1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you take Brock Bowers at 20 if he is still on the board?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Brice, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    With all these QBs jumping the line in the draft what happens if Brock Bowers is still on the board at #20?

Bowers is dropping like a rock, with all these teams jumping up and taking QBs. I am now starting to see multiple mock drafts where he is going at #18 to Cincinnati, or #21 to the Dolphins. I don't think Bowers worked out at the Combine or his Pro Day.

You know Arthur Smith would love to add Bowers to the WR/TE room.

If Cinci goes RT at #18 and 5 QBs go before the Steelers get on the clock, Bowers may be still sitting there at #20.

Arthur Smith spent time with Bowers at the Georgia Pro Day.
    https://steelersnow.com/pittsburgh-...add-mcconkey-brock-bowers-at-georgia-pro-day/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    While I don't think Bowers will drop to anywhere near #20, there are a lot of Georgia players I won't mind in the draft. Obviously Mims and Van Pran-Granger and McConkey on O, but their entire D backfield (Lassiter, Bullard, and Tykee Smith) is also in play in later rounds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Wouldn't mind having him. You would reset your 4 year clock on rookie pay scale, as that would most likely be the end of Muth. And he's a far superior athlete to Muth. Far more exsplosive.

He would probably be BPA, but it would be disappointing missing out on a lineman.

4. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    With the next pick after 20 just outside the top50, AND with how badly we NEED a Center, OT, ILB, or CB, I would pass on another TE. Just my opinion but a TE does not help us win now. Best in the draft or not. I think most scouting sites have him ranked as a top10 prospect so I get the appeal and understand the temptation. I vote no.

5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    How did you replace DJ? I don't see a NEED for a WR on your list, do you believe the #2 WR is currently on the team? I would immediately put Brock Bowers as TE #1 and WR #2 on this team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Yes you take him. Always draft the best players available if it's that glaring.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If he is available?! Man.... I would personally but Arthur Smith had a similarly graded Tight End by the name of Kyle Pitts. Bowers is more polished than Pitts but Pitts possessed far superior playmaking and game breaking Ability; namely due to his greater physical and athletic gifts. That said.... Pat Freiermuths contract is set to be an FA in 2025.

Should all the OT options be gone by then?!... hell with it. Pull the trigger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Ok. I still wouldn’t take any of the WRs at 20 either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Why not draft a 4th tight end? It’s not like we have any other needs

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    TBH Bowers is essentially a slot WR that plays TE. He probably doesn't fit in some team's offenses, but would be essential in others. I would be willing to bet his draft stock varies wildly from team to team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What if Marvin Harrison Jr or Malik Nabers were available at #20?

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hell no.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If either fall to 20, they were found with a live boy or a dead girl.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Tonka Smash

Tonka Smash Active Member

May 2, 2021
    He didn’t say you would. He’s saying you didn’t list WR in your top 4 needs. So you’re implying if Bowers is the pick at 20 the next four picks would be OT, C, ILB (lol), and CB. So you’re leaving WR untouched until the 6th round in this scenario.

15. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    No. I was only speaking on pick#20. I subscribe to the draft philosophy that in the 1st round you take either a QB, someone to protect the QB, or someone to get after the QB. Brock Bowers does not fit this philosophy. Some RBs are good in pass protections but I don't like taking RBs in the 1st round either. This only omits 3 positions from 1st round consideration really, WR, TE, and RB. Every other position is available. I understand not everyone agrees with me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tonka Smash

Tonka Smash Active Member

May 2, 2021
    So you’d take an ILB at 20? Since you called it out as a need and were only talking about the pick.

17. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Yes.

18. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    In theory I would take Bowers at 20, but Wilson has not been throwing in the middle of the field the past few years, so you may have a Ferrari, but no one to drive it. Fields may be the better fit, but I thought I read that his numbers in the middle of the field aren't much better. Because of who the QBs are, I may pass on him, but dang, Gronkowski and Kelce makes me want to have an elite TE.

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Ahh, but you are forgetting that one of the players the Broncos sent to Seattle in the Russell Wilson trade was their 1st round pick TE Noah Fant.

The Broncos did draft GREG DULCICH that year in the 3rd round to replace Noah Fant, but TE Dulcich only played in 10 games in 2022 and 2 games in 2023. Hard to exploit the middle of the field with your TE, when you don't have an NFL caliber tight end on the roster.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would like to see if the Steelers can(Develope) Darnell Washington?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  21. jasper04

jasper04 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Yes you do it!! Man I know we have some big holes, but you just don't pass on talent like that when it falls in your lap. He would be your WR for the draft. And I am a huge supporter of trading for Ayuik.

Allen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is one of the reasons I didn't love trading for Wilson. I read somewhere that no quarterback completed more passes at or behind the line of scrimmage than Wilson in 2023. He also doesn't attack the middle of the field all that much. Weren't those two major complaints about the offense the last few seasons? Also, Smith likes to attack the middle of the field, which is one of the reasons I thought he might be able to fix Pickett. Pickett did a lot of his damage in college throwing over the middle, then got away from that as a pro.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I agree. Tomlin and Canada made Pickett afraid to throw over the middle, but at the same time, Pickett wasn't willing to stay in the pocket to throw over the middle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Do you have an ILB that is ranked in the Top 10 of this years draft class?

25. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I certainly hope he goes before Cinci or Miami that would be highly dangerous.