Possible but I don't think it will happen....Like 800 rushing yards for Warren,1100 for Harris

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    I think it's possible . If those two had nearly 1750 last year, I'm thinking if they get some good plug and play from the youngsters that's not much of a reach. One form of tackling has also been jettisoned from the game.

5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It is possible, just for something to shoot for, 4.3 average at 15 carries a game over 17 games is 1150 yards. Now I do not think both get 15 carries per game, but that shows a doable scenario for both to get 1000 yards.

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Possible with Najee and Fields.

Just goofing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Najee- 1035 yds
    Warren- 785 yds
    Improved line so Najee isn’t getting hit 2 yards in the backfield, OC committed to the run, more play action so lbs at least have to think about it.
    Yeah, I could see 2 thousand yard rushers.

9. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    The one concern is we tried to run Najee in wide zone at the beginning of last year and he struggled. When they ran him up the middle in a gap scheme he flourished. The thing is he rand wide zone all through college and did great. So it is obvious we didn’t scheme or coach up the wide zone very well nor did we have the appropriate personnel to run it. Mason Cole wasn’t fast enough to cut off backside penetration and Najee often got chased down from the backside. Warren did a little better because he is quicker to the outside. You just need to have lineman that cn maintain the backside a little longer to allow the play to setup for Najee. The other thing is we were handing the ball off to Najee in shotgun with Najee at a dead standstill. When we lined the QB under center and Najee was 7 yards back it allowed Najee to get a running start and that made a huge difference.

10. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    No, a third guy out of nowhere gets carries this year. Najee will be all about load management this season.

11. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Absolutely possible. We have 2 good running backs and an OC that is expected to make them a bigger part of the game this year. I would even say it is inevitable (providing both stay healthy) unless our RB1 unleashes holy hell on opposing defenses this year, and I think that is a possibility. Our new O line looks very promising. If it can get to its on paper potential, it is going to really benefit Najee's power back style. If that does happen, I could see Warren being more of an 800 yard guy and Najee being well above 1500.

12. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt it. Harris still carried the ball over 100 times more than Warren in 2023. I expect that to continue. If anything, they won't worry about managing Harris's workload now that he is going to be a free agent after the season.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hate to say it, but If I was Najee, and I wasn't sure of my role for the following year.....I better nor get hurt at all, or many people will actually see what Warren being the starter would look like.

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That puts him in a difficult spot. He has to spend the season showing he deserves a big contract.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The last time a team had two 1000 yard RB's was 2009. Two 1000 yard RB's as rushers only happened 5 times in the Superbowl era (excluding QB's). The Steelers offense will have one to two new starters on the Oline (2 of those players might be rookies). They will have a new OC. 3 new QB's. Everything will be different to some degree for all of the players on the offense. I think it's going to take some time for the offense to grow.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
  18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    No

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes, but he doesn't have to play with injuries like He has before.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Possible?! Likely.

Doable?! TBD.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    With emphasis on the run it could happen, but IMHO would not be that significant if it does. 1000 yards meant a lot more when they did it in a 12 or 14 game schedule. 1000 yards represented over 83 yards per game in a 12 game schedule. In a 17 game schedule, it is about 59 yards per game. The new “1000 yard season” should be a little over 1400 yards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I do.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1k rushers means NOTHING today.

17 games, means nothing

sorry.....

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

it's a meaningless metric in today's games.