1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think Ben wastes Time Outs?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SSylvester, Nov 28, 2011.

1. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    How many failed attempts at trying to draw the opponent offsides will we have to see before Ben stops doing it? It's getting to be as predictable as our wide receiver screen. It's only worked once in my recollection and I don't know if it's Ben's ego that tells him he can do it with some regularity, but it's a low percentage play to begin with and that percentage decreases even more when you take away the element of surprise by DOING IT ON A REGULAR BASIS. Please, can we stop with this play already. We are letting teams linger so I would prefer to have that extra Time Out at the end of the game.

2. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A delay of game penalty instead of a wasted timeout would have been ok.

3. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Exactly. This is what I thought they were trying to do and then just take the 5 yard penalty back to the 44 and then punt. Why we actually took a timeout is beyond me. Was a complete waste.

4. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    could not agree more what a waste, duh, take the penalty

5. steelerdon

steelerdon Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Sometimes if we would go for it on 4th down,and try to get the first down.
    We might draw them off side once in a while

6. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, I agree. It's been obvious just about every time this year. My wife and I both look at each other on 4th downs with short yardage and say, "Here comes another attempt to draw the defense off-sides" and it happens just about every time.

7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Right? NO idea why they called timeout.... :frustrated:

8. Tantum Dic Verbo

Tantum Dic Verbo Member

Oct 29, 2011
    There are some things at which the Steelers coaching staff excels (I guess), but game management is not one of them.

9. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Ben isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. That TO last night was the worst I have seen in yrs. But it is not only that one. Ben consistently calls time outs at the beginning of qtrs or right after an incompletetion. Or at a time when there is absolutely no need to call one. He wastes TO's ALL the time. I fault him to an extent. But TOmlin has got to step in there and coach a bit. Tomlin himself is an awful game clock mgr too. So is BA. The 3 of them togehter create the perfect storm. It costs us half a game every single yr and when it comes down to playoffs, that cannot happen. Ben needs to stop the audible nonsense on every other play. It is ineffective. That said, he is still the best at what he does for the type of QB he is. Isn't pretty tho and beyond frustrating at times.

10. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I was pretty livid when this happened. No excuse for wasting a timeout in that situation. Tomlin has to know that TOs in the 2nd half are sacred. Worse yet we punt it into the endzone after the TO for a net gain of 19 (or so) yards. Take the delay and give your punter more room to kick...it's a no brainer. Does anybody know if Tomlin was asked about this and addressed it in the post game presser?

11. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    yep call timeout and still kick it in the endzone....bad series of plays

12. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You guys do realize that was from the coaches, not Ben?

The QB would never get the option of making that call, in that situation .

13. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree with everything. The blame on this goes to the HC. Ben is not good at making guys jump offsides.

14. HongKongFooey

HongKongFooey New Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I agree with you. I think Mike Tomlin would agree as well. In a few of his press conferences he has acknowledged being in the learning stage with some of those decisions.

15. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Yep. Ben and the coaching staff waste timeouts nearly every game.
    It doesn't drive me as crazy as the snapping of the football with <2 seconds on the play clock though.

16. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If we really want to fool them, we should go for it. No one will expect it.

17. BigBlockSteelers

BigBlockSteelers Active Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Always, he lets the playcolck run down, which is also not helping with the pass rush.

18. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Are you sure about this? I clearly saw Ben wave the special teams unit back to the sidelines. Why would he have to do that if it was the coaches call?

19. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes. I also think it's pretty well established that we have about the most predictable offense in the league. Most of the time everyone knows what we're going to do, including Ben's lame attempt to draw the defense off sides, but we keep doing it anyway. That's why we run the same few running plays (usually up the middle) and throw the same types of passes (bubble screens or long bombs). We score (sometimes) and win (often) not because we have a better game plan, or out coach, or have more creative plays than our opponents, but in spite of all those things. There's a lot of talent on this team, on both sides of the ball, and we win more often than we lose despite bad game preparation, despite bad game day coaching, despite bad play calling, and despite stupid mistakes. And that's why most of us are frustrated and emotionally exhausted after just about every game we play, even the ones we win. There, I had to get all that off my chest. :frustrated:

20. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben admitted that it was he who called the time out.

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Not always . This is a common incorrect statement by some members on this board. I watched it closely a few games ago and the clock very rarely went to zero before the ball was hiked

Bman

22. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Busman, you were watching a different game than me then. I constantly scream at the the center and Ben to center the damn ball
    The earlier guy was right. 99% of the time Ben calls for the ball on 01

23. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree here. Remember the punter would face half left or right and try to kick it out around the 5? Is that a lost art?

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Apparently so. Which has always surprised me. I mean, it's not like their kicking further by not practicing angled punts. And if you're going to get set at the 20 anyway, you may as well try...

25. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I agree with most of you on here that the 4th down - "try to draw the defense" strategy does not work - AND - to then waste a time out because it didn't work is even more ridiculous.

You would think that after doing that 3 or 4 times this year, the Steelers would get a play called. Then run that play out of the same formation. Make it seem like you're trying to draw the defense offsides - allow the d-line to get caught napping - and run a timing-pattern pass - or run the ball around the outside. It's something that would work at least the first time you ran it - AND - it would make the predictable attempt to draw the defense offsides more successful, because they would have to be ready for an actual PLAY - rather than just waiting for the play clock to expire.