1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do we move on from Ladarius Green?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5859, Dec 27, 2016.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It might be a little pre-mature, but with his history of concussions do we look at drafting another passing catching TE or look in free agency?

I wish him nothing but a healthy return but the next hit to the head, regardless how slight, he'll be back on the bench again. And it's not certain he'll be back for the playoffs because it will probably take him a little longer to recover with his past concussion problems.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Look towards free agency. TE's take a long time to develop.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We have money invested in him so he comes to camp next year. James is improving. If a FA is available at the right price, sure you consider it. I would not draft one unless someone outstanding drops to use. Certainly not in round or even two.

4. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I think Jesse James could easily be our top TE given a bit more time ,,Almost Heath like ..

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think the only way we move on is if he is not healthy to start next season.. I think this year Grimble and James did good enough in his absence. Also, we have to see how he does in the playoffs as well. If he doesn't play due to this "concussion" then maybe you keep it in your mind for what you are looking for next year, but I wouldn't be mad if we just kept James and Grimble.. Both have shown flashes of brilliance this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He and one of the SD coaches have said the concussions last year were a misdiagnosed sinus infection. Us Pens fans know all too well about missed diagnosed concussions.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I think it's very premature to think about the potential for moving on from him. Some people get several concussions and keep playing. Everyone's different. I've had a few, one major one, and I've taken some big blows to the head without getting another. I haven't heard anything to indicate his career or even post-season is in jeopardy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    No, we've got plenty of depth at TE. If anything draft a blocking TE... you can fill that on the 2nd day of the draft. If Green can't play at all this season then maybe we have that discussion but my guess is he'll be ready for the playoffs.

Are we at risk of losing any key starters to FA? Nice thing is we are not desperate for anything that I know of. OLB has to be the biggest need. Everything else is depth.

The priority this off season should be an OLB and DL. If there is a chance to get a good Safety than we should pull the trigger. I want to see an upgrade to Mike Mitchell. Someone has to replace Harrison and Jarvis Jones.

My hope is our first 3 picks will be OLB, Safety, and ILB. Use FA to sign a starting NT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I can't speak on any other concussions, but this one was caused by a big blow to the head. I'm just glad he held onto the ball. This guy is an asset going into the playoffs.3 weeks is more then enough time to recover.

10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    He might quit football and retire for all we know. I could see he is fearful when he plays.

We probably thought he was the competitive advantage we were looking for when we got him, but it did not pan out. He is damaged goods.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    While Green's body of work with the Steelers has been good at times on wide open passes - based on what we've seen, I'm not sure he hangs on to that first TD pass that Grimble made in tight coverage at the goal line. Hats off to Grimble for getting things started. Hope Green can re-join the fun over the next few weeks.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol...
    You're kidding right?

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You guys have to be kidding.

I wasn't a fan of the signing because I thought the guys they had would be just fine when I thought Martavis was going to be playing this year.

Without Martavis and with Coates not being the take the top off threat on the outside, Green gives this offense the deep threat over the middle Jesse just doesn't have at this point.

He has the ability to work out of the coverage for huge gains because he's deceptively fast.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He was a key contributer during the stretch run. He has an element that neither James nor Grimble do. I expect him to be ready for the playoffs and help the team do well. Should he pick up where he left off, I see no reason to move on from him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I think it would be dumb to sign a TE via FA. If we sign any free agents it should be an OLD or DT. Grimble and JJ are both great TEs and they both have assets that the other does not. I see Grimble being a star TE in years to come, and JJ is a reliable player, kind of reminds me of Heath. But Green will be back for playoffs I believe. But yes, one more bad concussion, who knows what he will do...

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with those who want to keep Green around. TE is not a position of need right now... Jesse James and X Grimble seem to be doing enough currently to draw attention away from AB.

17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    If he dosen't come back for the playoffs, then what good is he to us. If everytime he gets hit in the helmet he goes out on concussion protocol, you can't have a guy like that on your team. He should retire if that's the case.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm gonna have to tell Mrs. TTF that those smacks upside the head are taking there toll:smiley1:......I know from experience trust me....;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He got smacked catching a dangerous ball that helped win the game for them.

That was not just a tap he took.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    No. the only way we move on from him is if he retires. He's proven himself to be an asset when healthy. We have him under contract for a few more years left. No reason to take the dead money and cut a good player because he's been hurt this year.

21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I say let him go and let me keep the $25mill. I will be around for the long haul anyway.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It's a dead money hit....Big one.

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Honestly we need him right now for the playoff run. We need everyone healthy to even remotely have a chance

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they move on from Green I'm sure there would be some type of salary cap hit, and you want them to go back into FA and sign another TE. The majority of their money will be spent on AB and Bell this offseason.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Their first 3 picks should be OLB, DL, then BPA. They have Vince Williams and Matakevich at ILB, not a priority IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2