1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Ben wastes Time Outs?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SSylvester, Nov 28, 2011.

1. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Everyone does realize that the coaches can tell Ben to run the "fake/draw them offsides" play through the headpiece in his helmet, right? I doubt that Ben is calling this on his own, the play that is, not the timeout. I am also ok with the timeout call. Why give up 5 yards of fiels position, the punter is a pro too and should be able to get the ball inside the 5 or 10 without issue from midfield where he kicked it from.

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Nope.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You're right, the punter is a pro. That close to the opposing goal line, 5 yards of field position does not make it easier for him to pin the ball back there. If anything, 5 yards of "breathing space" might make it easier. This is the single most acceptable time to take a 5 yard penalty in all of football.

2nd half timeouts, however, can be critical to winning or losing a game. And this was a very close game. It didn't turn out that way for us because we won the game on D, but suppose KC had scored a TD with a minute to go. Now burning a timeout for NO reason hurts a lot, doesn' it?

4. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Really Homestead? Ben or any other experienced QB would never have that call as an option? I wonder how you can be so sure about that??

5. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
  6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    in our playground offense mistake like that are usual , every thing can happen because there is no plan