1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we really want to keep Bell?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blitz_burgh, Jan 23, 2017.

1. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    This is a question that came into my mind as soon as he got hurt last night. I know he was an integral part of how we got to the AFCC game this year but the guy gets hurt every single year. I really feel that when he went out our game plan collapsed and they could never get back on track. I'm sure he's going to want a lot of money but at this point he is unreliable. Why he get's hurt every year I just don't know. Maybe it's his style of running that subjects him to more injuries. Maybe we let him go, sign Latavius Murray, use him as a power back and draft a good RB for the future?

Just thinking out loud. Love Bell but between his suspensions and injuries does he deserve for us to sign him for big money?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    The game plan was trash to begin with, but getting rid of Bell would be the dumbest move in NFL history.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, definitely. Those knee injuries would have happened to anyone, same for groin injuries.

As for the money, Steelers will work out a fair contract, if Bell is unreasonable, he won't be here. Im not worries about his contract.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You take away Bell and we are an 8-8 football team at best. Injuries happen to running backs it just happens.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. ColoradoSpringsSteeler

ColoradoSpringsSteeler New Member

Jan 23, 2017
    The Steelers offensive game plan went out the window in the first quarter when Bell got hurt. Bell averages 146 yards a game rushing and receiving. AB averages over 100. Pats won in part because they took AB out and Bell got hurt. The Steelers lost 250 yard of offense, when those players aren't producing.

6. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Absolutely !!
    Have you not watched the last 2 playoff games ..
    Who knows what he could have done last night ...
    He is the core of this offense that we must build around !

I'd rather lose Brown than Bell

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No WAY do we get rid of Bell

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Keep him. But I'm honestly concerned that I'll see the headline in the offseason "Leveon Bell suspended for 10 games for violating the league's policy on banned substances!"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Out of all the games to get hurt in, it had to be this one...smh

Also, the Pats defense came up with a decent strategy to slow him down, which is having the defenders "pause as well" and wait for Bell to make the first move. We'll see how much and effectively other defenses employ that strategy next season.

I'm as much a big fan of the 3 killer bees as anybody, but Bell and AB seems to "find a way" not to show up when we need them the most for the bigger games whether it be suspension, injury, sub par play, etc... and that's not a good look. Ben will show up, but is so often playing with injury and/or not totally on his game that it's a factor as well

And if it's not one of those 3, it's the lack of preparation, play calling, game management, and just bad coaching.

All the pieces just can't seem to come together

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Deangelo ran well vs pats.

We need a 1-2 punch at RB like falcons. 2 different styles to keep them on their toes. Bell's patience + a downhill runner like williams. BUT BOTH NEED TO PLAY

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    The first two knee injuries were just freak injuries and one was a targeted hit by Nelson. It's not like he was just running and got hurt. Keep him or be mediocore especially once Ben's time is up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Do we keep the best RB in the game? Is this really a question? We with out a doubt miss the playoffs with out him.

That 9 game win streak was on the back of Bell and our O-line. With out him we would have finished the 2nd half of the season like we did the first half. 8-8 would have been lucky.

We need to not spend $5million per year on TE's with concussion problems. We need upgrades on Defense NT, OLB, FS, and CB are IMO urgent problems. Ben is not the QB that can just carry our team. Our Defense improved dramatically as the season went on, mostly because the competition was crap....and also the resurgence of Bud Dupree and the acceptance that Jarvis Jones is garbage. The rookies helped also but it was when we finally started getting pressure on the QB and running the ball that we started playing good defense.

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    keep bell, o line, keep amping the D. we will be solid even when ben leaves, then hopefully get our next guy. WE WILL WIN ANOTHER within 10 years.

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think I would trade AB and try to fix the defense before Ben is gone...The young WR'S are coming on plus Bryant can be a monster as well..Ben is not the Ben of old and I think we should take him back to a game manager..To do that we need another good RB to back up Bell and we need 2 better CB'S and a better Safety .....

Brady shows year after year that he can get it done with no name talent on Offense so why can't the Steelers follow that model on Offense and stack the Defense ?

15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Wow do we have a thread like this every 2-3 weeks? To get rid of Bell is crazy I know I was worried that we aren't going to have enough money for Bell and AB, but I think I am wrong on that. With that said I know everyone is worried about the defense mostly the pass rush, but I say we draft a good RB some place in the range of rounds 3-5 and develop him into what Dwill is now. Heck I have been on the McCafferry bandwagon so I have no problem taking him early. Showing what the Steelers showed me I hope to go CB and S early since they won't send a pass rush when it matters...............................

16. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    That's part of my point I guess Deangelo did run well. There are other running backs out there like Murray who could do well. And like Steeler Empire said what happens when other D's figure out how to stop Bell? I personally think that if he wants big money that we should just let him go. If he works out a good deal then keep him.

17. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You take this same Pats team on the road and they would of lost. They were who we thought the we're Fired up!!! ready for blood a Steelers did not match that point blank!!!

18. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I think our offense is more potent when Ben is in charge and throwing, especially when our WR lineup was Brown/Bryant/Wheaton/Heath the two years before this one. We seem to score more points than we do when Bell is the featured piece and we give him 40 touches.

Now, I think Bell is more effective as a receiver out of the backfield. But if he is going to want 12-15 million a year to be the primary piece in our offense, I would have to think about it for a bit. RBs are prone to injury because of the beating they take.

Side note, I know he is old and not here much longer, but I really like the way Williams runs and plays. He always is moving forward and seems to try really hard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Do we want to keep the best RB in the league?
    Ummm............YES!

20. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I must have missed the other "should we keep bell" threads so I apologize for that. Getting rid of Bell does sound crazy but if you look at his injuries and suspensions (the next one is 10 games), the fact that Defenses will figure out how to defend against him, he will probably want big money, you have to entertain the possibility of letting him go. Don't get me wrong I want to keep him at a good price that doesn't break the bank. But there are other RB's out there that might not be as good as Bell but could be worth a look such as Latavius Murray in my opinion.

21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Is this a serious thread? I must have missed the green font.

We are all pissed about last night, but come on man!!!

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No apologies need bud, and sorry if I made ya feel bad about starting the thread. I just know there has been many talks here on this subject. It's all good man, however there is not another Bell out there to bring in. jmo

23. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Do you keep a once in a generation player who hasn't reached his peak yet? Yes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    The thought went through my mind when he first got hurt, not because I'm pissed at the outcome of the game. When I saw him on the bench I just said to myself "man it seems like this guy is hurt every single year or suspended" so I was just wondering to myself if the Steelers would think long and hard about paying him a lot of money. A lot of people think he is the best RB in the NFL. Adrian Peterson got a 7 year 100 million contract. So if Bell is better then Peterson does he deserve, with all of his injuries and suspensions a contract like that?

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Might as well say the same thing about Pouncey then too. We seem to lose him at the worst possible time. Heck, for that matter AB too. We can also count on Ben being out a few games every year too.

That doesnt mean you shop him around. Did you hear the commentators talking about Julio Jones yesterday? Dan Quinn said he was expecting Jones to disappear at some point due to injury. Instead Julio blew up the cheeseheads secondary. Goods teams find a way to win despite injuries but they darned sure don't get rid of their best players as a strategy to win. I just don't even understand where you are coming from on this.