1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we really want a first round bye??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Frick32, Nov 13, 2017.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Fire Tomlin! That would never happen to a Cowher-led team!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree. I give the Pats some credit, but those games were 90% choke by the loser, and 10% Pats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MaineSteelerFan

MaineSteelerFan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Playoffs is a different story, the Steelers will be ready.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Lol yup it was lame, but that’s just how life goes sometimes

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2017/10/why_has_the_2017_new_england_p.html

"You can't explain it," Harmon [Patriots safety] said. "We work hard. We practice as hard as anybody in the NFL, so for us to go out there and do what we do, it's really just a lack of focus. We just need to be more focused."

No doubt if a Steelers player had said that, people would be all over it around here, claiming that this was on Tomlin and the Pats would never say that etc.

6. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Apples and hamburger. If you're going to cherry pick to prove a point, at least offer something relative.

Harmon's quote was referring to their defensive struggles over the first four games of the season. This was one unit's struggles over the first month of regular season games.

I'm talking about YEARS of empirical data that every broadcaster, color commentary, and analyst has referred to as factual. This is a team-wide epidemic that is well known and documented.

But hey, since you brought it up, let's explore the "phenomenon" that occurred over the first four games in Foxboro. Did it get corrected? How's the Pat defense doing now?

That's right...THEY FIXED IT. PROBLEM SOLVED. NO ONE IS LAMENTING THE WOEFULL PAT DEFENSE THAT CAN'T STOP ANYONE.

How about our problem that has been going on for years? Still the same.

Thanks for proving my point.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tomlin is 9-4 after a bye (including playoffs)as a head coach. That's ranked 7th place since he became a head coach in 2007.

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    IMO, it is not even close I want the bye...I want that #1 seed! If we get the #1 seed that will mean we finish this season strong which also means most likely both the O and D play pretty darn good. I will take that and let every thing come thru Da Burgh!!!!!

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tomlin in his time as a head coach ranked against others during the same time period:
    3rd best winning percentage overall.
    7th best after a bye
    4th best after a win
    2nd best after a loss
    3rd best at home
    2nd best on the road
    7th best when favorite
    2nd best when an underdog
    18th best as a road favorite (still a 63.3% winning percentage)
    3rd best as a road underdog
    3rd best in conference games
    2nd best in non conference games
    4th best in Division games (better than the other teams in our division)
    9th best in playoff wins

The only issue is the ranking when a road favorite and that winning percentage is still in line with his overall winning percentage.
    I'm not a big Tomlin fan. But I don't let that get in the way of the facts and his accomplishments.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think you’re just missing the point of the post.

You said we would never see a pats player talking like Decastro did. I showed a quote where one did.

That was about the sum of it, tbh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Agree!

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    first round bye...dilly, dilly

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    In the playoffs a first round bye is a good thing, a 1 seed gives them the chance to play the lowest ranked seed standing after the wildcard round, and a 2 seed still gives them a first round bye but they have to play a higher ranked seed in the division round, so I guess what your saying is playing 3 games is better than playing 2 games which makes no sense to me, we want the 1 seed and all the advantages that comes with it, so lets shoot for the playoffs to come through Pittsburgh.....

14. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    yes yes yes of course we want a first round bye. It's the playoffs take what you can get!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This really is a silly question. Of course, the Steelers are better off with a bye.

Any time you play a game in the NFL, losing is a possibility. Playing one more playoff game means one more opportunity to lose.

Also, there is the injury factor. That would be one more game of wear and tear on the team, one more opportunity to lose a key player.

Those two factors alone make this a ridiculous argument.

• Agree Agree x 2