1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we put a spy on Tebow?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Cbus Steelers, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Defensively do you think we should assign a defender to spy Tebow the whole game? If so, who should it be? Troy can obviously cover a ton of ground but do we want him freelancing more? How about Timmons? Or is a spy not the best way to defend the Denver offense? I appreciate your thoughts...go Steelers!

2. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Our standard zone defense should suffice. If it doesn't, use Timmons as a spy.

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Don't think a spy is needed for Tebow. Did teams ever put a spy on Mike Alstott? Tebow is a runnign QB, but not in the same league as Mike Vick, who deserves a spy. We just hammer home to our guys to stay in their gaps and take on blocks. If Tebow does make it outside of the two best run-stopping OLB's in the game then he'll have #43 to avoid.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I say do exactly what KC did with him, we have the personnel to do this.
    Say what you want about Tebow, the son of gun is a winner and you don't want
    it to be close going into the fourth quarter, he seems to have led a magical life
    up to this point.

5. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think Yes we use a spy and yes it should be 43

6. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Using Troy as a spy would be a waste and take him out of all the other things he does. Play Troy as normal and he will be in tebows head all game -- hell, veteran QBs are troubled by him. We should not need to spy Tebow, just maintain discipline on defense and stay in the lanes/places. If we find we need to assign someone to him, I would choose Timmons.

I am actually more worried about McGahee -- he has given us trouble in the past.

7. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!:

8. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Didn't see any of that game...what was KC's strategy vs. Tebow?

9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think the coaches will put a spy on him in certain situations. Those situations will probably be related to down and distance.

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If im tomlin i tell harrison the second he crosses the line hit him hard enough that he can have a one on one convo with jesus.

11. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Too bad Ryan Clark has to sit this one out.... I think McGahee would have been a non-factor thinking about that hit in Pittsburgh a few years ago. :roflmao:

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    That is one of my all time favorite pictures. Power backs to bother me hybrid backs seem to give this defense fits though.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't like the idea of a spy. Denver is running that triple option stuff, if Troy is just dedicated to Tebow Steelers could get burned.

14. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Farrior/Foote as the spy. They are the ones always hanging out in the middle. I feel Tebow will run alot cause of our tight pass defense and no where to throw.

15. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    :roflmao: That was great! :clapping: :herewego:
    Unfortunately, it would probably lead to a one on one convo from Goodell, telling him he`s now suspended indefinitely, for hitting a qb too hard, and playing the game the way it was meant to be played! :frustrated: :doh:
    Actually, I thought the "spy" thing was an interesting question...
    Upon further review...
    I agree with the majority who believe that would be a waste of Troy`s talents, and in situations where it is likely, Farrior/ Foote could be on high alert for it.(or other LBs... not sure the old men would have the speed, but if they gave a shout out to Timmons/ Woodley?)
    HERE WE GO STEELERS... HERE WE GO!!!
    DEEEEEFFFFEEENNNNSSSE!!!! (Wins Championships :praying: )

16. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    How about 007 himself? Seriously, I don't think LeBeau will deem this necessary. Our LB's will handle St. Tebow well enough.

17. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This is a good thread. I was thinking this would be a good idea at first, but McGahee can hurt us too if we focus too much on Tebow. I liked Kansas City's game plan last week and hope we can incorporate some of it into ours.

18. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    NO!!! Tebow cant beat our base defense......Why change it??

19. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    KC played man coverage, got some pressure on Tebow and FORCED him to make throws to beat them and he couldn't do it! I will be shocked if he has more than a 50% completion percentage and 150 yards passing unless in total garbage time after we secure a big lead and resort to a very soft zone! Tebow looked horroble against KC last weekend and I believe that defenses' have figured him out!

20. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    A spy every down? No. 3rd and long? Yes. Make him beat us throwing. If a guy like Timmons is hanging out and 100% dedicated to stopping him from scrambling for the first down, it will be almost impossible for him to get it. And that's the most likely way they'd get first downs on 3rd and long. By broken play scrambles.

21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Broncos best WR's are Eric Decker (612 yrds. 8 TD's) and Demaryius Thomas (551 yrds. 4 TD's) with Brandon Lloyd a distant third. The Steelers should be able to cover them well enough to allow Troy to roam and give Tebow headaches.

22. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Very distant. I believe he's three states over.

23. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would only think a spy is necessary when you have a QB that can get out of the pocket quick and scramble AND hes also poses a legitimate deep threat as well. Tebow does not pose such a big deep threat so as someone stated before, our Zone Coverage should suffice.

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We should plow the holes.....I have worked against a lot of Zone Read and if the QB is not very accurate which is what I feel we are facing......We should simply man up and send anyone not in pass coverage......Make the QB prove he can make the throws ,,,but he will have no doubt that there are no running lanes for him or the RB......

Actually I love a walk around D vs. a Zone read O.....The OL don't know who to block nor does the QB know who to read......So go with a NT down and let the rest stand up and move all around.......This would drive Tebow crazy and from my experience he will start giving it to the RB almost every time no matter whether 2 guys are crashing on the RB or not.....

Don't get me wrong the Zone Read can be a great Offense ,but if you can't pass simply assign 2 guys from each side to designated player.....Mix it up so they never know who is hitting who is why I like standing them up against that type of O.....
    Now if the QB can hit the Zone Read PA Pass then it becomes almost Impossible to stop......

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They kept him bottled up, did not let him get outside. Of course the end from
    Penn State Tamba (sp) got lots of pressure and Tebow was limited to the pocket
    and we see what he does in the pocket. Not very good.